Another Snake ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by texast224 View Post
    Not sure what's more ridiculous, some of the comments on this thread or me staying up till midnight reading it.

We killed chicken snakes all the time growing up. We had chickens, an they would eat our eggs. They would eat my pet quail. Chicken snake = dead snake around my place. Plus you can throw em over the fence to bring on a rain. If folks don't like that they are more than welcome to go pound sand.
    I have no problem with that as I often do the same with any chicken snakes around the chicken house.
    If you kill a snake because it is about to cause harm to you or your property(chicken eggs), that is perfectly fine in my book. It's the people that kill a snake just because it is a snake that bother me. Around kids, if you don't know the snake, better safe than sorry. But as many have posted, there are only 4 venomous snakes in Texas and they are all easily identified. Learn those 4 and leave the rest alone if they aren't causing any problems.

Originally posted by Threadgill View Post
    Was anyone on here bitten by a non-venomous snake over 4ft. when they were a kid? I was, twice. And guess what, it freakin hurts. I don't blame you at all for killing any large snake around your children. All snakes bite, whether they are venomous or not. If you walk up on it in the woods, fine let it go. But in the kid's play area, it needs to be dealt with.
    Chicken snakes(Texas Rat Snake) and the banded water snake both will readily strike when provoked. This snake was neither one of those. It would be difficult to get this kingsnake to bite you. There are several other snakes that rarely bite regardless of how/if they are handled.

Comment

Food for thought. There are actually 4 more mildly venomous snakes in Texas. None of them can hurt you, just the things that they eat.

Dusky Hognose
      Texas lyre snake
      Texas night snake
      and one other I can't recall off the top of my head.

I haven't seen a Speckled King in a long time. Had several as pets and very docile. The corn snake I have at home bites me every time I change the water. I have been bitten by tons of non-venomous snakes of all sizes, even on the face and it doesn't hurt that bad. If I can figure out how to upload a video, I will show yall.

As far as killing them, people are gonna do what they do so I just do what I do and don't worry about it. I trained my kids early to come to me first so we could find out what kind it is, so now they are as bad as me as far as picking them up. Except the venomous ones.

Comment

Originally posted by RickyS View Post
        gar eat snakes
        Is this true? I was looking for this last night but did not have any luck. Where is M-2

Comment

Originally posted by medic151 View Post
          Food for thought. There are actually 4 more mildly venomous snakes in Texas. None of them can hurt you, just the things that they eat.

Dusky Hognose
          Texas lyre snake
          Texas night snake
          and one other I can't recall off the top of my head.......
          Northern Cat Eye Snake, lives only in the valley. Raymondville TX down to Central Americia.

Comment

Before too long we're going to need an "I love snakes" forum

Comment

Speckled King!!! My favorite snake....Wish he was still alive

Comment

Note to self: "Never post about killing a snake"......

Good call Anlters86. I would have done the same thing.

Comment

I ain't even going to offer my opinion on the snake situation, because I don't want to get tongue lashed for loving or hating them...its near abouts getting to be where you can't post any kind of thread around here without creating some sort of confrentational discussion. Grant-it, some of these can get quite comical, but its always fun at someones expense. Whether your criticizing snake lovers or criticizing some one who's an idiot when it comes to snakes, (not calling OP an idiot by any means, because I'm not a reptile guru myself. Just using as an example) its your business, but just keep in mind alot of times you can sure come across the wrong way. I just like the threads more where we gang up on political leaders moreso than other members. Lol...I keep my opinions to myself alot and do more reading than posting, and I'm sure alot of others are the same way, and threads like this are why...just saying.
                  .and I'm sure someone wont like it, but hey...it is what it is...if nothing else, some of it dang sure keeps me entertained reading at work. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by rossivey View Post
                    Before too long we're going to need an "I love snakes" forum
                    A "I hate and kill all snakes because it makes me feel tough" forum might be more appropriate. Snakes are part of the outdoors that all of us claim to enjoy. Killing an animal just because is never a good idea, no matter what animal it is. If there is a rational reason, do be it. Killing a venomous snake near homes/children and killing a egg-stealing rat snake are rational reasons.
                    Killing all snakes just because it is a snake and it might be dangerous makes as much sense as killing all deer just because it is a deer and it might hit my truck.
                    With that said, I'll agree that I'm not going to change your mind if you'll agree that your not going to change mine.
                    I'll just continue to try and educate the people that want to learn more about the animals that they will encounter in the outdoors.

