Pallet Blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pallet Blind

I need to make a permanent (really semi permanent) blind to put on my mom's land where it will overlook a guzzler and maybe a bump feeder. Seeing as how I'm lacking funds I've decided to take advantage of some inexpensive and easily accessible building materials: Pallets! I plan on manipulating them slightly and then connecting each pallet (wall) together in the shape of a pentagon. I plan to connect the back pallet using a hinge so that it can function as a door and may or may not cannibalize a couple pallets to create a makeshift roof. Below is a drawing of my design idea:

(Of course this is assuming I did the photobucket thing right)

My questions are:
    1) How well does that "camoflage" spray paint work from the hardware store work?
    2) Should the inside be painted too?
    3) And if so, is it better to spray it camo or black? (this one's a tough one since there will be a substantial amount of light coming through the walls.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Pablo

Are you going to "skin" the outside? Will it have a roof? If it does I am wondering how much vertical room you will have to draw. If you are sitting on a stool how much room will there be over your head? Just thinking that almost half of your bow will be above your head. If it was me and pallets are accessible I wouldn't paint it. Just replace as necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by slacker View Post
      Are you going to "skin" the outside? Will it have a roof? If it does I am wondering how much vertical room you will have to draw.
      I'm not sure what you mean by, "skin the outside." I think I probably will put a roof on it and I thought about it being kinda short so I'm considering using more pallets (or pallet pieces) to make it taller or digging the ground out a little (about a foot or so) inside the blind to accomodate standing. It's a good thing I'm short.

I was considering painting for reasons of camoflauge and also wondering if it might help conceal movement inside.

Thanks.

Pablo

Comment

Wrap It In Burlap To Concel A Little More And Cut Out Your Shooting Windows

Comment

That's a pretty good Idea. And they have camo burlap too, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by stuntriderant View Post
            Thats what I meant by "skin" it.

You can buy camo burlap at Wal-Mart but it is very see through. I bought some and doubled it up and you could still see through it.

Comment

academy has burlap sheets for 11-14 bucks that are 5-6 feet wide and 10-12 feet long that semi see through...the wood color of your pallets (whether it matches the enviroment) would determine whether painting is necessary IMHO...great idea

Comment

Change of Plans

Originally posted by stuntriderant View Post
                After working with the pallets a little bit I realized just how fragile the pickets on those things are. As a result, I've come to the conclusion that rearranging them is unnecessary. Instead I'm going to leave the pallets intact and simply cut out shooting windows. I'm then going to take the advice of my fellow TBH'ers (Thanks guys) and wrap it in burlap. I've also decided that instead of a pentagonal shape, a 2 pallet by 2 pallet square would be the most accommodating for 1 or 2 people.

Thanks for the help. I'll post pics when I get it put together.

Pablo

Comment

I want to see the finished product. Sounds pretty interesting.

Comment

We Need Pics!!!!

Comment

Finalmente!

Here's what it looked like before we put it together (I had previously cut out windows and screwed in some hinges)
                      Attached Files

Comment

And Then...

Then we connected the walls, dug out the ground inside it and added a roof. I wanted to do the roof differently but had forgotten some lumber so we made do. I guess we'll see how it works out come Mule Deer season.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Very interesting....I like it...Are you still going to add some burlap on it??? Whats the deal with the barrels, do they go to a water trough???

Comment

sweetttttttt

Comment

looks cool!

Comment

Working...
                              X