No announcement yet.

BBQ/Smoker...UDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've built several UDS's and agree they are about as good of a cooker as anything I've got. I also have a WSM and a stick burner, but really only use the WSM and drum smoker.

Comment

I like!!

Comment

Originally posted by Legdog View Post
        Grndchecker

You should bring one to bownanza in March. It would be prefect for that event and I'm sure many would like to see how you rig 'em (including me).
        Yup, I'd like to check it out as well. Got some feelers out now to locate some drums.

Comment

Any one know where I could get a drum around the Houston area?

Comment

Seems like carefully wrapping it in some heat resistant insulation would help with maintaining heat.

Comment

I've never had any problems with maintaining heat on my UDS. It's a pretty easy setup process and easy cooking process as well. Here's another UDS thread. Some people have taken them to epic levels, and some just prefer the ugly drums. There are 489 pages in the thread and it takes several pages to reach the pictures of smokers. The thread was started 3 or 4 years ago and has grown from there.

Last edited by tkuehn5410; 01-06-2011, 11:11 AM.

Comment

I just scored some barrels, so the wheels are now turning. Looks like I’ll have a few left for feeders as well. When I get started I'll throw something in the DIY section.

Comment

i made one of these the other day........have not cooked anything on it yet....

if anybody needs or is looking for a barrel i have a few still in my backyard that originally had apple juice concentrate / pinapple juice concentrate in them.

Tomball area

Comment

After having spent the better part of the morning following the links, I decided I neede to build one. Got a barrel out of the barn at lunch and am now well on my way. I am really anxious to try it out. I have the 3/4 nipples welded on, now got to do a good hot burn on it to get the junk out before I run the sandblaster inside it. After that I should be good to go, got to do some scrounging for the rest of my parts.

Thanks for the heads up on this design.

Comment

I built one of these about 2 years ago. It is the most efficeint cooking machine i have ever used. Set the airholes to get the temp where you want it, and it will sit there for 24 plus hours if you wanted it to. Pretty awesome seeing this thread. Cost me less than $100 to build.
                      After seeing mine in action 2 of my bros and one buddy have now built them.
                      You can't go wrong with the UDS, if built right

Comment

you can also get drums from a rigging shop if there is one near you. I use chain drums. The charcaol basket is the best way to go I think. I put in 18lbs of mesquite(HEB) charcaol in the basket and then pull out 1 briquet for each pound, so I have 18 briquets pulled out of the center of basket.I light them, get them going, then dump them back into the center of 18lbs in the basket, set the basket back in drum and start bringing it up to temp for smoking. I have had that 18lbs last over 20hrs. I have never needed to go back and add charcoal to complete a brisquet smoke yet.

When you get your new drum setup, just make sure you "burn" it in to get all the paint etc burned off, I built mine off the BBQ Brethern websitem easiest smoker I have ever used...I even got rid of my side fire box pit, the drum is alot better for me.
                        I dont have any pics, my smoker is at the lease right now.

Comment

As far as the drum not holding heat, I can tell you for example New Years cook that I did, that was 18 lbs of charcoal started at approx 12:30, brizquet was dne by 8 pm. The next morning(daylight) drum was still around 190-200 degrees, I warmed up some brisquet and sausage on it for breakfast...granted the charcoal was about done.
                          The charcoal basket, with the intake holes is the way to go....I never would have believed how it works until I used one.The intake holes allow you to fine tune the temps.
                          Using the mesquite charcoal I have never needed to add wood for smoke, meat comes off with excellent bark and smoke ring so far on each one I have done.

Comment

I guess the purpose of the ball valve on the bottom is for air, what is the purpose of capping the other holes drilled on the bottom?

Comment

Originally posted by southtexasff View Post
                              I guess the purpose of the ball valve on the bottom is for air, what is the purpose of capping the other holes drilled on the bottom?

i went even more redneck and cheap on mine, and instead of using a ball valve and caps, i use refridgerator magnets. One is a pizza hut, one is a realtor, and one is Pei wei.
                              I can adjust the air holes to get any temp i want. If i want 250, i keep two holes completely shut down, and one hole open about half. 300 degrees one is full open, the other 2 closed. Open all 3 air holes on the bottom full bore, can get me about 400 degrees, which is perfect for cooking hole chickens.
                              If I crack the lid a little with all 3 open, i can get good burger cooking temps, and flare ups that can singe arm hair if not careful.

I use lump charcoal, because not as much ash is produced. With briquets after a few hours you have to kick it a few times to get the ashes to settle. With the lump, I don' t have to do it untill 6 or so hours.

Comment

Have you seen these as well?

I have my parts for one of these already bought, just have not put it together yet. It's my Spring project (well, one of them at least).

Bought the parts at Tractor Supply.

The UDS design is much simpler, but I chose this one in order to be able to smoke a whole pig.

J.P.

Comment

Working...
                                X