Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I refuse to eat feral hog...change my mind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Capt.Brown View Post
    No pigs here, there yote and buzzard food
    Same here. I’ve been around farms and ranches all my life. But I won’t eat a wild hog. I trap and hunt feral hogs. They are left for the worms and the rest of the cleanup crews to eat.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Fangman View Post
      I would rather eat wild hog meat , than whitetail deer, you are missing out.
      Same here.

Comment

I’ve eaten feral hog several times. Pretty good eating and saves me a couple trips to the grocery store. Personally, I try to fill my deer tags and then hit the ducks so my freezer is full before I start chasing hogs.

Comment

I do not think they are better than store-bought pork. But, I do eat the smaller ones less than 100 pounds. They are good for certain things. But, they are useless for bacon and ribs.
          Good for pan sausage, good for pork chops, and good for roasts.
          I treat them just like deer by letting them lay in the ice chest and drain the blood every day for about 5 to 7 days. The real small ones are great for roasting whole.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Fangman View Post
            I would rather eat wild hog meat , than whitetail deer, you are missing out.
            While I wouldn't go that far, wild hog is some great eatin'.

Comment

We eat them all year long and love it. Crock pot link sausage breakfast sausage carnitas you name it and it's good.
              All the people saying boars aren't good to eat we have ate boars up to 300 and couldn't tell a difference. Give me a 200 pound boar over a drawn down sow any day.

Comment

IMO wild hog meat has a better, less-gamy flavor than white tail meat (to me personally o but, I like them both). However, just because they are the nastiest animal you’ve had an encounter with doesn’t mean they’re the nastiest animal you’ve ever eaten. Chicken, farm raised pigs, and farm raised turkey (THANKSGIVING) are all disgusting animals. More could be added to this list. Shoot a small one, throw it on the grill/smoker and enjoy.

Comment

Nothing but pest and an excellent field test for equipment.
                  I leave them dead.

Comment

I refuse to comment, egos flaring. God bless Texas.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jcjohnson View Post
                      Do you eat store bought pork?
                      I often wonder why someone would eat store bought pork but not rave over leaner, 100% organic, all natural wild pork. And with store bought who the heck knows what they are being fed. Who knows how deep the crap is they live in. Who knows how many $10/hr hands have touched the meat while being cleaned, then transported (did it stay cold?) then butchered. Then how long did it stay for sale?

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
                      I think it’s one of the best game meats out there.
                      Do you eat catfish? How about tilapia? Chickens?
                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Wild pigs eat almost all natural grass, corn etc. Sure a few that are hungry eat something dead but what animal doesn't?

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                      They're better than store bought pork in my opinion. They might eat some nasty stuff but it's not like it seeps into the meat. A lot of a stuff eats gross things but taste delicious. Snake,snapping turtle,fish,lobster,crab,bullfrog....They all eat nasty stuff but I have no problem eating them. Shoot a small hog that hasn't had enough time to eat a lot of gross stuff and throw that sucker on the grill.
                      A lot depends on what area of the State you shoot them in. Some places they have a strong game taste. Other places almost no game taste.

Doesn't hurt to try and eat one where you hunt. Worse case you wasted 5-10 minutes cleaning part of one. Just throw it on the grill when you're already cooking something else.

I'm NOT a fan of spending hours trying to make something that doesn't taste good, taste good. Not unless I know it will be great. This goes for duck, carp, gar, armadillo etc.

Comment

You at least need to try it, I think you would change your mind. They make excellent sausage.

In fact had a blind taste test this year with about 10 people. Same recipe with hog (medium sow) batch and venison batch (doe) ....everyone liked both, but hog won hands down as preferred...

Try it before you knock it!

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
                          I don’t eat them anymore after knowing a few people who got diseases from eating some. If you cook the meat to 170 degrees, it should kill any bacteria in the meat, but I don’t take the chance anymore.
                          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          People get diseases and sick from every other animal on the planet also. Just saying. You would need to know how much is eaten compared to how many get sick to know if it's more or less than getting sick at Long John Silvers.

Comment

I've had huge hogs that were great and small hogs that were bad. I don't know why. A pig is one of the cleanest animals there is. For the record, a chicken is the nastiest animal next to a buzzard.
                            Last edited by oktx; 11-03-2018, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Hard to beat a shoulder or hind quarter thrown on the smoker!

Comment

No

Comment

Working...
                                X