Archery Only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by justin81 View Post
    This is just my thinking, but it seems to be a crossbow is a lot easier to learn how to use. Maybe they don't have a lot of deer in those counties and feel bow and arrow evens the odds a bit more due to the practice and time needed to shoot a bow correctly?????
    Wheels are just as easy to shoot...

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
      Are you 100% sure you could sight a vertical bow in for your boys?
      In my mind, a bow is an individual fit piece of hunting equipment.
      I really like the fact that small framed hunters and older, or handicapped hunters are able to hunt with an Xbow during the "Archery only" season, but why does the State of Texas differentiate these 4 counties from the rest of the State?
      Because God blessed only 4 counties😜

Comment

I think the state of Texas gives archery hunters a 5 week advantage before deer can be shot with rifles. In the archery only counties, the state of Texas gives "real" archery hunters an advantage over crossbow shooters because they wouldn't have one otherwise.

I still would like to buy a crossbow though

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
          No Hate at all. My grandson has been killing deer and hogs with one since he was 5 years old. Hunting with him has been the high point of my life but they are not really bow hunting.
          More like a single shot rifle
          End of discussion....close thread!!

Comment

Way back when Traditional archers said the same thing about compounds. Some still do. Haha I like them all. Stick and string to crossbow. To each his own, but we all need to stick together. IMO

Comment

Crossbow has a stock and a trigger. Not archery. Still awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mohawkman View Post
                Way back when Traditional archers said the same thing about compounds. Some still do. Haha I like them all. Stick and string to crossbow. To each his own, but we all need to stick together. IMO

Comment

I liked the old rule where they were only allowed during general season or for the handicapped.

I think the rule OP is questioning stemmed from Grayson county. The good thing about grayson is, when TPWD has a meeting regarding the rules and reg, bowhunters show up in good numbers and voice their opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbdwyer View Post
                    Crossbow has a stock and a trigger. Not archery. Still awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    My release has a trigger. Should releases be banned?! [emoji41]

Comment

It is laughable when people try to defend crossbows as archery. If a 8 year old can pick something up. Get a good rest and kill an animal or hit dead center consistently with zero practice.. It isnt archery.. Not to mention the fact you dont have to get drawn on an animal when it is at 20 yards. Come on now

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                        It is laughable when people try to defend crossbows as archery. If a 8 year old can pick something up. Get a good rest and kill an animal or hit dead center consistently with zero practice.. It isnt archery.. Not to mention the fact you dont have to get drawn on an animal when it is at 20 yards. Come on now
                        While I agree, couldn't the same thing be said when comparing crossbows to rifles? No way can a crossbow make a reliable, clean kill anywhere close to the ranges that an off the shelf rifle can. A crossbow isn't a bow no, but it's also not a rifle.

That being said, I have no problem with the current rules in either archery only counties or general counties.

Comment

Quality management would be my guess.
                          It’s a lot easier to get busted with stick and string or wheelie bows.
                          But just my hunch.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
                            While I agree, couldn't the same thing be said when comparing crossbows to rifles? No way can a crossbow make a reliable, clean kill anywhere close to the ranges that an off the shelf rifle can. A crossbow isn't a bow no, but it's also not a rifle.

That being said, I have no problem with the current rules in either archery only counties or general counties.
                            It isnt rifle hunting.. it is crossbow hunting. It doesnt even shoot arrows..

I have nothing against them. In my opinion the people who use them during archery that arent a kid or disabled person are most likely the same people that used to not pick up their bow all year and then wound stuff. So I am good with them. I would much rather most of the deer that get shot get recovered.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                              It isnt rifle hunting.. it is crossbow hunting. It doesnt even shoot arrows..

I have nothing against them. In my opinion the people who use them during archery that arent a kid or disabled person are most likely the same people that used to not pick up their bow all year and then wound stuff. So I am good with them. I would much rather most of the deer that get shot get recovered.

Comment

30 posts and still no real answer. I didn't realize crossbows were not allowed in Archery only counties. I agree with the OP that is doesn't make sense to allow anyone to use crossbows during the Archery only season in every county except for the Archery only counties

Comment

Working...
                                X