X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should this spike be taken out?

Looks 2.5
    Attached Files

I wouldn't kill it unless your just really hungry, looks younger than your estimate as well.

Comment

Lol...not unless you like eating babies. That deer is a yearling

Comment

Well. He dang sure looks like some fine eating. But he's a yearling imo

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes very young, your call

God Bless
          Bish

Comment

I've been watching him all season and body looks quite a bit bigger than all the other yearlings wondering around.

Comment

I'd definitely wait and see what he looks like next year. If the rut is done in your area then it would be a no brainer anymore but it looks like youre in South Texas so it may still be going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon County Slayer View Post
                I'd definitely wait and see what he looks like next year. If the rut is done in your area then it would be a no brainer anymore but it looks like youre in South Texas so it may still be going on.
                He's getting a pass for sure, it's I don't see many like this running around chasing does.

Comment

Id give it one more for sure

Comment

He's 1.5 years. I'd leave him. If you shoot him, be sure to post photo of teeth (back 6 teeth). I've literally looked at tens of thousands of dead deer in over 25 years, and in all that time and dead deer, I've held only 1 spike that was older than 1.5 years. That buck was 8+ yrs.

To maximize buck quality, the best approach is to only shoot bucks that are 6.5 yrs and older. Can't go wrong. Don't worry about culling, just shoot old bucks.

Want meat?...Shoot a doe.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                      He's 1.5 years. I'd leave him. If you shoot him, be sure to post photo of teeth (back 6 teeth). I've literally looked at tens of thousands of dead deer in over 25 years, and in all that time and dead deer, I've held only 1 spike that was older than 1.5 years. That buck was 8+ yrs.

To maximize buck quality, the best approach is to only shoot bucks that are 6.5 yrs and older. Can't go wrong. Don't worry about culling, just shoot old bucks.

Question sir. (Back 6 teeth) do you mean the last 3 teeth on each jaw or the last 6 teeth per jaw? I want to learn how to do this. Thanks

Comment

Maybe he put all his nutrition into his body for his first year of life...

Could possibly be a very tempting two year old next year if his body matures faster than all the other yearlings.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post

Agreed...., that deer is a 1 1/2 year old

Comment

If you have your ratio where you want it and the tags to kill them, then go for it no matter what his age is. I have seen two spikes in all of my years that were over 1.5 yrs old and that is from killing a lot of spikes...

Comment

Another pic, not great but look how black his hocks are
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X