No announcement yet.

Menard county hunting updates 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had just over an inch in town. Two inches south and west of town and just over two inches about 12 miles east of town. We are supposed to get a couple more tenths today.
    Cloudy and foggy.
    Adios,
    Gary

Comment

Gary,
      Is anyone going to open up a processing place in town this year?
      I used to carry mine to the place behind Ranch Hand meats.
      Last time I tried they had closed down.

Comment

In and ready good luck to all!!

Comment

Real foggy here in south Concho county

Comment

Painfully slow weekend. Too much food on the ground for them right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
              I have had just over an inch in town. Two inches south and west of town and just over two inches about 12 miles east of town. We are supposed to get a couple more tenths today.
              Cloudy and foggy.
              Adios,
              Gary
              Thanks for all the great updates, Gary.

Comment

Originally posted by The Manager View Post
                Painfully slow weekend. Too much food on the ground for them right now.
                I did not get to go this weekend, but I would have guessed the same. They have a lot of food on the ground right now and I would think the activity is way down.

Comment

Couple of us went up this weekend. Pretty dang wet and wow was it green!!
                  Pics from cams show some promise and feeding protein this past off season seems to have really paid off.
                  Also saw some pics of some huge pigs.
                  Didn't get to hunt except for Sunday AM and saw tons of doves, but nothing with 4 legs.

Comment

Hunted twice this weekend and the deer I saw were small and browsing along the edges. SLOW. Killed 2 rattlesnakes.

Comment

Originally posted by SV72 View Post
                      Hunted twice this weekend and the deer I saw were small and browsing along the edges. SLOW. Killed 2 rattlesnakes.
                      Thanks for the update, make my decision on where to go this set off a little easier to swallow.

Comment

Only saw 6 deer total all weeekend. Sunday morning was beautiful but the moon and food was working against us.

Comment

We are in the northeastern most part of Menard County. We are about 2.5miles west of FM 1311 on the San Saba river. We will be heading out again on 10/22. I'm hoping we can get some cooler temps that weekend to get these deer moving a little better than opening weekend. Good luck to you all!

Comment

For the past 5 years I have been on a ranch in the Menard County just North of Fort McKavett up CR 2873. We have a lot of deer and Axis roaming around and typically will see up to 20 animals during a sit. Opening weekend I got there and noticed almost 4" of rain in the gauge and LOTS of (FAT) acorns on the ground. Opening morning wasn't too slow but not likes its normal sits.

Comment

That's crazy about the numbers. We are just west of Hext and had the feeders going one week,(usually feed year round but we had lots of cattle on the place this year and turned feeders off for 9 months) I saw 19 deer opening morning and my buddy saw 17 and shot a mature 10 during that sit. I was concerned about the acorns but the deer came to all the feeders regardless. I sat Sunday night on opening weekend on the other side of the pasture and saw 18 including one super nice mature 8. Now we have owned this place for 28 years and the feeders have been in the same place during that time. Like others, I'm waiting for it to cool off.

Comment

Originally posted by tsnksmith View Post
                                For the past 5 years I have been on a ranch in the Menard County just North of Fort McKavett up CR 2873. We have a lot of deer and Axis roaming around and typically will see up to 20 animals during a sit. Opening weekend I got there and noticed almost 4" of rain in the gauge and LOTS of (FAT) acorns on the ground. Opening morning wasn't too slow but not likes its normal sits.
                                We are neighbors on 2873. Just leaving from ranch now, it was a slow weekend with the moon and tons of acorns on the ground. Still a good time though!

Comment

Working...
                                X