Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spring Food Plot....Getting it ready to plant.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
    I like the broken pool net turned cattle paddle on the ground!
    Whatever it takes lol

Comment

Would the general consensus be to burn this plot down first with Gly, then disk, then fertilize and seed, then finish with drag? (or I could fertilize prior to disk and work it in with disk)

Or, skip Gly and go strait to disk under the green growth (last season Fall plot) and do the before mentioned order of steps?

Gonna try to plant this weekend so I could possibly get out tomorrow to spray and have 3-4 days to kill before planting beans/peas.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mdnabors View Post
        Would the general consensus be to burn this plot down first with Gly, then disk, then fertilize and seed, then finish with drag? (or I could fertilize prior to disk and work it in with disk)

Or, skip Gly and go strait to disk under the green growth (last season Fall plot) and do the before mentioned order of steps?

Gonna try to plant this weekend so I could possibly get out tomorrow to spray and have 3-4 days to kill before planting beans/peas.
        I would spray Gly and then go back and sling your fertilizer on the same day, come back 5 days later and disc, sling seed and cover with a drag.

Comment

Skip the gly if your gonna disc.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
            Skip the gly if your gonna disc.
            I agree. We don't spray gly. Your winter/fall crops are gonna die anyways. When you disc you uproot the exsiting plants , which will kill them. Disc before they seed out

Comment

Good deal. I wanted to just turn under the current plot and plant without burning down. I’ll do that and see if there’s competition after seed starts to come up.

Comment

To me spraying gly and disking is not necessary. Disking will bring new weed seed.

The point of spraying GLY usually is so you don't need to disk. Leave the ground undisturbed. Most people spray who use a drill to plant

Comment

Got this done Friday and the rain came good today! Crossing fingers no more cold fronts now...
                  Attached Files

Comment

I spray gly and disc, I dont have a no till drill so everything is done thru a broadcaster. Without Gly the competition would out run your seed, but this is in Wilson county. Things may vary in another area.
                    Last edited by Radar; 06-05-2019, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Looks awesome Radar. I have some Arrest Max herbicide to knock back weeds once they are actively growing and the plot starts to emerge.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                        Were getting the our spring plots ready to plant in a couple of weeks. This year going to plant a 50/50 blend of the Tuner Seed Spring Deer mix and their Spring Dove mix. Then will put on a 1000lbs of fertilizer. Pray for good spring rains.

DEER MIX
                        Cowpeas (Iron & Clay) 20%
                        Cowpeas (Red Ripper)
                        15%
                        Lab Lab (Rungi)
                        15%
                        Soybeans (Laredo)
                        15%
                        Sunn Hemp
                        13%
                        Peas (California Blackeye)
                        10%
                        Buckwheat
                        5%
                        Okra (Spineless)
                        5%
                        Chicory 2%
                        Cost Per Acre $35.00
                        Cost Per Pound $1.75
                        Pounds Per Acre 20.00
                        April 1 - June 1

DOVE MIX

Millet, Browntop 25%
                        Bird Magnet Sorghum
                        25%
                        Sunflowers (Hybrid Oil)
                        25%
                        Millet (German Foxtail)
                        25%
                        Cost Per Acre $40.00
                        Cost Per Pound $2.00
                        Pounds Per Acre 20.00
                        April 1 - June 1

DOVE MIX

[ATTACH]902412[/ATTACH]

Did you plant the deer mix at the same time as the dove?

Comment

I planted and got 1.25 inches on it the next day

Planted deer and dove plots.

Deer- Lablab, I/C peas, perdovik sunflowers, sorghum

Dove- Brown top millet, perdovik sunflowers, sorghum

Comment

Originally posted by mdnabors View Post
                            Looks awesome Radar. I have some Arrest Max herbicide to knock back weeds once they are actively growing and the plot starts to emerge.
                            This won't kill any seed you plant in your plot but only weeds?

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                              I planted and got 1.25 inches on it the next day

Planted deer and dove plots.

Deer- Lablab, I/C peas, perdovik sunflowers, sorghum

Dove- Brown top millet, perdovik sunflowers, sorghum

Yes. I mixed the seeds together on a 50/50 ratio.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                                This won't kill any seed you plant in your plot but only weeds?
                                Grass killer, when grass is coming up you can spray this. Should not affect his plants but may burn some of them for a few days. Clethodim is the ingredient. The generic version of Arrest Max is called Grassout.

As of right now the only weeds I have is Nutsedge and some Dove weed coming up in spots. I have peas in some areas that are 6-8 inches tall and shading the soil below their leaves,this should keep most weeds out. Other areas the peas are 4 inches tall. I need rain and need to spot spray the nutsedge.

Comment

Working...
                                X