Comment

Originally posted by denowt View Post
                      A "I hate and kill all snakes because it makes me feel tough" forum might be more appropriate. Snakes are part of the outdoors that all of us claim to enjoy. Killing an animal just because is never a good idea, no matter what animal it is. If there is a rational reason, do be it. Killing a venomous snake near homes/children and killing a egg-stealing rat snake are rational reasons.
                      Killing all snakes just because it is a snake and it might be dangerous makes as much sense as killing all deer just because it is a deer and it might hit my truck.
                      With that said, I'll agree that I'm not going to change your mind if you'll agree that your not going to change mine.
                      I'll just continue to try and educate the people that want to learn more about the animals that they will encounter in the outdoors.
                      Peoples fear of snakes is no different than someone's fear of spiders or anything else. Just becasue you aren't afraid of them doesn't mean someone else isn't. My wife's scared to death of spiders, all spiders. Ever the teeny tiny ones. She could smash them with her hand but is too terrified to get that close. I could pick one up but that doesn't mean she isn't still afraid. Who is anybody to tell anyone else what they should or should not be afraid of? I don't care what the snake is good for, if it's around me or my children, it's a dead snake. The OP didn't go hunting down that kingsnake. He killed it so his children wouldn't get hurt.

Comment

I'll just continue to try and educate the people that want to learn more about the animals that they will encounter in the outdoors.[/QUOTE]

This ^

With all of the snake ID threads on this site, it shouldnt be too hard to learn the 4 types of venemous snakes. I wont ever bust anyone up for killing a snake around their kids, but its just as easy to scoop one up in a shovel and bucket and relocate to a wooded area. No reason to kill Gods creatures just for the hell of it. Educate! (your kids too)

Comment

Originally posted by rossivey View Post
                          Peoples fear of snakes is no different than someone's fear of spiders or anything else. Just becasue you aren't afraid of them doesn't mean someone else isn't. My wife's scared to death of spiders, all spiders. Ever the teeny tiny ones. She could smash them with her hand but is too terrified to get that close. I could pick one up but that doesn't mean she isn't still afraid. Who is anybody to tell anyone else what they should or should not be afraid of? I don't care what the snake is good for, if it's around me or my children, it's a dead snake. The OP didn't go hunting down that kingsnake. He killed it so his children wouldn't get hurt.
                          His children were in no danger from that kingsnake. They may actually be in more danger now because kings kill rattlesnakes. If you see a snake, it's probably because a food source is nearby.
                          With that being said, I can understand someone being scared of snakes.
                          I just don't want to hear about it every time someone asks for the ID of a snake.
                          If someone starts a thread about killing a snake, then those comments would be appropriate. When someone asks for the ID of a snake, those comments add no value to the thread and usually start bickering and chest pounding by the participants.
                          Start a thread with "I'm scared if snakes, look what I killed" and I'll stay off of them if the snake killers stay off the ID threads. Truce?

Comment

cant make everybody happy

bottom line-the kids are safe in their yard-
                            Attached Files

Comment

You whack these any where close to your yard, this one was on the Refuge and protected.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ckuehl View Post
                                So a question for the people that are "educating" this guy. What if this snake would have slithered on over and bit his kid. Would you all be so quick to just relocate it? I don't agree with killing every snake but sometimes they get cut up.
                                Snakes don't just slither over to people and bite them...they have to be disturbed or feel they are in danger before they bite

Comment

Working...
                                X