Hunting the arctic blast??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brnhtown View Post
    My pack will be a little lighter since i won't be carrying thermocell and off cans
    mine is heavier in cold weather .... bunch of extra clothes in the pack while dressed light for the hike in

Comment

Good Luck to all who venture out in the Arctic Blast. I'm glad to have wrapped up my Season on Friday. I'm Too old for the Cold.

Comment

Ill be tucked in the big woods so hopefully that breaks most of the wind. With triple layers and insulated camo coveralls, I should be good. I'm thinking the deer will be hunkered down all night and move most of the day, but i'm just an ole knucklehead from east tx. Guess we will see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
          "carrying thermocell and off cans " Didn't the cell work or do you have some bad arse skeeters?
          mosquitos where i hunt are the size of a small chicken hawk, having the thermocell on, i use the off and matches as a flame thrower as added protection

Comment

Wish I could hunt this go around of cold weather, but I will be working nights. More then likely fighting freezing issues on the pipeline and compressor stations.

Comment

Too cold for me! The big thing is going to be the 15-25 m.p.h. winds out of the north.

Comment

I love hunting in cold weather! I like testing my gear and seeing how long I can last lol. Hunting in North Carolina I hunted in some single digit temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If I leave the house to do any hunting this week my blind is gonna be on wheels, have a dodge ram head on the tailgate, and has a durn good heater.

Comment

Only advantage I can think of is that the meat won't spoil. I may be out on the 2nd. I will be out on the 5-7th.

Comment

Predator hunted in 12 degree weather today. It ain't bad if the wind ain't blowing. The other day my fingers got numb and didn't see anything by noon so I went home. It was so cold nothin wanted any part of that weather. Had I been seeing coyotes I'd have had frost bite by the end of the day.

I don't know about deer but when it's cold coyotes are on their feet looking for food. I don't see why deer wouldn't do the same thing.
                      Last edited by okrattler; 12-31-2017, 01:27 AM.

Comment

The deer and hogs will hit the corn hard in cold weather!!!

Comment

29 in Bronte

Comment

Holy crap y’all be careful hit some black ice and did about 6 fishtails in the opposite shoulder!!

Comment

Most of the critters will bed down when the front hits and will stay bedded until they need to drink and eat. This can last for 24hrs or more before they start moving and feeding, usually when the sun pops out or the wind dies down. Once up and moving and acclimated they will continue to move to stay warm. They will also seek sheltered areas out of the wind, canyons, low areas, thick cedars, etc. to hang out in.

Comment

Originally posted by brnhtown View Post
                                Ill be tucked in the big woods so hopefully that breaks most of the wind. With triple layers and insulated camo coveralls, I should be good. I'm thinking the deer will be hunkered down all night and move most of the day, but i'm just an ole knucklehead from east tx. Guess we will see how it goes.
                                Actually its the opposite. Night, they move to keep themselves warm. Day, they will layup on Southside of ridges facing the sun.

Comment

Working...
                                X