The price of used trucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
    No disrespect and don't take it wrong, but this is the problem. People think they are getting good deals.

I am probably guilty too. I bought a 2015 chevy 2500HD 4x4 diesel 4dr with 30K miles on it in April 2016 for $39K.

None taken. What trim level truck did you buy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
      I looked at a Ford a while ago and wanted a fleet truck since I don't want all the bells. 4x4 power locks and windows and the nicer v8. I had to argue with them to test drive a fleet truck and the price was still not that much under a normal truck. What happened to the base model trucks without all the electronics that break?

99% of the trucks with all the electronic crap don’t break. You only hear people bitching about them when they do. Meanwhile the rest of the people that are perfectly happy with their reliable trucks are just driving them daily.

Every truck I’ve owned since 1996 has has some kind of electronics on them and not one of them has had a failure of any kind.

My son still drives a 2004 Chevy Z71 loaded with 240k miles on it and everything still works on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I’m guilty of “sucker is DONE at 100K miles”......just seems like a lot even though I have a Nissan with 180K and it’s still going. This didn’t all start with Harvey, this has been the norm for the last 3-5 years. To me it makes more sense to buy new now. A vehicle has NEVER been an “investment” but it sure depreciates a lot slower than it used to. The only way to look at it is buy a new one now and when you sell it 6-7 years from now, you’ll probably still get $30K for it. So by the time you’re shopping for that new 1/2 ton in 2024, you’ll have a good 30K in equity to put down on a $44-$50K truck, only having to finance $16-20K.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel75 View Post
          I’m guilty of “sucker is DONE at 100K miles”......just seems like a lot even though I have a Nissan with 180K and it’s still going. This didn’t all start with Harvey, this has been the norm for the last 3-5 years. To me it makes more sense to buy new now. A vehicle has NEVER been an “investment” but it sure depreciates a lot slower than it used to. The only way to look at it is buy a new one now and when you sell it 6-7 years from now, you’ll probably still get $30K for it. So by the time you’re shopping for that new 1/2 ton in 2024, you’ll have a good 30K in equity to put down on a $44-$50K truck, only having to finance $16-20K.
          200k is the new 100K... Technology and lubricants have come a long way. I put 248k on my last one in about 7 years and the sheer amount of weight I moved with it would stagger a lot of folks (I scaled the truck/trailer several times around and exceeding 30,000lbs, ran it for a year and a half solid pulling 16,000 around town, and put 6000lbs in the bed on a lot of occaisions. It ran like a scalded cat the day I sold it. I felt like it had another 50,000 in it, but I didn't feel like paying the bill if I was wrong.

New one sure is nice...

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            200k is the new 100K... Technology and lubricants have come a long way. I put 248k on my last one in about 7 years and the sheer amount of weight I moved with it would stagger a lot of folks (I scaled the truck/trailer several times around and exceeding 30,000lbs, ran it for a year and a half solid pulling 16,000 around town, and put 6000lbs in the bed on a lot of occaisions. It ran like a scalded cat the day I sold it. I felt like it had another 50,000 in it, but I didn't feel like paying the bill if I was wrong.

New one sure is nice...
            Oh I agree with the bolded, you’re my age, so you know that growing up when them 80’s and 90’s vehicles hit 100K all kinds of stuff started going out on them. I’m pretty sure this Nissan will go another 100K, I’m just tired of driving the SOB

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel75 View Post
              Oh I agree with the bolded, you’re my age, so you know that growing up when them 80’s and 90’s vehicles hit 100K all kinds of stuff started going out on them. I’m pretty sure this Nissan will go another 100K, I’m just tired of driving the SOB
              I wouldn't know, all the 80s and 90s trucks I got to drive back then had 180,000 on them before I got to drive them. The week I got my license my uncle/boss put me in the '82 Chevy 1 ton flatbed with no one knew how many miles on it because NOTHING in the dash worked, and 7000lbs of mortar on the back, and I promptly blew it up when it fell out of 3rd gear. Uncle Bud said, "I forgot to tell you you have to hold it in 3rd..." That's how I learned how to work on stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                I wouldn't know, all the 80s and 90s trucks I got to drive back then had 180,000 on them before I got to drive them. The week I got my license my uncle/boss put me in the '82 Chevy 1 ton flatbed with no one knew how many miles on it because NOTHING in the dash worked, and 7000lbs of mortar on the back, and I promptly blew it up when it fell out of 3rd gear. Uncle Bud said, "I forgot to tell you you have to hold it in 3rd..." That's how I learned how to work on stuff!

My 87 Subaru went teets up around 160K, my 95 cavalier went teets up around 140K and my POS 99 Ford Ranger at 77K!!!!!! I want a Tundra now but they’re awfully proud of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

the oilfield had a lot to do with it. ive got younger guys out here that have 80k trucks with another 20k in add ons that complain that they are broke because they arent getting enough overtime.
                  i try to school them on oilfield finances but most dont listen. one told me "i can sleep in my truck, but i cant drive a house"

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
                    the oilfield had a lot to do with it. ive got younger guys out here that have 80k trucks with another 20k in add ons that complain that they are broke because they arent getting enough overtime.
                    i try to school them on oilfield finances but most dont listen. one told me "i can sleep in my truck, but i cant drive a house"
                    Yeah, but your house doesn't lose half its' value in 10 years....

Comment

Most trucks posted never sell. There is a Ram 2500 posted on here that’s been listed a long time. I looked up the blue book and I see why he can’t sell it. Folks think because it has a cummins in it folks will just pay whatver. If a truck isn’t listed to the price a credit union will finance for it won’t sell. Search on here and you’ll see most trucks just sit.

Comment

Working...
                      X