Latest knife, a sheepsfoot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest knife, a sheepsfoot.

Here is the most recent knife I have been working. Still need to clean up a few scratches on the blade and sharpen it a little more.

OAL just over 7"
    1/8" 1080 steel
    Black Canvas Micarta pins
    Black liner
    Buckeye burl scales.

This blade was really fun to make and I like how it turned out.

Very nice

Comment

Beautiful scales

Comment

Nice work, Aaron! I like that blade.

Comment

Good job!

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Thanks guys! I have some nice redwood burl and some walnut on the way so I should be posting a few more over the next week or so.

Comment

cool shape and AWESOME wood. was it ordered?

Comment

That is unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by meshmover67 View Post
                    cool shape and AWESOME wood. was it ordered?
                    Not sure what you mean but if you are asking if I ordered the blade or wood, the answer is no. I took a piece of 1080 flat stock and shaped it into a blade using my 2x72 grinder. I then heat treated it and tempered it. The scales were made from buckeye I got off of Ebay and stabilized myself using Cactus Juice stabilizing resin, a vacuum chamber and a vacuum pump.

I do not condone people adding scales to a blade bought off the internet and calling it custom or handmade. Those blades are made in China and can be had for less than 20 bucks. You can't trust the steel, and you can't trust the "maker" if he is not up front and honest about what he is doing. I have been at this almost two years teaching myself how to make a decent knife using the internet and trial and error.

I have mostly been making knives for family while I build up my skills and every person I am close to now has a knife. I am working on my first batch of knives that I hope to sell so I am going to try and get an associate sponsorship soon.

Comment

Cool knife!!

Comment

yeah I was asking if you ordered the wood. Ive seen some like it on some knife sites. I want to get into stabilizing I cut and rip all of my own scales, stabilization would be a step up.

Comment

Originally posted by meshmover67 View Post
                          yeah I was asking if you ordered the wood. Ive seen some like it on some knife sites. I want to get into stabilizing I cut and rip all of my own scales, stabilization would be a step up.
                          Stabilizing can be pretty basic, as long as you have a vacuum pump. I use a giant mason jar I got from Hobby Lobby. I put a hose barb into the lid and sealed it with JB Weld. I have an old toaster oven I got off of CL I use for curing. The main key to success is using DRY wood. If the moisture content isn't less than 10% you aren't going to have success.

Comment

Nice work Sir!

Comment

That's another stunner!

Comment

Working...
                              X