No announcement yet.

Looks Like We Are Losing Our Lease !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LovinTxHuntin, I think people are missing your point. I think it is pretty crappy the guy is pulling this on you. It is a shame that people lack the integrity to abide by their agreements. He is showing a lack of that to just dump this on you. Maybe he is having some financial issues?? The guy should have at least sit down with yall and talked it over. Yes, I do agree you have a pretty good deal as far as price goes, and yes, unfortunately, the guy could lease it out for a lot more. Guess its up to you to decide if you are willing to lease from someone who is showing a lack of integrity. My question would be, is he going to pull something else on you in the future? Who knows, maybe he has an offer on the place and is looking at ways to chase you off.

Comment

Originally posted by acearrow View Post
      LovinTxHuntin, I think people are missing your point. I think it is pretty crappy the guy is pulling this on you. It is a shame that people lack the integrity to abide by their agreements. He is showing a lack of that to just dump this on you. Maybe he is having some financial issues?? The guy should have at least sit down with yall and talked it over. Yes, I do agree you have a pretty good deal as far as price goes, and yes, unfortunately, the guy could lease it out for a lot more. Guess its up to you to decide if you are willing to lease from someone who is showing a lack of integrity. My question would be, is he going to pull something else on you in the future? Who knows, maybe he has an offer on the place and is looking at ways to chase you off.
      Yep!!
      And I wouldn't be too quick on sayin somebody else will pay it. My brother went on a dig a couple months ago and said the LO's were begging for somebody to lease their places, thousands of acres, and nobody hunting them.
      We are looking into a couple places now!!

Comment

Originally posted by RogueSamurai View Post
        Depends on how good it is, etc. He might have to eat it for a while.
        If he eats it for one year, he will be behind the 8 ball. When someone sticks it to you like that, simply wait until the very last moment (within your agreement) to tell them you are getting off. There's nothing wrong with it and he can sweat it for a while. Wait until the first 8 or 10 groups call and he says there is no water and electric is a few thousand a year. Smart people would leave.

Comment

Plenty of people have no problem with no water/electric leases.. it will be gone quick for whatever the guy wants them to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by Farmdog View Post
            Never argue over electricity or water...pony up. Everyone knows how fast he could lease it out to someone for more money. I understand your frustration though. Its a personal choice to decide how much bs to put up with. I myself dont put up with much either
            I get where you're coming from but in the deer lease bidniss, elec and water is a staple. That's just smart.

Comment

Originally posted by acearrow View Post
              My neighbor once said, "The sh## never ends." In this situation, he would be correct. If it's not water and electric, it'll be something else. I just got off a lease that was this way. Now, ten of us are stuck with a $500 bill for who knows what. If you pay it, the situation will get worse and worse and worse. If you fix the water/drill a well (which in NB is outrageously costly), the following year, he will turn and lease it to someone else for twice as much. Leave a big dust trail on your way out.

Comment

Originally posted by Livin'2hunt View Post
                I get where you're coming from but in the deer lease bidniss, elec and water is a staple. That's just smart.
                Most deer leases are simple supplemental income to the property they are on.
                (ie Farms, ranches,etc) and the necessities some hunters require are definitely not a 'staple' to the landowners in terms of getting their property leased.
                Amenities are selling points, but not requirements for leasing.

They aren't making more land.

Comment

Buy your own land. Lease it out to a group of dumb hunters to make the payments. Load it up with sheep and goats that the hunters feed for you because you require them to feed year around. Hunt all their feeders and setups during the week when they are not there. Problem solved! Oh, and there's more money in raising goats and sheep than there are cattle.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                    Most deer leases are simple supplemental income to the property they are on.
                    (ie Farms, ranches,etc) and the necessities some hunters require are definitely not a 'staple' to the landowners in terms of getting their property leased.
                    Amenities are selling points, but not requirements for leasing.

They aren't making more land.
                    Agreed
                    I dont get why a person requires elec. and water.
                    If i had to find another lease i would not sign anything that required me to pay for elec. or water because i would not use any. And I certainly be fine to find a place that did not provide either.
                    Id never pay for improvements to another man place ( like dig or repair a well)
                    Id help with the labor on any project but im not paying for it.

