New rule in my boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glen View Post
    Tryton. Look at Mustang. Pressure activated. Has to be under water to pop. I pull a couple people off the bottom of the lake every year that were "good swimmers".

Mustang are worth the extra money for peace of mind. I hardly take mine off even when fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by crawdaddct View Post
      I'm with you. Have lost two family members to boating accidents. Both at different times. One fell out of the boat, hit his head and drown. Leaving his young son in the boat alone. The other crashed his boat into a tree. Him, his brother, and a buddy swam toward shore. He did not make it, even though he grew up on the water. Witnessed a major accident with a group of teenagers out joy riding. Hit a submerged barge. Kids were banged up. Had to rescue one girl who flew out of the boat into the ship channel. It all happens too fast.
      I am sorry to hear about your losses, but **** glad you're sharing the information.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
        I wish the auto inflatable PDF's were coast guard approved for kids! They are in many other country's around the world and you can get them here in kids sizes but so far the coast guard does not recognize them. However I have been told that most game wardens wont issue a ticket if that is what a kid is wearing. Been thinking about getting one for my son and risking the ticket.

YOu could use them on the kids and have extras that are approved on the boat with you all. That would make it legal.

Comment

Originally posted by SpearChunkaa View Post
          I don't wear mine I'm a great swimmer
          I am going to make the assumption you are just joking and forgot the emoji's... If not, you're dumber than your avatar pic makes you look...

Comment

Originally posted by Tommyh View Post
            never even occurred to me that it would inflate if it got rained on. since i have been looking at kayaks, this is a perfect thread. thank you
            Mine have been rained on without inflating.

Comment

Good to learn of the pressure triggered versions. My kids set off both of ours just splashing water on each other. It was funny until I realized I had to buy two new cartridges.

Comment

Great thread. I make my boys wear jackets religiously while in the boat, but I'm an idiot and don't. I need to change that!

Comment

When big motor is on so is the life jacket. 100% of the time if the water is too cold to swim. Been that way for me for 20+ years.

Comment

Originally posted by wal1809 View Post
                    YOu could use them on the kids and have extras that are approved on the boat with you all. That would make it legal.
                    If it's a kid under 13, they gotta be wearin' it...

Comment

Anytime I am doing more than an idle I have it on. I prefer the full vest type as I would like to think it offers a little more protection from impact if thrown from the boat. I do have an auto inflate in the boat to wear when fishing alone and the water is below about 65

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                        If it's a kid under 13, they gotta be wearin' it...
                        Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by wal1809 View Post
                          Over the years I have been present for 4 major incidents that could have easily ended in death. Some of these did end up with major injuries as in multiple surgeries and weeks in the hospital for some. I have been on a boat where one occupant was knock out and off the boat, under water unconscious. During the hurricane evacuations I went by Academy and bought a zipper bag full of life vests. The manager was there and we started a conversation. When I told him where we were headed he handed me self inflating life vest and said try it out and I'll make it 50% off. I wore it through the duration of the evacuations. I pretty much forgot I had it on.

I just feel like there is no reason to push the envelope. They have made safety so much more comfortable I just decided to draw the line. The new rule is if your feet are on my boat, you're wearing a life jacket, end of story.

Comment

From my research, don't rely on an auto-inflate, wear a regular PFD.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                              I am going to make the assumption you are just joking and forgot the emoji's... If not, you're dumber than your avatar pic makes you look...
                              Salt lick I'm sorry you don't like my Avatar. And I am a fabulous swimmer.

Comment

Something to chew on for all of us... I’m a pretty careful guy and this one made me think. It’s so easy to get in trouble in moving & or cold water.

Also, no matter how tough you think you are, you can’t swim if you’re knocked out!!

Another personal story to add to the thread, no matter how strong of a swimmer you might be, you CANNOT get off of obstructions if you’re pinned in fast water!!!! People drown up here in north Arkansas every year because they DO NOT RESPECT moving water!

Comment

Working...
                                X