No announcement yet.

TRAPPING 2014/2015 season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guess I'm going to have to hit this deer lease hard stinking coyote buggered my deer

Comment

Yotes scared em while you were bow hunting ferger?

Comment

Originally posted by Stxranchhand View Post
        Yotes scared em while you were bow hunting ferger?
        Yes sir not really scared em but they didn't like his presence so he will be gone lol

Comment

Originally posted by ElCid07 View Post
          Hey Tuff, think you may need/want some help late Jan early Feb? I should be home by then and I've wanted to learn about trapping and what with the leave I have coming a few days or a week of Trapping Insanity should be feasible.

Sure thing brother....

Comment

Originally posted by Fergeris View Post
            Guess I'm going to have to hit this deer lease hard stinking coyote buggered my deer
            I don't think that will be hard for ya brother... Tear um up!!

Like the thread! I'm new to the site and glad to find some trapping info. I use loaded snares with slimlocks for yotes and coons. Anyone else use snares here?

I use a few snares, not many. The ones I use I made myself with QK cam-locks..

Comment

Originally posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
              Pm inbound brother..
              Tuff,
              Sorry for the late response. Landowner is thinking about his options and I'll get back with you. Thanks

Comment

Like the thread! I'm new to the site and glad to find some trapping info. I use loaded snares with slimlocks for yotes and coons. Anyone else use snares here?
                Sorry I just saw this. I don't use snares as much as I used to. When I was trapping for the goverment I ran alot of snares. but I found I can catch just as many in my steel traps. The places I have now do not have good fences so I just use the steel.

Comment

Got bored today and tossed this together...

Trapping how to: How to build your own DP and Bodygrip anchor systems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVor...ature=youtu.be

We are going to try and release one each week as the season moves along.
                  Last edited by Tuffbroadhead; 09-30-2014, 07:47 PM.

Comment

I have been busy getting gear together. Made up a bunch of bait and went out and dug some trap beds and baited the areas. Found some really good beaver sign so that's a plus for more bait. Getting close to start setting traps.

Comment

here are a few yote/cat traps I was getting organized. Got to add some more chain and drags on some traps.

Comment

Something tells me you didn't toss that intro together good video on quick easy leads. I started with those style cable cutters but these are the berries.

I have the more expensive Felco brand as well, but these are 1/3 the price for the same performance if you cut ONLY cable. 1x19 or 7x7 strand. I get em here http://lmrtackle.com/boone-cable-cut...ol-cutter.aspx

Lookin like some fur catchin there whirlwind. I know I'm looking forward to the season for sure!

Comment

Looking good Whirlwind!!!

And yes, I do need new cable cutters, thanks for the lead!! I have had those for quite a while..

We had some places scouted out for beaver, but in the past 3 months they have gone dry and the beaver have moved on..

I will be hitting the river next week for a quick test, or I might go out today and drop a few water sets to see what the guard hair and leather look like..
                          Last edited by Tuffbroadhead; 10-01-2014, 05:44 AM.

Comment

Like a lot of people, I only make it out to the ranch every few weeks for the weekend. The coons spin a lot of corn out of my feeder and I'm starting to use DP traps on them. Moving into deer season, I'm worried about trapping and hunting at the same time. That is, I don't feel I can let up on trapping (we have too many coons to ever trap enough), but can I put DP traps out near where I am hunting? I'll be hunting on a deer trail probably 200 yards through the woods from the feeder. I wouldn't check the traps until after the morning hunt, so would a trapped coon give me problems 200 yards away? Noise, scent, etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by LonghornTX View Post
                              Like a lot of people, I only make it out to the ranch every few weeks for the weekend. The coons spin a lot of corn out of my feeder and I'm starting to use DP traps on them. Moving into deer season, I'm worried about trapping and hunting at the same time. That is, I don't feel I can let up on trapping (we have too many coons to ever trap enough), but can I put DP traps out near where I am hunting? I'll be hunting on a deer trail probably 200 yards through the woods from the feeder. I wouldn't check the traps until after the morning hunt, so would a trapped coon give me problems 200 yards away? Noise, scent, etc.?
                              I think you will be fine. Obviously if you want the coons to not spin feeders- take them all out. In the mean time you can put up the eliminator spin plate and varmint cages (if you haven't already).

Comment

The trapped coon wont give you any issues, its just another critter in the woods to the deer..

And like mentioned above, taking measures to prevent the coons from doing damage or feeding is the quickest way to slow their assault on the feeders and your feed bill.

Then if you are still worried about feed loss keep trapping them or wait till after season and go full tilt on them..

Coon jobs have became one of my favorites..I can wipe coons out fairly quickly in a few days..

Comment

Working...
                                X