Comment

Plenty of people have no problem with no water/electric leases.. it will be gone quick for whatever the guy wants them to pay.
                      True. Water is easy if you have a travel trailer with fresh water holding tank. I have eight 6-gallon water containers that I've used for this purpose on a couple of leases. And it was really not that big a deal.

Electricity is a little harder to do without in my opinion. I would have tried to negotiate with the owner to leave the electricity in his name for the lower rate and just raise the price of the lease to cover it. Then just fix the well only if it's worth it to you. If not, haul in water. No big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                        Agreed
                        I dont get why a person requires elec. and water.
                        If i had to find another lease i would not sign anything that required me to pay for elec. or water because i would not use any. And I certainly be fine to find a place that did not provide either.
                        Id never pay for improvements to another man place ( like dig or repair a well)
                        Id help with the labor on any project but im not paying for it.
                        If you want to work on your place in the summer and sweat your butt off for days on end with no shower, that's your deal. I care more about my bowhunting than that. I said it was a staple. I didn't say someone wouldn't lease a piece of unimproved property but lacking those "amenities" lowers the value in my eyes. As much as it costs to hunt and purchase equipment and feed, I'm not going to sell my success short by not showering and neglecting basic needs. If you guys want that, sounds like there's a place in New Braunfels that just opened up.

Comment

you are getting testy.
                          There are a lot of TBHers that do fresh water tanks on their setups...you know this...you've been around long enough to read their threads both in the campfire and DIY...
                          they certainly don't 'sell their success short'... by any means.

Man.. when did hunting become so wussified that people get ****** off when they cant take a shower in air conditioning?

Comment

If you want to work on your place in the summer and sweat your butt off for days on end with no shower, that's your deal. I care more about my bowhunting than that. I said it was a staple. I didn't say someone wouldn't lease a piece of unimproved property but lacking those "amenities" lowers the value in my eyes. As much as it costs to hunt and purchase equipment and feed, I'm not going to sell my success short by not showering and neglecting basic needs. If you guys want that, sounds like there's a place in New Braunfels that just opened up.
                            He's paying $7.50 per acre. That's super low. All we're saying is he's on a cheap lease. One can't expect to be on a cheap lease AND have water and electric and 200" bucks and exotics.

You can want in one hand and.........

Also, I'd like to hear the other side of this story. If you had agreements then he was wrong for breaking them. But lets face it, verbal agreements now a days are worth the paper you use to wipe with.

Comment

Bring a couple 5 gal buckets of water and a portable hot water shower. We take hot showers in the back country of NM.
                              There are many options. Most a lot cheaper that paying another mans water/ elec. bills

Comment

you are getting testy.
                                There are a lot of TBHers that do fresh water tanks on their setups...you know this...you've been around long enough to read their threads both in the campfire and DIY...
                                they certainly don't 'sell their success short'... by any means.

Man.. when did hunting become so wussified that people get ****** off when they cant take a shower in air conditioning?
                                No, I'm not testy. Tone isn't conveyed well through text. I'm trying to offer advice from my personal experiences. My frustration is not with hunters here. I have hunted in less than desirable conditions, bathed in cisterns in December, etc. BTW, that's freakin' COLD. My frustration is with landowners that allow their places to fall into disrepair and expect hunters to fix and improve the basics when they're charging top dollar. Those that refuse to invest any money back into their property don't get my dollars anymore. I have made things work, froze my butt off, stayed in cabins that rats were scared of but the lease prices were a lot cheaper. These days, I don't have time to set up a village so, if I'm paying $3K to hunt 120 class deer, I should have access to water and elec. The lease I just got off, the landowner would do NOTHING to improve or repair things. He had half mile stretches of fence lying on the ground. We didn't mind helping but he wouldn't buy the wire or t-posts. I've seen this play out too many times, the OP is headed for misery with this guy or a major price increase.

Comment

Working...
                                X