No announcement yet.

fire ant bite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel for you guys. I get bit by fire ants 10 times or so a week.
    Up until a few years ago it wasn't bad. When I got my new place it seems like I have stronger ants. They actually make you feel like the bite area is on fire.

Comment

You guys do realize this is an 8 YEAR OLD THREAD, right?

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
        You guys do realize this is an 8 YEAR OLD THREAD, right?
        But fireants aren't extinct????

Comment

Has the swelling gone down? is there an update?

Comment

My suggestion is to see your doctor, explain the situation to him/her and ask for a prescription for a topical steroidal cream. OTC cortisone is not going to help you with a reaction as you describe. If you are not having problems with breathing, or breaking out in hives, I doubt you need an Epi-pen. Fire ant bites are nasty, the next time you are bitten, I'd get ice on the bite as soon as possible, and apply the steroidal cream, and take the Benadryl caps.

Good luck,

Dave

Comment

This is what works for me:
              *Mitigator Sting & Bite...apply to ANY insect bite immediately (Amazon best place to buy.) My military son keeps this with him on deployments. Scrub and most of the time pain & itching goes away within seconds.
              *Get a prescription for TRIAMCINOLONE ACETONIDE CREAM. Generic form is cheap and it takes care of the "later stages" of itching and swelling. Works GREAT.

The 2nd suggestion for the cream was what my physician prescribed after a Bee sting that swelled my ear up big time. Only took 1 day for the swelling to go down and quit bothering me. He also prescribed an Epi pen, but I have a paramedic background and WON'T use it unless I know possible anaphylaxis...what it is intended for and not just severe NON-allergic stings/bites. Anaphylaxis comes on quickly and is a true severe allergic reaction which can result in death....NOT to treat the "itching."

Again....EPI pens are meant to "prevent" the condition of Anaphylaxis (respiratory shut down, cardiac arrhythmias, etc.....it will KILL you."

Feel your pain but as suggested....talk to your physician!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                But fireants aren't extinct????
                No but Hughiam moved to Alaska 5 years ago to get away from fire ants so he "solved" his problem...

Comment

*****.... Now that's a man who hates fire ants right there!

Comment

Anyone used MSG powder mixed into a paste with water and applied to the bite? I recently was told this is the ticket. Haven’t tried it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Hughiam View Post
                      It seems Im mildly allergic to everything that bites. Mosquitos tend to welt up about the 1/4 size of a golf ball. So a reaction to a fire ant bite was expected.

I got bit in May by ONE of those little cusses and my ankle swelled up to nearly a softball size. Eventually went away, I took benedryl etc.

I got bit again, same ankle yesterday. I felt it, pulled the little $%^&& off me and squished him. Today, my ankle is swelling and the bite area is actually got a blister on it about 3/8" around and filled with water(it looks like a second degree burn blister).

Anyone else go through this and what do you do for them? This is rediculously itchy and painful, and Im kinda worried that eventually Ill develop a real allergy and vapor lock. It happened to a coworker of mine back in MI with spiders. He ended up in the hospital and was told if he ever got bit again his heart might stop.

Here’s how it works....

Let’s say you get bit and your mildly allergic. You body sends a rush of “good guys” to attack the “bad guy”.

Being the super tough guy your body is, it says “I ain’t putting up with that nonsense again.” So the next time you get bit, your body sends a whole platoon. Go in their and squash the bad guy quickly! Hence the greater reaction.

The problem lies in that your “good guys” don’t know they’re hurting you too! So what happens next is “The Donald”. You get bit, and Don shows up and says, “I’m in charge!” He sends the whole dang military in an attempt to kill em all and let God sort them out. Problem is, some of those missles hit you and now your fighting for your life.

There’s some big medical words to describe all that, but I was never smart enough to remember them. This last part is where an epic pen comes in. But like these guys said, you need to get some tests done. You can’t fight something the right way if you don’t know what it is. Good luck!! The ants don’t like me either! My dad is deadly allergic to bees, but they don’t seem to bother me.

Comment

Working...
                      X