Interview with victim of Wyoming bear attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
    Some scary stuff. I still cant get over that the hunter was okay with running and leaving the guide behind and never going back to check or find him or anything, just told the dispatcher "he might be dead" and just left it at that waiting for his extraction for some time.
    Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
    I hate the thought of that poor man lying there alone, waiting to die. It seems like it was fairly quick, but still. Knowing the pos that he was guiding tucked his tail and ran away when he could have helped save him. Still such a sad situation.
    Agreed.

Comment

RIP
      There is a lot of info in that report!

Comment

Originally posted by Tryton View Post
        How do you not know how to operate a Glock and how do you tuck tail and leave your partner behind.
        True.

Related. Who doesn't keep a round in the chamber? Especially in bear country. I don't like it when I come across someone that thinks that the only way to be gun safe is to keep the gun unloaded.

Not knocking gun safety. Despite what I just said I would rather someone go overboard in that direction versus careless.

Comment

From quickly reading the report. It sounds like the guys ended up in a really bad situation and lucky they both weren't killed. The guide should have had the pistol LOADED on his side and not on his backpack. My guess is the hunter went to use the glock(which wasn't loaded) and either intentionally or unintentionally hit the mag release dropping the mag then said I'm out of here.

If you are not familiar with the way different pistols work I could see getting into a situation with a grizzly attack happening where you might have trouble staying calm and thinking straight. For all you saying I would have stayed and karate kicked the bears into submission please stop. You haven't been in a grizzly attack so you dont know.

It sounds like mistakes were made by both and it cost one man his life. No reason to throw judgment at the hunter for getting out when he could. At some point I would have done the same.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
            Some scary stuff. I still cant get over that the hunter was okay with running and leaving the guide behind and never going back to check or find him or anything, just told the dispatcher "he might be dead" and just left it at that waiting for his extraction for some time.
            How exactly would you have gone back and checked on him? At that point the guy had no defense besides his bare hands. I'm sure it wasn't easy for him to sit idle but what would your plan have been?

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
              How exactly would you have gone back and checked on him? At that point the guy had no defense besides his bare hands. I'm sure it wasn't easy for him to sit idle but what would your plan have been?
              Go and clean, quarter the elk

Just kidding hard to walk in that hunters boots , heck he may have not even known how to return to the scene after getting cell service

Comment

For all you saying I would have stayed and karate kicked the bears into submission please stop. You haven't been in a grizzly attack so you dont know.

It sounds like mistakes were made by both and it cost one man his life. No reason to throw judgment at the hunter for getting out when he could. At some point I would have done the same.
                I didn't see anyone say they would have karate kicked the bear? Hyperbole much?

I can and will criticize the hunter for not trying to work together to save the guides life. He had bear spray he didn't use for one. I hunt Grizzly country and this is THE reason we hunt together. If the other guy is just gonna run off whats the point?

If you hunt Grizzly country with folks at least warn them up front that if crap gets hairy you are going to bail. They will be better prepared themselves if they know that up front.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
                  I didn't see anyone say they would have karate kicked the bear? Hyperbole much?
                  Sarcasm much? I will say this guide was not prepared and didn't have a really good plan if they encountered a grizzly. Gun not loaded or on his side. My guess is he didn't even discuss a plan prior to hunting or going after carcass. Had he planned ahead he would have shown the guy how to operate the pistol. I am standing and fighting to a point. I would not give my life just to say I did. Everyone should know that if they hunt with me. I am not saying the hunter should have stayed or hauled ***. I don't know as I wasn't there.

Comment

Thanks for posting that update and final report from WGFD.

Comment

Originally posted by Tryton View Post
                      How do you not know how to operate a Glock and how do you tuck tail and leave your partner behind.
                      I am pretty comfortable with guns, including any handgun I've ever held on a regular basis however I've only shot some brands/styles only a few times. I shoot anything I carry regularly however outside of those guns, I can't claim competence.

What I can say with a high degree of certainty is that if I were in that hunters situation holding a gun that I had never operated and possibly only held never/once/twice AND faced with 2 charging grizzlies, one of which is actively ATTACKING MY GUIDE (also the only other human around), I'd probably forget my own name let alone try to figure out how to operate a handgun I was not familiar with.

That said, I only carry a gun I am comfortable with or make sure I am comfortable with the gun that IS present. Also, this is why I stay away from bear territory.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by nursejenn; 04-08-2019, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Sarcasm much? I will say this guide was not prepared and didn't have a really good plan if they encountered a grizzly. Gun not loaded or on his side. My guess is he didn't even discuss a plan prior to hunting or going after carcass. Had he planned ahead he would have shown the guy how to operate the pistol. I am standing and fighting to a point. I would not give my life just to say I did. Everyone should know that if they hunt with me. I am not saying the hunter should have stayed or hauled ***. I don't know as I wasn't there.
                        As usual with disagreements, clarification adds perspective.

Both men, especially the guide who should have known better, made serious mistakes. We agree on that. I also agree that dying just because after you see your buddy die is pointless.

A clear reading of the particulars in this case shows the hunter did little more than throw an unloaded pistol at the guide. Even excusing his ridiculous lack of knowledge of a basic pistol, he had bear spray. He could have spent longer getting the pistol to work.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Both men, especially the guide who should have known better, made serious mistakes. We agree on that. I also agree that dying just because after you see your buddy die is pointless.

A clear reading of the particulars in this case shows the hunter did little more than throw an unloaded pistol at the guide. Even excusing his ridiculous lack of knowledge of a basic pistol, he had bear spray. He could have spent longer getting the pistol to work.

The way I read it, the bear had turned to attacking him at the time he tossed the pistol to the guide...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=nursejenn;14089497]I am pretty comfortable with guns, including any handgun I've ever held on a regular basis however I've only shot some brands/styles only a few times. I shoot anything I carry regularly however outside of those guns, I can't claim competence.

What I can say with a high degree of certainty is that if I were in that hunters situation holding a gun that I had never operated and possibly only held never/once/twice AND faced with 2 charging grizzlies, one of which is actively ATTACKING MY GUIDE (also the only other human around), I'd probably forget my own name let alone try to figure out how to operate a handgun I was not familiar with.

That said, I only carry a gun I am comfortable with or make sure I am comfortable with the gun that IS present. Also, this is why I stay away from bear territory.

All good points and like others have said, there is a list of things that were done wrong. With a charging grizzly it might only take one little mistake.

Comment

All fair points. I would imagine for 99% dividing 12 by 4 while having a grizzly on or near us would be much harder to do than sitting at a desk and doing the same. It the same as asking someone in a shootout how many times the shot. If not trained for the situation they will answer 2 or 3 when they shot 9 times.

The brain works and doesn't work in mysterious ways when under pressure. Why Special Forces go thru so much training. Its like having the giant buck walk out and not being able to pull your bow back that you have done 1000 times in practice.

Comment

I could not live w myself after reading this... the guy that died actually was walking after the bear attack meaning if they had gone back to help he could have very well been helped back up mountain... i cant believe they called off search that night
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X