No announcement yet.

Cmon Academy ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like others have said, several stores will fire you for trying to stop a robbery. This guy knew that before he acted. Academy and many others would rather lose some product than either be sued by the criminal or worse by the family of a dead employee

Comment

The guy broke the rules and got fired for it. During my time with academy we stopped theives all the time but we never put hands on them and we actually had to see them conceal the products. Sounds like this guy just heard stop that guy and grabbed the person running. What if all the yelling caused people to run out of the store and he grabbed the wrong person? What if the theif decided to pull another gun out of his pocket and shoot the employee? Now I'm not saying I disagree with what he did, if I was in the same situation it would have been tempting to do the same. But you have to be prepared for the consequences of your actions.

Comment

The manager will look back on this and thank God he did what he did and know he is way better off for taking action.

Comment

So are we banning Academy or not?!?!?!

I've got a running list around here somewhere.......

Comment

It's a rule, it is put there for a reason. I think society and it's current state is the reason the rule is there. I can't blame the company.
            I worked at Walmart to get meslef through college. We had a girl once try to get back stolen merchandise by reaching into the car of the suspect. He drove off with her hanging on the door.

The new policy should be no handling of firearms without proper ID. The customer has to give ID over first. Associate checks ID then can hand the customer the gun with a trigger lock.

Would some this policy really offend anyone here when looking at a firearm?

Comment

Originally posted by FriscoAg View Post
              So are we banning Academy or not?!?!?!

I've got a running list around here somewhere.......
              I think we boycott Academy roughly once per week. Except during bownanza when everyone out drinking.

Comment

I worked at Academy way back in '92 and '93....same policy. We couldn't touch the thieves. Just watch them leave.

The parking lot was a different story though

Comment

This succinctly sums up problems in America today: PC culture is killing us. He should be given a bonus for doing the correct thing, not fired. If this jerk killed a child with the stolen .40 every libtard would be screaming about it.

Do the right thing! My grandfather is rolling in his grave right about now.

Comment

Originally posted by clayree View Post
                    This succinctly sums up problems in America today: PC culture is killing us. He should be given a bonus for doing the correct thing, not fired. If this jerk killed a child with the stolen .40 every libtard would be screaming about it.

Do the right thing! My grandfather is rolling in his grave right about now.
                    Yep.

I'm sure the guy will end up with a much better job.

Academy PR folks will be earning their check this week.

Comment

I worked at Academy in high school. We had a "MIT" manager in training that was fresh out of the Marines and he was a bad mfer. Back then (almost 20 years ago) we used to have the camping section if you guys remember. A turfed area where tents where up on display. We had a bad problem with people grabbing a new pair of shoes or boots off of the shelf in the footwear department and then going into one of the tents and putting them on. They would put their old shoes in the box and put the box back on the shelf and walk out of the store. One day the MIT was suspicious of a customer and followed him around from a distance and busted him. He cut him off at the front door and told him he was going to have to pay for those shoes. The guy took off running and ended up face first in the concrete in the parking lot somehow

MIT drug him back into the store and called the cops.

Times were a bit different back then obviously cause said MIT was back at work the next day and all that happened was he got to read the employee handbook again.

Comment

I would think that a firearm theft would trump all other policy. If the guys walking out with a pair of sunglasses, I can see not allowing your employees to pursue him.

Comment

America's going down hill faster than ever!

Comment

I agree the manager did the right thing. Part of this policy across all retail is that until they are out the door and in the parking lot there is no crime committed. To be able to prosecute for shop lifting the person has to have merchandise and leave the store property.

I agree that stopping someone from getting out the door with a gun is much different than watching a kid steal a pair of socks and grabbing him in the parking lot. Just giving my experience from managing retail stores and what I was told by different corp offices

Comment

All of these types of incidents can end just as soon as the appropriate legislative body ends the ability to file such lawsuits.

It is not good business sense to say that we protected a $500 item by paying a $10,000 lawsuit.

Comment

Sorry, I am old school, no use for thieves. For evil to succeed it just takes good men to do nothing. Too much nothing going on right now.

Comment

Working...
                                X