Canning Meat (Venison). My Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    My mamma used to make smother-fried venison and gravy and can it... It was a staple for camp dinners for us for years... My wife and I really enjoyed doing the vegetable canning and pickles this past spring/summer. We talked about canning venison too... I'm thinking on getting a pressure canner too so that we can speed up the process... I know it's good groceries, it's just the time it takes to do the canning that has always made me so hesitant about doing it.

Great thread Michael. Thanks for sharing... and your threads without pics... well that just ain't gonna cut it! If the pic rule applies to us minions, it should apply to you too!
    Point taken! I meant to document the whole process and just didn't! I may can some this weekend and document with photos and video.
    My Flickr Photos

Comment

My grandma used to can all kind of fruits and vegetables. I can't remember her ever canning meat. Sounds pretty interesting. We pickle a lot, but don't pressure can. Something we have been wanting to try though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like I need to try this

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          I want to can finished chili, as well as ground meat and sausage. I'm liking the possibilities!
          That was what I was wondering, could you actually can chili or season the meat and retain flavor?
          When I was a kid, the family would get together and butcher two hogs in the fall.
          Sausage was made into balls,fried and placed inside Mason jars. Rendered hog lard would be poured into the jars to seal off the air from the sausage. Cheese cloth would be placed over the top of the jar and held there by a piece of twine.
          True story and this was back in the early 60's and no one had ever heard of cholesterol.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
            That was what I was wondering, could you actually can chili or season the meat and retain flavor?
            When I was a kid, the family would get together and butcher two hogs in the fall.
            Sausage was made into balls,fried and placed inside Mason jars. Rendered hog lard would be poured into the jars to seal off the air from the sausage. Cheese cloth would be placed over the top of the jar and held there by a piece of twine.
            True story and this was back in the early 60's and no one had ever heard of cholesterol.
            I haven't done it, yet, but I've seen YT vids of canning chili, ground and seasoned meat. I imagine it would work fine.
            My Flickr Photos

Comment

Started canning venison 3yrs ago and finally just added a Beef Bouillon cube to each jar with no water just packed cubed meat with head space and pressure at 10 lbs for 90min. Tried ground venison but it turned out like a miniature medicine ball so won't try that again. Try it you won't regret it.

Comment

I do it exactly as you do it Michael, just meat and a little salt, sometimes I throw a couple of jalapenos in as well.

I use it just how you described, to make other recipes that would require longer cook times if done all at once.

I've tried a few recipes, like Mongolian beef, but really just using the meat and adding the spices is just as fast as you are really just heating it up and adding the spices.

Comment

Forgive my Ignorance but do you cook it before Canning or just raw? If just raw how do you cook after?

Comment

Originally posted by blntrey3 View Post
                    Forgive my Ignorance but do you cook it before Canning or just raw? If just raw how do you cook after?
                    You can do either. I just did what is called raw pack - just cubes of raw meat in the jar with an optional half teaspoon of salt. Technically, the meat cooks in the jar. It is essentially braised in it's own juices at a higher boiling point (240-260 degrees) created from the pressure cooker (canner). After 75 minutes at 240+ degrees, the meat is fully cooked when it is finished.

Some people brown the meat first, or cook a whole recipe before canning, but it's not necessary.
                    My Flickr Photos

Comment

**** it, now I have to buy a canner. Thanks Michael

Comment

Sounds like we may need samples at the next Nanza.

Comment

All I can think of is potted meat and spam.

Comment

Originally posted by shaft_slinger00 View Post
                            All I can think of is potted meat and spam.

Completely different. Think slow cooked stew meat that holds its shape but shreds easily.

I had leftover stroganoff for lunch. I may open another jar and use it for another recipe this evening.
                            My Flickr Photos

Comment

It looks like dog food in a jar but like you said it is fantastic. I can a lot of my leftovers just before season starts. It's shelf stable and if/when the power goes out you don't have to worry about it spoiling and you have a meal ready to eat.

Comment

My uncle cans venison all the time and it is great.

Comment

Working...
                                X