Rice bran questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rice bran questions...

Who feeds rice bran? What is the protein content? How do you feed it--in a trough? In a feeder? How much does it cost per ton? Can you get it in Central Texas?

Thanks!

No experience feeding it, but I probably have some places you can get it from back home. Let me know if you want me to look into it.

Comment

Hey Clint! When I get answers to some other questions I may have to get you to track some down.

Comment

Chance, I have always poured it on the ground. If I remembe right the protein content is in the 10-12% range. Don't quote me on that though. I always used it as an attractant not as a supplement.

Comment

Chance if you can't find rice bran in central texas I bet you can find wheat bran and its the same thing only wheat instead of rice.

Comment

If I remember correctly the protien content was 12-14%. We feed cows rice bran out of feeder troughs. Last year we was paying $105 a ton from the rice dryers out of Lissie 2 yrs ago we were paying $90 a ton. This price was non bagged im not sure what they charge to bag it.

Comment

here in LA you can buy it directly from the rice mill for $50~70 per ton

pretty sure @ 13% protein and 13% fat

Comment

So is it like a powder?

Comment

Used it when I hunted out Carta Valley way and the deer loved it after they got use to it.

Comment

Yes it's real fine

Comment

My buddies up in North Louisiana feed it almost as much as corn. Feed stores up there sell it in 50 lb bags, but I haven't been able to find it around here. 9 times out of 10 when I hunted over it when I was in La, the deer walked right past corn, and stuck their nose in the rice bran. My buddies always just poured it out in piles.

Comment

our callahan co. deer walked right past the bran and went to the corn. even the pigs walked past it. they both tested it, but didnt care for it. once the cows found it though....they cleaned it up and fought over the right to lick the dirt where i poured it.

Comment

I feed deer in the back yard and tried it. it just laid there forever. the deer probably had other foods they liked better at the time.

Comment

It's just like flour Chance. I have been playing with it recently at a spot in the river bottoms. I hadn't seen a deer in months down there and when I put out the rice bran, I started getting deer pics almost immediately. The hogs like it too. I've just been putting it on the ground.

Comment

I've just used it as an attractant as well. The deer in my area love it.

Comment

Working...
                              X