Release failure or D loop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Release failure or D loop?

I just started shooting my new triax and have had on 2 occasions about half way back, the arrow shoots. Using the same cobra release for over 10 years. Finger always behind trigger when pulling back. My D loop material seems different than whats on my switchback and the new loop I had put on my sons bow. Those seems to be a really firm material. The one on my triax looks like the same type, but a lot softer. Any possible way the loop is pulling through or is the release just wore out?

Is your release triggered afterwards?

Comment

Cobra release...10 years!!??? Go get a new release.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
        Is your release triggered afterwards?
        Wish i could tell you. Its such a shock to me that i haven't noticed.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
          I have a new one. The loop material bothers me because its different. Its so much more "flexible" than the other two.

Comment

This...and change t he D loop.

Comment

Not sure about the release but if you some string wax into the D loop it may stiffen up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I shoot an Overkill brand release and had similar issues years ago. The exception being my bow and loop were not new. Overkill told me my release was dirty and needed cleaning. I took it completely apart, no easy task if you are not used to doing it, lots of small moving parts. Anyway, this 100% resolved the problem. So now I clean my release every Fall before bow season opens.

Comment

Originally posted by pistolpete View Post
                  Using the same cobra release for over 10 years.
                  Any possible way the loop is pulling through or is the release just wore out?

Chances are the release is worn out. It may be closed but when pressure is applied to the jaws, they part just enough to let the D loop slip through. Or the jaws have so much wear they don't actually come together anymore. This is a common way caliper style releases wear out.

If you think it is the softer material, I guess it could be. Sometimes the softer material is slightly thinner than the other. I have used both, and I prefer the softer material because it seems to reduce more torque on the string, because it is more flexible, speaking as a target shooter.

Try this - hook your release on the D loop and pull on it enough to put some tension on it by pulling on it just a few inches, but don't actually draw the bow. You should be able to see the jaws and the problem may show up and you can see what happened.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Comment

This. Upgrade your release. Go get a top of the line release to go with that top end bow (well top end for a Mathews ). If you are worried and thinking about that release failing every time your pull back, your accuracy will suffer.
                    Last edited by Jamesl; 06-13-2018, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Change the D loop!

Comment

You said you have a new Cobra release? Can you post pictures of it snapped onto the DLoop? I've seen some releases that just do not close all of the way.

It could be, but unlikely, that the new release has a faulty spring. I would think if it was a faulty spring, it would happen on every shot.

I'm more inclined to think that your release was not closed all of the way or not hooked on properly. Some of the new DLoop material is smaller but it should not make a difference on the release.

Comment

Spend some money on a good release, your brand new bow deserves it.

Comment

Originally posted by pistolpete View Post
                            I just started shooting my new triax and have had on 2 occasions about half way back, the arrow shoots. Using the same cobra release for over 10 years. Finger always behind trigger when pulling back. My D loop material seems different than whats on my switchback and the new loop I had put on my sons bow. Those seems to be a really firm material. The one on my triax looks like the same type, but a lot softer. Any possible way the loop is pulling through or is the release just wore out?

I found the problem. Your release is worn out

Comment

Working...
                            X