24 volt trolling motor wiring diagram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Bald Guy View Post
    Since a 80# MinnKota can use up to 56 amps, if the distance from batteries to troller is very far 6 guage wire is a better choice. You can get 6 guage marine duplex on Ebay priced reasonably. If you run a troller hard like we do the twistlock troller plugs can't handle it and burn up. The Anderson quick connectors are cheaper and will last 10X as long.
    Good point. The twistlocks are only rated for 30amps so not a good choice if you run the motor hard.

This is another option for the plug (rated for 100amps).

Comment

Originally posted by ItsLeo View Post
      Good point. The twistlocks are only rated for 30amps so not a good choice if you run the motor hard.

This is another option for the plug (rated for 100amps).

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender.../dp/B002UCLJG0
      Those are neat but you can buy the Andersons for $10 on Ebay.

Comment

Those are neat but you can buy the Andersons for $10 on Ebay.
        Post a link please. I will probably buy one just to have a spare.

Comment

obg the boat electric man for sure!!

Comment

You want to make absolutely sure that your wiring is rated for at least 60amps and install a 60amp breaker between the batteries and the motor.Some older boats were wired with 12ga for trolling motors. That's only good for about 40amps. That 80lb motor will draw around 56amps at full power and roast 12ga wire!

Use 8ga marine wire and install the breaker. The three prong twist plug by marinco is the way to go for plugs. You only wire two prongs but the third helps it lock securely in place.

Rigging two 12V batteries in series is how you get the 24V. They need to both be deep cycle batteries that are the same age. Don't mix battery types and batteries of different age in series circuits.
            Where can I get a 60 amp breaker, and do I have to do any wire cutting and soldering back together.

Also, I got some 8 gauge wire from Lowe's. It is not marine wire. Will it still work for my purposes? Thanks.

I have a deep cycle battery that I bought last year. If I buy another one exactly the same, can I use the two together, being that one is one year older?

Comment

I use the Maxi Fuse holders from Napa. Crimp/solder a ring terminal on one end for the battery and install a 60 amp fuse. Cheap, simple and water resistant. I use 50 amp Anderson connectors for troller plugs with 10 guage contants for the troller wire and 6 guage for the boat wiring. They are rated for 50 amps but will handle a 80# troller wide open all night without getting warm. Depending on the distance from batteries to troller you may get by with 8 awg but 6 awg is a better choice for a 80# troller.
              Attached Files

Comment

oops
                Last edited by Old Bald Guy; 05-28-2012, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HUNTING_COACH View Post
                  Where can I get a 60 amp breaker, and do I have to do any wire cutting and soldering back together.

Also, I got some 8 gauge wire from Lowe's. It is not marine wire. Will it still work for my purposes? Thanks.

I have a deep cycle battery that I bought last year. If I buy another one exactly the same, can I use the two together, being that one is one year older?
                  West Marine carries the breakers. Any other decent Marine supply store should carry them. Install the breaker near the battery. Attach the negative cable lug on the motor to the breaker. Install an 8ga jumper with a lug on each end from the other side of the breaker to the negative post of the first battery in series. No cutting or soldering involved just buy a long enough jumper wire to go from breaker to battery.

Marine wire is a lot more important in Saltwater than fresh. It's mostly the toughness of the insulation. If it's 8 ga rated it should handle the same current as the marine wire. It just may not hold up as long.

You might be ok (it's definitely not ideal) with using those two batteries together as long as one hasn't been through a whole bunch more charging cycles and is a lot weaker. Take them to a battery store and have them tested to see how closely they match. Tell them you plan to use them in a 24vdc circuit.

Comment

Attach the negative cable lug on the motor to the breaker.
                    Why do you recomend installing the breaker on the negative side? Serious question-I'm all about learning new tricks for wiring boats.

Comment

Why do you recomend installing the breaker on the negative side? Serious question-I'm all about learning new tricks for wiring boats.
                      Here is the wiring diagram from trollingmotors.net

http://www.trollingmotors.net/trolli...ing%20Diagrams

I suspect the reasoning for this is due to the direction of electron flow being opposite of the direction of charge flow. Probably wouldn't make a significant difference. But just in case it does I followed the diagram.

