No announcement yet.

South Texas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great fawn crop. Not shooting trophies this year but should have a few next year that will be interesting.

Comment

Spent all of Thanksgiving down there.. The deer show very little interest to corn. We have managed to kill a couple of management deer with some age on em but as far as the big mature deer... They are MIA, and we know we left plenty of them out there last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike M View Post
        So far it has been a really weird year. Seeing tons of 1-4 yr old bucks. Plenty of doe and not nearly as many as fawns as the last 3 years. Not seeing many mature bucks on camera or from the stands. I have hunted 12 sits so far this year and have yet to see a cull or management buck. The few 5.5 or older bucks I have seen have been 145+. We have to kill 25 bucks this year and have only shot 1. Nobody is seeing any to shoot. I know they are out there just not showing themselves. It is greener now then I have ever seen it this time of year in the last 25 years. Hopefully they will start showing up when it gets cooler and closer to the rut. It would be nice to at least wear a jacket to the stand. I've hunted in shorts every sit this year.
        Are y'all still under 145 for culls? Slick 8s or just the 145 at 5.5?

Comment

Frio county bachelor groups are starting to separate but no mature bucks on camera or being seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Cull hunter View Post
            Are y'all still under 145 for culls? Slick 8s or just the 145 at 5.5?
            5.5 or older and 140 or less for management. Points don't matter just score. Trophies are 6.5 plus. We have a bunch of old bucks in the 140's that sneak by every year.

Comment

I'm down south by the Zapata/Webb county line and today when I checked the sd card from the cameras, I saw two different bucks chasing a doe in several pictures through the last four days. Maybe this year the rut is going to start early. For my area, usually that type of action starts after December 18.

Comment

5.5 or older and 140 or less for management. Points don't matter just score. Trophies are 6.5 plus. We have a bunch of old bucks in the 140's that sneak by every year.
                I remember that. Remember years u couldn't see a management deer either.

Comment

I'm new to the forum but I hunt just north of Freer. Anyone heading out this weekend know what the weather will be doing? I'm hoping it is lighter Friday and Saturday than they are saying in the rain forecast. I've never hunted down there with real rain before, how does it seem to change the movement patterns?

Comment

Originally posted by dsharp90 View Post
                    I'm new to the forum but I hunt just north of Freer. Anyone heading out this weekend know what the weather will be doing? I'm hoping it is lighter Friday and Saturday than they are saying in the rain forecast. I've never hunted down there with real rain before, how does it seem to change the movement patterns?
                    Accuweather seems to be calling for the best chance of good rain Sat. night. It sucks down there when it rains hard. You better have 4 wheel drive of forget about riding around in the pasture. Light rain showers will dry up really quick though. The deer don't seem to mind the rain near as much as the hunters do. It is getting real close to rut so the deer will be moving.

Comment

Accuweather seems to be calling for the best chance of good rain Sat. night. It sucks down there when it rains hard. You better have 4 wheel drive of forget about riding around in the pasture. Light rain showers will dry up really quick though. The deer don't seem to mind the rain near as much as the hunters do. It is getting real close to rut so the deer will be moving.
                      Yeah, I've been watching the NOAA QPC charts on a daily basis for rainfall amounts, looks like it should be less than a half inch Friday and Saturday. I have 4x4 in the F-150 so I think we should be ok. We hunted opening weekend for General and saw about 6 doe and a tiny spike yearling. I have never seen grass this thick and green in the pipeline right-of-ways....

Comment

I was down last weekend and the grass is finally starting to die. We did get about 1/3" or rain last Friday evening.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster02 View Post
                          Frio county bachelor groups are starting to separate but no mature bucks on camera or being seen.
                          Same for me. Lot of doe on the feeders and they seem to be moving around a bunch at night.

Just a young buck here and there, but the bachelor groups for now seem to have broken up a bit.

Comment

Some rutting going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Cull hunter View Post
                              Some rutting going on.
                              Are the does cooperating, or the bucks just checking things out. The cold front coming next week might spin things into second gear.

Comment

Brother in jaw seeing some mature bucks locked on does.

Comment

Working...
                                X