No announcement yet.

School me on frog giggin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've tried most all forms to catch or kill em. The .22 to the dome works well but they are so nervy they may still jump after they're dead. If your near deep water this is no bueno. The best method was about a two foot long mesh net on the end of a pole. The end of the net has a rope attached that you hold in your left hand. Slowly come over the top and drop the rope. It works!

Comment

We grew up grabbing them by hand as well...takes a little practice, but its alot of fun. Find a good shallow slough or lake with lots of vegetation and you will find frogs. Spotlight hooked up to a battery and a trolling motor and youre ready to roll

Comment

talk to "gander" he catches B&C frogs

Comment

Originally posted by johnpaul View Post
          talk to "gander" he catches B&C frogs

Lol. That's awesome

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
            How'd you use the worm? I've used the rubber frogs but never a worm
            I did the same thing. This technique works during the daytime just as well. So be prepared for to use colors for bass. The frog will home in on the vibrations more than they will the colors. We would cast out past the large eyes out in the water and fish it slow topside until we got within a few feet of the target frog. Then we would stop the retrieve and shake the rod tip just enough to make the grub vibrate in the water. The Frogs would home in on the vibrations and swim in for the attack. We used a large 5/0-7/0 wide gap worm hook with a large 5" curly tail grub worm on a spinning rod set up. The spinning rod was easier to cast than a baitcast for what we were doing. It was a heck of a fight with the big ones too!!

Comment

Originally posted by hrdwrkncwby76 View Post
              I did the same thing. This technique works during the daytime just as well. So be prepared for to use colors for bass. The frog will home in on the vibrations more than they will the colors. We would cast out past the large eyes out in the water and fish it slow topside until we got within a few feet of the target frog. Then we would stop the retrieve and shake the rod tip just enough to make the grub vibrate in the water. The Frogs would home in on the vibrations and swim in for the attack. We used a large 5/0-7/0 wide gap worm hook with a large 5" curly tail grub worm on a spinning rod set up. The spinning rod was easier to cast than a baitcast for what we were doing. It was a heck of a fight with the big ones too!!
              This! Also if you see them on the bank, just cast past them and off the side and drag it up by them. They'll jump on it and shovel it in their mouth with their front legs and BAM set the hook!

Comment

Can you catch/eat frogs year round?

Comment

Froggin time right now. Might want to check the bag limit if you really get into them.

Comment

See aggie nation post !! Man I'm cracking myself up!!!!!

Comment

I've done all the ways mentioned above and the best by far is using a good gig. When we go out and catch one hundred frogs we usually only miss a few (depending on how much keystone light is consumed) because they are so easy to catch on the gigs. The worst way is shooting them with a 22. I'm not sure if y'all are shooting them on land or in water but every frog I have shot with a 22 in the water sinks like a rock. That being said, it is very hard to get close enough with a gig unless you are in a boat. I have tried to walk down small ditches and use the gigs but the frogs spook probably 50% of the time it seems like.

Comment

Buy you a pair of those sticky football gloves that receivers wear at Academy and you will never lose one again.

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post
                          Can you catch/eat frogs year round?
                          Yes, most productive time is mid-late February through October. The colder it gets, the less productive frogging will be plus they'll hibernate when the temp drops into the low 40's - cold-blooded amphibians, so they are unable to regulate their body temp.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                            Froggin time right now. Might want to check the bag limit if you really get into them.
                            No bag limit on frogs except on public hunting lands and they must be listed within the Legal Game Box for that unit. Bag limit then is 25/licensed hunter.

Hunting license is required since frogs are terrestial vertebrates. Fishing license is not required.

Comment

Originally posted by justincorbell View Post
                              if I were you, i'd listen to ol "gander" and "johnpaul" when they speak up about the proper frog gigging techniques.......them to refined rednecks know what they are doing......
                              Gander and JohnPaul gave great techniques and information, pretty much as we did when we had good frogging property. Just didn't do any drinking out of respect for the landowners and their restriction.

Comment

Caught thousands of frogs growing up in Houma, La. We used the claw/clamp type devices due to the "breaking skin" rule was in effect back then. We use take a file or grinder to that device and get it working like a hair trigger and little bite over center to grab better. After some time we got them working good......most major problem we ran into was rookies setting off the hair trigger clamp before a frog was in it lol

Comment

Working...
                                X