2018 CA deer thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2018 CA deer thread

3 months and counting down to July 14. If the plan comes together- my last blacktail deer season as a CA resident. The plan is to ‘retire’ in Montana next year. I’m already thinking about the first annual TBH elk hunt with some long-time friends.

I started this early because we went out for pigs in rain Saturday morning. In the pre dawn darkness and in the the fog (or the clouds since were above the valley) I swear I saw the blacktail buck we’ve naned “the ghost”. He looks like a mulie, 4x4 and huge body. Other bucks are in early velvet- and this guy was solo in a field with a full rack- in April. He stood there with the same look I’ve seen before- almost arrogant staring me down at 100 yards. The fog thickened, and when it cleared- 2 smaller deer were in the field. The ghost, again.

My buddy put 3, 30-06 rounds in this pig, 2 in shoulder (one exited through his jaw) and one shattered his spine- and he still ran and rolled down a hill into the poison oak.

Big boar.

All smiles after the dragging. The the work started carrying him up and out. My new Kuiu pack got it’s first hunt and blood on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going to be nice to get out of that Cali mess.
    Best of luck this year and even better luck on the Montana retirement

Comment

Tags for pigs still crack me up Bill!!

Comment

I'm sure you'll be much happier in Montana!

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
          Tags for pigs still crack me up Bill!!

They went from no-tag, to $8.90 for a book of 5 tags (to pay for a DFG program to map where the pugs were killed- supposed to help hunters see where to hunt), to $22.42 per pig. Who made up $22.42?

Comment

Congrats on taking the pigs. Congrats on the future move as well. Montana should be nice.

Comment

[QUOTE=Bill in San Jose;13302564]They went from no-tag, to $8.90 for a book of 5 tags (to pay for a DFG program to map where the pugs were killed- supposed to help hunters see where to hunt), to $22.42 per pig. Who made up $22.42?

And they should be paying you to shoot them.
              Congrats on the pork and your impending retirement.

Comment

There’s a state assemblyman from the rural region up north trying to get the law changed. Pigs would be classified as an exotic, a tag would be $15 for unlimited pigs. I called his office saying I support, and suggesting he add 24/7 legal shooting.

I’m out for turkeys and pigs this am. None. BUT we saw the ghost. 300+ yards into next property, big rack (3x3 now) and he stood staring for a minute with a defiant look. By the time I grabbed my phone he took off with a smaller buck.

A couple hours later there were 4 nice bucks about 200 yards away, who seemed unconcerned when I snapped pictures from my pickup.

2 months to archery deer opener,

Comment

Nice pig!

Good luck getting the Ghost.

Comment

The deer opener is 5 weeks from yesterday. I’ve been hiking hard with 30 pounds in my new hunting pack to get prepared for Sept Montana elk, which will help me with the steep hills for deer.

I’m shooting my ‘new’ Sarrels recurve and confident at 15-20 yards and working on 30.

Speaking of elk- there are 2 lottery draw tags for tule elk in my county- the mountains to the east of the silicon valley has a healthy native elk herd. Zero public land , but still 2 very difficult tags to draw.

Comment

Always look forward to these July deer hunting posts and stories. Looking forward to this year again. Hope you get that big one that you've been chasing!

Comment

oh and when you get ready for others to join you hunting elk in Montana... You have my number...

I know your goal - someone much bigger and younger to hunt with so they can help once the elk is down. I'm younger but not much. Your son can handle the much younger checkbox. I can handle the much bigger one! :-) I need to do it anyway so going to start trying to get into elk hunting shape for 2019.

Comment

You can't leave California. It gives us hope knowing there are good Godly people in that state that love to hunt.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

2018 CA deer thread

The opener is 4 weeks from yesterday. We went for pigs (none- the sly devils) but saw some nice 2x2- for a lot of blacktails that’s as many tines as they’ll ever have.

Spotted this guy on a ridge. Did a bino-iPhone picture.

Side

Another smaller fork

Game cam up on sone trails, let’s see what’s there.in a couple weeks.

Funny- I’m just used to hunting in brown grass, rain is done until next December. No magic why fire season so dangerous.

Last edited by Bill; 06-17-2018, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Well, the last time I plan to purchase a CA resident hunting license and deer tag. And worry about lead restrictions- although my Tikka T3 shoots great with Barnes Vor-tx copper.

Comment

Working...
                              X