Comment

I use the Maxi Fuse holders from Napa. Crimp/solder a ring terminal on one end for the battery and install a 60 amp fuse. Cheap, simple and water resistant. I use 50 amp Anderson connectors for troller plugs with 10 guage contants for the troller wire and 6 guage for the boat wiring. They are rated for 50 amps but will handle a 80# troller wide open all night without getting warm. Depending on the distance from batteries to troller you may get by with 8 awg but 6 awg is a better choice for a 80# troller.
                        Man, I wish I knew more about wiring and electrical stuff. This is kind of confusing to me, but I will figure it out. Where do the Anderson connectors come in to play? Where are they connected on the wire, running from the plug in at the bow of the boat, to the battery?

Sorry for the questions, and sounding like a wiring rookie, but I guess if the shoe fits.

West Marine carries the breakers. Any other decent Marine supply store should carry them. Install the breaker near the battery. Attach the negative cable lug on the motor to the breaker. Install an 8ga jumper with a lug on each end from the other side of the breaker to the negative post of the first battery in series. No cutting or soldering involved just buy a long enough jumper wire to go from breaker to battery.Marine wire is a lot more important in Saltwater than fresh. It's mostly the toughness of the insulation. If it's 8 ga rated it should handle the same current as the marine wire. It just may not hold up as long.

You might be ok (it's definitely not ideal) with using those two batteries together as long as one hasn't been through a whole bunch more charging cycles and is a lot weaker. Take them to a battery store and have them tested to see how closely they match. Tell them you plan to use them in a 24vdc circuit.
                        Again, dont really understand the lingo. What do you mean by "lug"? Also, when I connect the two batteries together, what gauge wire should I use to connect the two batteries together?

Thanks, and keep the advice coming.

Comment

Here is the wiring diagram from trollingmotors.net

http://www.trollingmotors.net/trolli...ing%20Diagrams

I suspect the reasoning for this is due to the direction of electron flow being opposite of the direction of charge flow. Probably wouldn't make a significant difference. But just in case it does I followed the diagram.
                          Strange that they show the breaker on the negative. Minnkota shows the breaker on the positive in all their diagrams but some of the older MinnKotas came with a breaker installed in the jumper wire. Maybe it doesn't matter since there isn't anything else on those batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by HUNTING_COACH View Post
                            Man, I wish I knew more about wiring and electrical stuff. This is kind of confusing to me, but I will figure it out. Where do the Anderson connectors come in to play? Where are they connected on the wire, running from the plug in at the bow of the boat, to the battery?

Sorry for the questions, and sounding like a wiring rookie, but I guess if the shoe fits.

Again, dont really understand the lingo. What do you mean by "lug"? Also, when I connect the two batteries together, what gauge wire should I use to connect the two batteries together?

Thanks, and keep the advice coming.
                            The Andersons are a cheap heavy duty alternative to the more expensive but prone to failure troller plug in systems on the market. MinnKota has started selling them as HD connectors so we must be on to something.
                            By lugs I think he means ring terminals.
                            Most of the factory jumper wires are 10 guage but a tad bigger won't hurt.
                            I gotta add that I set up trollers/boats for extreme duty/bowfishing so I'm prone to go heavy duty on everything.lol

Comment

This is what I have found for circuit breakers. Will this work?

We specialize in bow mount trolling motors for serious fishermen with medium to larger sized boats. Enjoy free shipping on all motors.

Also, what type of wire would be best to connectthe two batteries to each other? Should I cut some of the 8 gauge wire that I have, and make the connection with said wire, or do I need to buy a jumper specific type of wire?

Ok, so basically, the Anderson is just a plug/receptacle for the trolling motor. I would just plug in the wires from the trolling motor to the Anderson receptacle, just as I would one of these:

Thanks.
                              Last edited by HUNTING_COACH; 05-28-2012, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Strange that they show the breaker on the negative. Minnkota shows the breaker on the positive in all their diagrams but some of the older MinnKotas came with a breaker installed in the jumper wire. Maybe it doesn't matter since there isn't anything else on those batteries.
                                http://store.minnkotamotors.com/medi.../2374919ra.pdf
                                Looks like it doesn't matter.

Comment

Working...
                                X