Hunting amongst Wind Turbines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by etbowhunter View Post
    I’ve hunted on a place with them for the last 12 years. The turbines themselves don’t bother the deer at all. You will have some traffic on your place from the service guys. Just make sure they stick to the roads connecting the turbines. Some of the guys we’ve had over the years thought that checking turbines gave them the right to cut thru pastures because it was shorter than following the designated roads or “sight see”.
    You see now this will be a problem..
    I do not do good AT ALL with any kind of silliness on a place that I lease to hunt..

Comment

Originally posted by nursejenn View Post
      I will also say that 1 per every 35 acres seems like they are gonna be crammed in together. We have 1 per every 200 acres...
      That's what Im thinking too..

Comment

They came in on our family ranch in the panhandle ten years ago. Once the construction crews were gone, the wildlife settled down and walk right by. The advantage is great roads and numerous places to park and an occasional port-a-potty! Give it time, happy hunting!

Comment

One other thing though, if where you hunt ever has an ice storm, just stay away. You would not believe the HUGE pieces of ice they toss, and they will toss it quite a ways too

Comment

I don't believe you'll be able to hunt during the construction phase.

Comment

Crazy funny that you mention that!! Last December while waiting on my son to finish his business in the port-a-potty, under one of the turbines, I saw this massive pile of ice slam the ground about 50 yards from us. then saw it again and again. When he came out, I told him to run to the truck!! We backed away and watched the ice come off the blades as temps rose!! Great PSA I left out!!

Comment

We could hunt as we own the land.

Comment

Originally posted by nursejenn View Post
                  So you're saying you dont want my opinion again? There are about 12 other TBHers that hunt with me...

This is true. It sucks while they are going up but now, the deer dont care. Ours were finished a month or so ago and they planted seed around them and I see deer eating right under them every time I am driving around.
                  As your neighbor, we didn’t see in influx in deer when they where building them. I was hoping so but didn’t happen.

Comment

Originally posted by tbgascorer View Post
                    I don't believe you'll be able to hunt during the construction phase.
                    Depends on contract, I did on my ranch in panhandle.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                      Well after having a discussion with my land owner it appears that we may be getting several(1 per every 35 acres) in the future.. I know nurse Jenn hunts amongst them but does anyone else?? What are the affects on the animals..
                      As a ranch investment guy. I would make sure to tell your landowner that the value of his ranch will drop by 50% due to having them on his land. Plus the value of the neighboring ranches will drop by 25% because they are in view. If the owner plans to keep the land forever, then it probably will not matter. If he plans to sale in the next 20 years, the increased revenue will not be enough to offset for the drop in value of the land.
                      I deal with this issue all the time. Landowners promised big checks for wind energy. Checks are never as big as promised. Land owner then decides to sale the land to raise money and is shocked that no one will pay half the market rate for the place with turbines.

Comment

Covered up in them in Nolan County. I came in well after they put them in. Lots of places still getting them put in.

Does make me wonder how it affected deer. The numbers are not very high and makes me wonder how that played out with the wind turbines.

Comment

I hunted turkey in a Priddy this April on tbgscorer’s place. First time I hunted there since the installations of turbones on the surrounding properties. It seems the turbines have made the turkeys gobble more and come quicker to my calls!

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
                            As a ranch investment guy. I would make sure to tell your landowner that the value of his ranch will drop by 50% due to having them on his land. Plus the value of the neighboring ranches will drop by 25% because they are in view. If the owner plans to keep the land forever, then it probably will not matter. If he plans to sale in the next 20 years, the increased revenue will not be enough to offset for the drop in value of the land.

I deal with this issue all the time. Landowners promised big checks for wind energy. Checks are never as big as promised. Land owner then decides to sale the land to raise money and is shocked that no one will pay half the market rate for the place with turbines.

^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As a coal plant man I say burn em down! Not really but yeah

Comment

Originally posted by Jake View Post
                                That’s a very generic blanket response. Each area is different

As an investment landowner, wind turbines have driven up price of land almost double in my area. Wind turbines pay what the contract states. So far I haven’t found anything in our area that in the last 40 years that has the same per acre payout that’s panned out. Only thing I’ve would of beat it was 1200 acre solar lease, but they pulled out after Trump won.
                                Last edited by Texans42; 05-18-2018, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X