Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boudin Balls

Ingredients:
    1 pound cooked boudin (see recipe below)
    1 or 2 eggs, beaten slightly
    Seasoned bread crumbs
    Cooking oil

Boudin Recipe:
    2 pounds lean pork meat
    1 pounds pork livers
    1 large onion, whole
    1/2 bell pepper, unchopped
    1 stalk celery
    2 cloves garlic
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 bunches green onions, chopped (1/2 cup reserved)
    1 bunch parsley, chopped (1/2 cup reserved)
    6 cups cooked medium grain rice
    Broth (reserved)
    Salt, black and red pepper, to taste

Directions:
    To make the boudin:
    Simmer in covered pot the pork meat, liver, onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic in water to cover. When meat falls apart, remove meat and reserve strained broth. Discard cooked vegetables.
    Grind meat, onion, green onions and parsley. Mix ground meat mixture with the reserved 1/2 cup of green onions and 1/2 cup parsley and the cooked rice. Gradually add broth to make a moist dressing. Season to taste, but this dish is usually highly seasoned .Form into boudin balls (recipe follows). (Yield: 5 lbs.)

To make the Boudin Balls:
    If the boudin is in casing(store bought), remove from casing. If you used the above method just simply form dressing into balls about the size of walnuts. Dip balls in beaten egg and then into seasoned bread crumbs. Deep-fry balls in cooking oil at about 325 degrees until lightly browned. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot with toothpicks.

Yield: about 20-25 servings or balls

Makes great appetizers esp. for parties.

now I am starving!

Comment

boudin balls ..... that's what i'm talking about

Comment

Wow! Just reading that has my mouth watering -there is nothing better with a few cold beers. I've always wanted to try and make them myself but have never been ambitious enough to tackle it. May have to make it a project for New Years Day - perfect football-watching food.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
          Wow! Just reading that has my mouth watering -there is nothing better with a few cold beers. I've always wanted to try and make them myself but have never been ambitious enough to tackle it. May have to make it a project for New Years Day - perfect football-watching food.
          Its really not that much trouble, and if you dont feel like starting from scratch just find some quality boudin and take it out of the casing. Like you said it's hard to beat this with a cold beer except maybe a bag of fresh cracklins.

Comment

Yum!

Comment

These are my favorite!

Comment

Your Boudin receipe is a little different from James. He cuts the liver. When you are boiling the meat you have 1 whole chopped onion. Then when mixing add the other chopped onion? I understand the 1st boil is discarded.. Correct?

Comment

Originally posted by GR5 View Post
                  Your Boudin receipe is a little different from James. He cuts the liver. When you are boiling the meat you have 1 whole chopped onion. Then when mixing add the other chopped onion? I understand the 1st boil is discarded.. Correct?

I discard it because the vegetables help season the meat but become mushy and I like the vegetables to be a little crunchy in my boudin. If you dont mind the vegetables mush you can leave them, its really just personal preferance. Me and dad cook alot of the same things but our styles and ingredients often differ alot, he lost a little of his cajun touch and picked up a little red neck since moving to east texas( He would prob. shoot me if he heard me say that).
                  Last edited by RaginCagin; 12-23-2009, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Made 2lbs of these up tonight. Thanks for sharing Cajun.

Comment

Made 2lbs of these up tonight. Added some fresh chopped jalapenos to the boudain. Thanks for sharing Cajun.

Comment

that sounds really good. My wife is a cajun and makes me boudin balls every once in a while but doesnt make her own boudin. Can your recipe be stuffed into casings and made like boudin links ? If so I want to try that. Thanks for the recipe.

Comment

Originally posted by Grillen Joe View Post
                          that sounds really good. My wife is a cajun and makes me boudin balls every once in a while but doesnt make her own boudin. Can your recipe be stuffed into casings and made like boudin links ? If so I want to try that. Thanks for the recipe.
                          Yep itis exactly the same as regular bouding recipe. Just get some casing from your local butcher and stuff it and you have boudin.

Comment

mmm boudin balls.

Comment

My favorite

Comment

Working...
                              X