No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't have time to read through 42 pages but curious to know a little background. Is this your farm or are you managing for others? What parish is it in and how many acres are we talking? Do you have an ag background or have you learned through years of trial and error?

Comment

Originally posted by texastiger1984 View Post
      Don't have time to read through 42 pages but curious to know a little background. Is this your farm or are you managing for others? What parish is it in and how many acres are we talking? Do you have an ag background or have you learned through years of trial and error?
      Not trying to offend, so dont take it that way, but do yourself a favor and read all 42 pages of the thread, even if it takes you a week. This is probably the best, most informative post on this entire forum, and you will enjoy every post Rusty makes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

No offense taken. I haven't been here in a while but remember reading most of this thread in its' early days. Just rediscovered it recently and have been trying to get caught up. I'm just genuinely interested in how the heck he found himself in this line of work. It's fascinating and i'm insanely jealous.

Comment

No offense taken. I haven't been here in a while but remember reading most of this thread in its' early days. Just rediscovered it recently and have been trying to get caught up. I'm just genuinely interested in how the heck he found himself in this line of work. It's fascinating and i'm insanely jealous.
          subscribe to the thread it is worth it. Lots of good information

Comment

Originally posted by sweetinlow660 View Post
            1532 was the post number. I was reading back thru and he looked really similar to the buck you said you found (post 1965) when the flood waters came down
            That is some excellent forensic work. Yes same deer I think from year before as pic was in 2016. I saw him during the summer last year in a vetch field and now that we can compare the pic to the rack in '17 looks like he may have gone down a bit. Was an old codger. Shame we couldn't get someone on him.

Comment

Unless you have severe insomnia I'll save you a bit of historical reading and try to answer your questions. It is my farm and I have had complete mgt. control for over 40 yrs. Guess that ages me. I'm in Rapides Parish with the farm being a bit over 1300 acres. My background is business though I have had the wonderful opportunity to befriend and work with some of the top biologist in the country.{ One just named his puppy after me ] Beyond that there has been extensive trial and error....lots of error!

My career has given me the delightful opportunity to play deer and habitat manager for many years. It afforded me the farm and a ranch along the Rio Grande where I can celebrate being at play in the fields of the Lord. It is a blessing along with countless others to numerous to count.

As always I appreciate the encouraging comments about this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                That is some excellent forensic work. Yes same deer I think from year before as pic was in 2016. I saw him during the summer last year in a vetch field and now that we can compare the pic to the rack in '17 looks like he may have gone down a bit. Was an old codger. Shame we couldn't get someone on him.
                Lol. Thanks. It’s not really that hard to pick out and recognize an 8 point that goes over 160”. He had a very distinctive forward leaning frame as well. You’ve got an amazing place love tagging along for the ride.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                  Unless you have severe insomnia I'll save you a bit of historical reading and try to answer your questions. It is my farm and I have had complete mgt. control for over 40 yrs. Guess that ages me. I'm in Rapides Parish with the farm being a bit over 1300 acres. My background is business though I have had the wonderful opportunity to befriend and work with some of the top biologist in the country.{ One just named his puppy after me ] Beyond that there has been extensive trial and error....lots of error!

My career has given me the delightful opportunity to play deer and habitat manager for many years. It afforded me the farm and a ranch along the Rio Grande where I can celebrate being at play in the fields of the Lord. It is a blessing along with countless others to numerous to count.

As always I appreciate the encouraging comments about this thread.
                  Prime real estate in rapides! Had a roommate @ LSU from Eleck. Is your place low fence, i know that's usually the norm in Louisiana/MS. We have about 175 acres in Liberty, MS where i hunt that i'd love to turn into a deer haven. But my dad is retired and now plays with cows up there so i can't do a lot of thing's i'd like to. Plus, its a 6hr drive now living in Houston.

One day I hope to be able to get out of the city and live the type of life you're living.

Thanks for sharing your experience & wisdom!

Comment

Prime real estate in rapides! Had a roommate @ LSU from Eleck. Is your place low fence, i know that's usually the norm in Louisiana/MS. We have about 175 acres in Liberty, MS where i hunt that i'd love to turn into a deer haven. But my dad is retired and now plays with cows up there so i can't do a lot of thing's i'd like to. Plus, its a 6hr drive now living in Houston.

One day I hope to be able to get out of the city and live the type of life you're living.

Thanks for sharing your experience & wisdom!
                    Eleck. Lol! That’s the nickname for Alexandria. I grew up 30 min south of there in Cheneyville. Even had a few good times at LSU A.
                    Alex is the big city we went to when it was time for major groceries and clothes.

Comment

Know a guy from my LSU days from Chaneyville, M. Munson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Know a guy from my LSU days from Chaneyville, M. Munson.

I know the Munsons. They owned property and a big home on Bayou Boeuf.

We used to call it the old Munson place.

Was it Mike? I remember one that was older than me who was a heck of a ball player. I think his name was Mike.

Comment

Myles Munson. I didn’t know him in high school but I know he was an athlete. He was big into wake boarding. He’s friends with my freshman year roommate from Eleck. Andrew Gremillion. That’s how we all knew each other, used to hang out a lot back in the day, hell that was 15 years ago now

Comment

Myles Munson. I didn’t know him in high school but I know he was an athlete. He was big into wake boarding. He’s friends with my freshman year roommate from Eleck. Andrew Gremillion. That’s how we all knew each other, used to hang out a lot back in the day, hell that was 15 years ago now

LOL! Y'all are babies. I probably knew his daddy

Comment

My dad took me to the Munson plantation when I was a youngster. They were friends. That. Was prolly over 50 yrs ago. Guess that might have been the grandad

Comment

Let the new season begin.....
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X