No announcement yet.

Pear harbor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We went a few years ago, when my brother got married on the island.

Rented a car, and spent most of the day at Pearl. Daughter and I did the submarine tour (awesome) and we ran out of time, and didn't go see a couple of the museums on site (there are several). Plan a full day, it's pretty amazing.

Comment

Might have a wait to do some of the tours but it's a sight worth seeing. My uncle and I spent a full day there just walking through everything. One of the coolest souvenirs I picked up there was an American Flag flown on a particular date at that site. You can get one for just about every date of the year.

Comment

I've been twice....both times I took a day trip from the other islands. Here's my advice:

1. Grab the first plane to Oahu (usually arrives around 7am). Do this so that you can get to the ticket office as soon as it opens. You have to get tickets for the boat to the Arizona, and seats are limited. You will receive a time for you to be at the dock ready to take the boat across. I also liked getting there very early so that I can reflect on what it was like to be standing there early in the morning when the attack occurred (history nerd....I know). It really is beautiful in the morning.

2. Make sure to visit either the USS Missouri and/or the aviation museum. The reason I say that is because you have to take a bus to Ford Island to visit both sites. It's cool to see the original control tower and where the old runway was. You will also see bullet holes in the hangars around the old airfield. The Missouri is also a very cool tour.

You can see everything in 5 hours or so. You may want to get a rental car lined up so that you can see the rest of the island and fly out that evening. The Dole Plantation is in a beautiful area, and the north end of the island is gorgeous. Trust me, you will be a zombie by the time you fly out that night.....you will be exhausted!!

Let me know if you have any other questions. It's an amazing experience!!

Comment

I was stationed in Pearl for 3 years in the early 90's. Back then it wasn't too hard to get over to the Arizona, but it sounds like it is much tougher now. Sounds like the same deal though, you take a boat ride over. But whatever you have to do, it is worth it.

I spent a lot of time going to extra schools over on Ford Island as well. The small boat we would ride over there for that would tie up on the old Battleship Row to let us on and off. As said by others, you can still see bullet holes in hangers, and all kinds of evidence of the battle. If you could get over to Ford to take a tour, that would be worth it too.

After that, there are all kinds of neat things to do.

Comment

Reserve tickets on the National Park Service Website - that way you do not have to wait for the free ones. Book your own flight via Hawaiian Air to Oahu for the day trip. Leave early - stay all day and then fly back. We rented a car at the airport but it was only a 7 mile drive to the park. Could of Uber-ed it but just like having a vehicle. The Mighty Mo was OK - the whole ship is not accessible. Due to the high winds last month - they would not let us on the memorial (safety) but they did drive us out on the water to see it.

Comment

Working...
            X