Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you shoot traditional and compound and be good at both?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you shoot traditional and compound and be good at both?

Been bow hunting a long time, been a Bi-bowhunter since about 2008ish. I really tried traditional alot during 2008-2010 seasons then backed off some with some resurgence here and there. Seems when I shoot my traditional more my target panic with compound gets worse. There are certain hunts I like my compound and some I want to hunt traditional but all archery all the time.

Does anybody do both regularly and well? Is there a certain aiming style that works well with traditional that won't interfere with compound?

I have taken a nice buck this yr with my compound. I would like to get my remaining doe and buck with one of my traditional bows the last weekend of the season but seems my shooting is very inconsistent right now since I've been compound only all season.

I shoot both but traditional about 95% of the time. 5% compound when my shoulder is acting up.

Lot of different answers to traditional "aiming".
    I use a fixed crawl method.

Short version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LthFu6fxjeM
    Long version: https://vimeo.com/165492595
    (aiming methods starts at 40:00, fixed crawl at 1:05:00)

Comment

Brady Ellison does a great job of recurve to compound and back again and I’m sure many many more. Archery is archery while traditional takes more to maintain skill and gain skill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I shoot instinctive, but I couldn’t do both. I tried but my accuracy suffered with either Bow when I was trying to do both. I sold my compound and went all trad. With that said when I was struggling I was just starting out too. Now I wonder if I could shoot a compound too since my form with my trad Bows is better. But I don’t think I’ll ever pick up a compound again unless I get injured or hit a wall I can’t get past with my trad bows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I shoot both. I always take both when Javelina hunting. I just like to keep up with both. The older I get and the less muscle mass I have, I have gone down in poundage on both. Down to low 60's on the wheeler and 40 to 50 on the recurve.

Comment

I've hunted with my recurve all season. I fractured a finger and kept shooting. The it broke completely. I kept shooting, managed to kill a couple doe, but it got bad enougb my shot consistency was questionable. Picked up my Hoyt and pounded bulls at 20, 25 and 30. I shot my recurve last evening. First 3 or 4 shots were a bit off but then the next three were acceptable but after 8 arrows I had all I wanted. I'm going to finish my season with my Carbon Spyder. A wrist strap release doesn't stress the finger and maybe it will heal.
            I will enjoy bow hunting regardless but I am a bit disappointed.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

I think a guy can be good at both, but only if he shoots the trad bows all the time. Most folks tend to lose consistency with the trad bows if they don’t shoot shoot them regularly. It takes a long time to learn good form and consistency with no sights and no letoff, but usually only a short time to lose it if you don’t shoot regularly.

JMHO,

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I shoot and hunt with both. I think shooting traditional actually helps me be a better compound shooter.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                  I think a guy can be good at both, but only if he shoots the trad bows all the time. Most folks tend to lose consistency with the trad bows if they don’t shoot shoot them regularly. It takes a long time to learn good form and consistency with no sights and no letoff, but usually only a short time to lose it if you don’t shoot regularly.

JMHO,

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                  Agree.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, when I owned my last trad bow, I was mainly a compound guy but the fun was in shooting the recursive.

Comment

Another question to extend this, easier to shot both compound AND recurve or long bow? I have both and have been shooting my Darrel's long. Ow but not as consistent with it as I am with my grizzly recurve

Comment

To be honest, it's completely a personal thing. Some folks like and are better shots with a Recurve, some prefer a longbow. I'm a little on the goofy side! I can shoot my recurves better, more accurately (Most people do shoot a recurve better than a longbow) but prefer to shoot my longbows. Just have to work a little harder with them.

LD

Comment

I don't think I could be good at both. I have to shoot my trad gear ALOT to stay in the groove. Others probably don't "lose it" as fast as I do, but if I go 10 days or so without shooting it takes me close to a week of shooting every day to get back where I was. Even if it just a few arrows at a blank bale in the garage, I have to shoot at least every other day to stay sharp.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost Arra View Post
                            I shoot both but traditional about 95% of the time. 5% compound when my shoulder is acting up.

Lot of different answers to traditional "aiming".
                            I use a fixed crawl method.

Short version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LthFu6fxjeM
                            Long version: https://vimeo.com/165492595
                            (aiming methods starts at 40:00, fixed crawl at 1:05:00)
                            That is one of the best explained videos I think I have seen.
                            Thanks alot

Comment

Tagged. Great video

Comment

Working...
                              X