No announcement yet.

DIY Solar Panels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just realized I never showed y'all my DIY panel mount so here it is.

I started out by cutting the drop sealing rails to length then welded washers to bolts to ride in the tracks.

I then mounted the rails on the shop roof screwing them on the ridges and into rafters with 6", 3/8" lag bolts.

Next I attached the connectors to the welding leads and ran them through holes I drilled in the ridge with rubber grommets installed.

Lastly, mounted the panels, wired in series, and tied in to the charge controller.

It was asked how much a system like mine would cost. Well, retail, just for the equipment and supplies is right at $3,200. I can power my entire shop with it less my 220V welder!

Life is too short, live it to its fullest!

~Michael

Comment

Thanks for bumping this thread. The wife and I have talked about doing panels on the roof of our house. I think we'd benefit more from doing radiant barrier in the attic first. We have a 2 story house and the downstairs will pretty much stay around 76 or cooler depending on the time of day. The upstairs however is a different story, it gets up to 80 before noon due to all the heat in the attic above and around the living area.

Comment

That is very true! Look into installing a solar attic fan too, you can thank me later.

~Michael

Comment

I've been thinking about doing this, but, I'm thinking about adding 12v light strips inside my house and just running those off of it.
          My wife likes to turn on every light in the house. Just to sit and watch TV or read/play on her tablet.

So I could rig up some 12v lights ( which we sell here at work) and she could run them all night if she wanted.

But I'd really like to do a complete system and reduce our energy bill.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a 12V LED strip in my little cabin, a couple 12V fans and USB outlets. For us it is the only way we could have power to it. Add in my little inverter and we are very comfortable.

I need to add more 12V LED's to the shop and I will be good to go.

~Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
              I have a 12V LED strip in my little cabin, a couple 12V fans and USB outlets. For us it is the only way we could have power to it. Add in my little inverter and we are very comfortable.

I need to add more 12V LED's to the shop and I will be good to go.

~Michael
              Just let me know what you want and I can put an order in for some LED lights.

Comment

I'll visit with you tomorrow about it. I haven't decided on which route to go yet. We are going to test every concept in the shop that I want in the new cabin to work out bugs and make sure it is what we want. I know I'm going to need a couple more 12v squirrel cages for thermal cooling.

~Michael

Comment

Tagged

Comment

I just added another 600 watts of solar to our "hobby grid". Now to plan out upgrading our battery bank to Trojan T-105's w/auto water system! 12 should take care of us.

~Michael

Comment

Is anyone else putting a system together? I'm in the process of designing and then installing a small system on a local business owners place to replace his backup UPS. I'll post pics as we go because this one, though small (450 watts), is going to be VERY stealth. Makes me rethink my configuration.

~Michael

Comment

DIY Solar Panels

BTW, we are in the process of starting a "Self Sustaining" consulting, architecture, and construction LLC. Until we do and I become a sponsor, all consulting and design is free to everyone!

~Michael

Comment

Check this one out...WOW!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdBHfQwKyM4"]Video 1 - An Introduction To Our Northeast Texas Off Grid Project - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2toPNWSRBM"]Video 3 - Solar Electric System Install - YouTube[/ame]
                          Last edited by Brazos Hunter; 08-25-2016, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Who did you use to build your lake? We are looking at having a 1 to 2 acre pond dug in the Greenville area, and I'm looking for recommendations.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by crumrw View Post
                              Who did you use to build your lake? We are looking at having a 1 to 2 acre pond dug in the Greenville area, and I'm looking for recommendations.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, it's not our place. I found the video on YouTube

~Michael

Comment

I have been looking into a system to have shipped to me. It will basically be a stand alone system at the ranch cabin. should hopefully power everything we need. we will be running propane for stove and shower. all else should be off solar. correct me if Im saying incorrectly, but running a 48V unit for the AC unit. the rest of energy stored in the banks, will be converted down to 12V and used for a majority of the indoor needs. I have been trying to do my reading and have a BIL who will be helping me. will try to post pics as we go.

We just finished the shell for the cabin, and have a little bit of roughed in plumbing done. next project is getting water to the cabin, and then the electrical is next.

the AC unit is a wall unit and a condenser that sits outside. 18K BTU is what we are using with some large fan units to help distribute. the cabin is 900 sf, and we are installing radiant barriers along the underside of the vaulted ceiling( only 14 feet at highest point) and no attic. its been fun so far, but may be looking to this thread for a little help. thanks for all the posting so far, its been helpful

Joseph

Comment

Working...
                                X