No announcement yet.

Coleman treasures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jethro, just being nosy... Did you try lighting the stove prior to working on it??

As reliable as these are, it may have fired up with nothing but fresh fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
      I have a heat drum, need to find a 502 stove

Wife bought it at a garage sale in a pile of stuff and I didn't know what it was until later on
      Don't go bragging Mr. LOL

I will get one when I find the right one. 502's are nice little one burners.

Comment

A collector is FT worth was selling off a lot of lanterns today. Picking up a nice 228 this week.

Comment

Originally posted by 2050z View Post
          Don't go bragging Mr. LOL

I will get one when I find the right one. 502's are nice little one burners.
          Oh I am not bragging, I thought it was some kind of charcoal starter and it got put in the barn with some more stuff. About 3mos later I saw one while looking at some old coleman stuff online and finally figured out what it was

Growing up we had a 2burner stove, a little 200A lantern and occasionally we would use the catalytic heater
          Lots of good memories

Comment

2 burners and double mantles is what we had growing up. I have one of the lanterns. Not sure what happened to our stove, but like most it was probably sold at a garage sale.

Might have get a that heat drum in a couple of weeks. I am going to calm down on collecting for awhile. I need to finish my birth lantern, 1948 228D lantern, and 413G stove.

I need to start making the Coleman boxes for the kids. Each kid will get a stove and two lanterns. My oldest wants the three burner and the other two have picked the 413G's. They have not decided on what lanterns because I keep getting new ones.

Comment

Pretty sure dad still has the stove and lantern in a camping box he made. Set on 2 saw horses and opened up to work on
              Had spaces made for lantern, stove, dishes and a number of other things needed for a camp kitchen

Comment

That's my goal is to make a camp kitchen box for each of them. Trying to make a lot of fun camping memories.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
                  Jethro, just being nosy... Did you try lighting the stove prior to working on it??

As reliable as these are, it may have fired up with nothing but fresh fuel.

No, I didn't because some of it was froze up. The air pilot valve was fine, but the needle valve on the generator was stuck. There was some light rust in the fuel tank too, so I decided I would clean it up before I tried. It looks like that valve was not original either, so I ordered a few parts from Old Coleman parts. They came in today, so it is time to go to work I guess.

The case I will just clean good and leave alone. Burner parts and tubes I may leave alone for now, or I may throw them in the blast cabinet and blast and paint them. Not sure.

Mainly, I have to work over that tank, get the junk out of it and get the new parts on. I may just fire it up from there and see where I am at.

Comment

Jethro you have a nice stove project. Looking forward to seeing the blue flames.

Comment

I need to run by mothers house and get Dad's old lantern. I think it is probably an early to mid 70's. I think he had my grandfathers old lantern too, it was older than that. I just need to see what is there and go from that point. Dads should be in good shape, it might be in running condition as-is.

I'm going to start work on the stove tank tonight. I went by the hardware store and got a few things to get me started. The tank is dry so I think I will start with shaking some small screws in it, using a magnet to get them out, blow the rust out, then maybe a vinegar soak for a day or three. As soon as it is clean I will blast the paint off in my blast cabinet and shoot it with some brown that I think is about right. Then I will bake it in the smoker I use for curing Cerakote.

I have really, really thought about Cerakoting that tank instead of painting it. Burnt bronze would match the typical color for that model very well, or patriot brown would be really close to what it is now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                        I need to run by mothers house and get Dad's old lantern. I think it is probably an early to mid 70's. I think he had my grandfathers old lantern too, it was older than that. I just need to see what is there and go from that point. Dads should be in good shape, it might be in running condition as-is.

I'm going to start work on the stove tank tonight. I went by the hardware store and got a few things to get me started. The tank is dry so I think I will start with shaking some small screws in it, using a magnet to get them out, blow the rust out, then maybe a vinegar soak for a day or three. As soon as it is clean I will blast the paint off in my blast cabinet and shoot it with some brown that I think is about right. Then I will bake it in the smoker I use for curing Cerakote.

I have really, really thought about Cerakoting that tank instead of painting it. Burnt bronze would match the typical color for that model very well, or patriot brown would be really close to what it is now.
                        We used bb's inside the tanks/founts. Metal Rescue does a better job of removing the rust though.

Comment

I live in a small town, I can find any of it here. I have looked for the metal rescue, but no luck.

Comment

Home Depot is only place I can find it.

Comment

I have 3 old coleman lanterns and 2 stoves. no idea on years, but once I get the house built they will go in my mancave. All were working when I put them in storage a couple of years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
                                I have 3 old coleman lanterns and 2 stoves. no idea on years, but once I get the house built they will go in my mancave. All were working when I put them in storage a couple of years ago.
                                Put some oil in each pump well and let them soak it up. Check the bottom of the stove and lanterns for date codes. Month and year

Comment

Working...
                                X