Needing opinions on arrows for Triax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needing opinions on arrows for Triax

Ok so after shooting the same Diamond bow and Cabela's stalker extremes for 13 years, I finally upgraded to a Triax this month. Now I'm trying to decide on arrows and I'm hoping to get some feedback from people who have a Triax and/or have used any of these arrows.

I've narrowed down my selection to either Easton Axis, Easton FMJ, Carbon Express Max Red, and maybe Carbon Express Max Hunter- still on the fence about the hunters. Or do I just keep my old stalker extremes? Now each arrow has its pros and cons and I've spent hours researching and reading reviews, but I'm still lost.

So the Axis arrows are heavier which will have better penetration and quiet my bow some, but there isn't much on the web about them. You just don't see alot of people posting or bragging.

The FMJ will be even heavier, hence more quiet and best penetration. People also seem to get good grouping with these. But my concern is the possibility of bending a shaft (which is expensive). I feel like I would have to buy an arrow spinner and be constantly testing my arrows. I've also read about a few issues with the HIT inserts.

The Max Reds seem to be grouping the best, especially out of the Triax. But they weigh less than my Stalker Extremes so i worry about penetration and noise. There are also some negative comments about them breaking more than the other arrows.

The Max Hunters are like the Axis- just not much chatter on the web about them.

Any advice or personal experience you have is greatly appreciated. Below are some of the specs on the arrows. My setup is at 70lb and 29.5" draw.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by quigley; 10-08-2018, 09:22 AM.

I shoot Maxima Reds out of my Triax. My brother shoots Gold tip kinetic pierce platinums. Those gold tips are really nice. I have had zero issues with my Maxima Reds. It all comes down to what you have confidence in.

Comment

None of the above, just do the Victory VAP. Deeper penetration than FMJs, sturdy, and fast. I own some just bought more.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

are you getting good grouping at longer distances? Also do you feel like you triax is a little louder with the reds?

Comment

Originally posted by antiparadigm View Post
          None of the above, just do the Victory VAP. Deeper penetration than FMJs, sturdy, and fast. I own some just bought more.

antiparadigm, how do they penetrate better if they are lighter than FMJs?

Comment

I use FMJ and Axis. I like the Axis. Mine are 510 grains. shoot really nice. Lots of great arrows out there. Day Six is making some really good arrows, but they are pricey.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigt338 View Post
              I use FMJ and Axis. I like the Axis. Mine are 510 grains. shoot really nice. Lots of great arrows out there. Day Six is making some really good arrows, but they are pricey.
              how do the axis group at longer distances?

Comment

Originally posted by quigley View Post
                antiparadigm, how do they penetrate better if they are lighter than FMJs?
                They have awesome FOC, and are thinner diameter, and have a special coating that reduces drag and friction. I have both, and shot after shot the Victory was buried in my home made target to the fletchings, sometimes further. The FMJ always about 4inches out.

Comment

Heavy is only one part of the story of penetration.

Comment

Victory also just released an arrow that has a carbon metal weave.

Comment

ok, i might have to reconsider victory. I had looked at them a little during my research, but got distracted by other brands

Comment

I think you need to shoot the ones that group the best. I can promise your bow is not loud enough to make a difference. I also think you are getting plenty of penetration on any animal in Texas. I think you may be deep diving a little to deep.

Comment

Practice more. Tinker less.

Comment

Originally posted by Krivoman View Post
                            I think you need to shoot the ones that group the best. I can promise your bow is not loud enough to make a difference. I also think you are getting plenty of penetration on any animal in Texas. I think you may be deep diving a little to deep.
                            you and fishndude are probably right. I tend to overthink things for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by quigley View Post
                              you and fishndude are probably right. I tend to overthink things for sure.
                              I have a lease mate and another buddy who are both very detailed people. They study every aspect of everything. So you are not alone.. I will say this personality usually goes hand in hand with a successful life.

Comment

Working...
                              X