Pastrami advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TXJon View Post
    From Sunday, 11lbs or so before cooking. A little on the salty side, left it too long in the cure. Still came out delicious.

Ugh that looks good. I make corned beef pretty frequently, guess I need to give pastrami a try.

Comment

[QUOTE=TXJon;13318756]From Sunday, 11lbs or so before cooking. A little on the salty side, left it too long in the cure. Still came out delicious.
      QUOTE]

have made both pastrami and Canadian bacon. You cure in brine, then you smoke it. pretty straight forward. The advice I would give relates to what TxJon just said... it was a little salty. Mine did that too, until I added another step.

After you cure it, take it out of the brine, and then leave it in some water for a couple of hours (can be up to another 12-24) to pull out the excess salt. Cut off a very small piece, cook it and taste it. Adding salt and taking away salt takes time as it distributes in the meat. So always let it sit an hour before cutting a piece to cook for salt level.

I usually try and take mine to about 140 degrees so it is nice and tender.

Comment

Just go get a corned beef flat, throw away the spice pack, rinse the flat and pat it dry.
        Super thin rub with Dijon, good coat of cracked black pepper and in the smoker it goes.

For pastrami and Reubens I cook until 165 and let it rest in the fridge overnight then slice with an electric slicer.

For pull apart finger eating goodness, wrap at 165 and let it go until the thermometer goes in just like going into butter!!!!!

So good.

With all the quality pre-made corned beefs out there it’s not worth it to me to do the brining process myself...... however, I will take the time to brine my own sauerbraten roast

Give it a shot, you’ll be hooked

All pastrami is is a smoked corned beef.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
          With all the quality pre-made corned beefs out there it’s not worth it to me to do the brining process myself
          I've never bothered brining a corned beef, I always dry cure. It takes no time to rub, and you just leave it the fridge for 2 days to a week.

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
            I've never bothered brining a corned beef, I always dry cure. It takes no time to rub, and you just leave it the fridge for 2 days to a week.

I’m going to have to try that

Comment

Working...
            X