Please critique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please critique

Pic with a digital camera... Camera (16 mega pixel) was on auto everything and I was about 150ish yards away... Not sure how much I zoomed in... I assume this is not enoug information but what do you "TBH PHOTO PROS" think/recomand I need to adjust to get a better pic ?
    Attached Files

Slr?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Only thing I can say is let him turn sideways. Pretty drake bwt!! Great picture. Wish I had a nice camera.

Comment

Originally posted by Pkripper View Post
        Slr?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
        Not sure as I am total novice...camera is Nikon coolpix 900

Originally posted by npe001 View Post
        Only thing I can say is let him turn sideways. Pretty drake bwt!! Great picture. Wish I had a nice camera.
        Thank you... I just wish I could have gotten better focus on them... I probably need a tripod for that...
        Last edited by Pedernal; 05-03-2018, 12:51 PM.

Comment

The biggest thing to work on here is composition. Not trying to offend at all, just offering critique (so don't take it the wrong way ) It looks like an accidental snapshot of water that happened to have a couple ducks in the background. Also, there isn't much light or color contrast anywhere in the image, so everything looks kinda bland and flat. That's not your fault, as that's all that there was to work with, it looks like. It's pretty tough to end up with a compelling image in that type of setting.

Beyond composition, you're right that the focus isn't sharp. A tripod or monopod or a faster shutter speed might help. It might also be that the camera focused on the water in the center of the frame, so everything else that was behind that point is out of focus. It's hard to tell for sure what the cause of the out of focus issue was. I'm not sure what camera and lens you were using, but it could also be just a lens quality issue.

Here are some articles on composition that will help....

Comment

A good way to practice composition is to think about different ways to frame a shot and take a pic of every idea you can think of. Digital is free, so hit the button several times with several different composition ideas. Then you can see what worked better and what didn't. It helps you develop your eye for what looks good in a frame.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
              A good way to practice composition is to think about different ways to frame a shot and take a pic of every idea you can think of. Digital is free, so hit the button several times with several different composition ideas. Then you can see what worked better and what didn't. It helps you develop your eye for what looks good in a frame.
              Originally posted by Shane View Post
              The biggest thing to work on here is composition. Not trying to offend at all, just offering critique (so don't take it the wrong way ) It looks like an accidental snapshot of water that happened to have a couple ducks in the background. Also, there isn't much light or color contrast anywhere in the image, so everything looks kinda bland and flat. That's not your fault, as that's all that there was to work with, it looks like. It's pretty tough to end up with a compelling image in that type of setting.

Beyond composition, you're right that the focus isn't sharp. A tripod or monopod or a faster shutter speed might help. It might also be that the camera focused on the water in the center of the frame, so everything else that was behind that point is out of focus. It's hard to tell for sure what the cause of the out of focus issue was. I'm not sure what camera and lens you were using, but it could also be just a lens quality issue.

Here are some articles on composition that will help....

http://www.bocphotography.com/guide-...raphy-20-tips/
              Thanks for the reply and no offense taken... This is what I need to hear

The pic was more of a "try the camera out" type thing than a attemp to capture the particular pic. I was trying to make the ducks the focal point but rushed in an attemp to get them before they bolted... I was not in a very stable position which did not help matters. I will read the articles, thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                Thanks for the reply and no offense taken... This is what I need to hear

The pic was more of a "try the camera out" type thing than a attemp to capture the particular pic. I was trying to make the ducks the focal point but rushed in an attemp to get them before they bolted... I was not in a very stable position which did not help matters. I will read the articles, thanks again.
                The best way to learn your camera and learn composition and everything else is to take a lot of pictures. With digital, you don't have to buy film and pay for processing, so it's free. Shoot a LOT. The more you shoot, the faster you learn.

Comment

Get closer if possible, 150 yards is way too far on that small of a subject, especially with out a tripod. I realize your using a super zoom but it needs a lot of light and will do better if it isn't maxed out. On deer size animals I don't like shooting more than a 100 yards and that's with pro lenses.

Comment

Agree 100% about the composition articles. Another thing I like to do is to look at a lot of photos of things that interest me (wildlife, landscapes etc.) and really think about why the photographer positioned the animals, or the horizon, or whatever the subject is in the portion of the frame that they did. The rule of thirds is huge in this regard. When starting out, I'd follow that rule religiously, and then when you know your camera better, you can start breaking the rule creatively if you want.

Comment

looks pretty darn good for 150 yards

Comment

You can probably crisp it up under the custom settings. You'll just have to experiment with it

Comment

If you want a technical critique, I need more than a 600x800 thumbnail. I need the original image. Composition-wise, I think you're in good hands with Shane. I would definitely have tried to minimize the depth of field in this photo. Some good bokeh on those rocks would make the ducks pop.

Comment

I've been using the Nikon P900 for about year and a half. I was living in S.E. Montana and there is a reason they call it big sky country. Getting close isn't always an option. The zoom on it amazing but it has it's limitations. I am not a professional photographer so take this for what it is-my opinion. First it isn't a 10 thousand dollar lens. But it can take very good photographs even at long distance. It is mostly up to what your expectations are and the conditions. From your picture and the distance I would say you were at about the max for zoom which I think is 800mm. I've had trouble with the focus and what I recently started doing is go to scene, go to close up and push ok. This seems to help. I also shoot a lot on continuous burst. I use a 32g card and have never come close to filling it up. It also takes very good video but if you use the zoom you really need a Good! tripod. Some years back National Geographic did a piece on the project I was working and I had the chance to spend a week or two with the photographer. This is someone who has traveled all over the world and takes thousands of pictures every year. For this shoot I think he took around 1200 pictures (this was film)and in the article they might have used 2-3. I asked one day what he thought it took to be a good photographer and he said most pros are Type A personality and take lots of pictures. I'm not type A but I take lots of pictures. The camera can do things I'll never be able to use. So take lots of pictures and enjoy it. I bought Photographers Guide to the Nikon Coolpix 900. good manual. Hopes this helps.

Comment

I've been using the Nikon P900 for about year and a half. I was living in S.E. Montana and there is a reason they call it big sky country. Getting close isn't always an option. The zoom on it amazing but it has it's limitations. I am not a professional photographer so take this for what it is-my opinion. First it isn't a 10 thousand dollar lens. But it can take very good photographs even at long distance. It is mostly up to what your expectations are and the conditions. From your picture and the distance I would say you were at about the max for zoom which I think is 800mm. I've had trouble with the focus and what I recently started doing is go to scene, go to close up and push ok. This seems to help. I also shoot a lot on continuous burst. I use a 32g card and have never come close to filling it up. It also takes very good video but if you use the zoom you really need a Good! tripod. Some years back National Geographic did a piece on the project I was working and I had the chance to spend a week or two with the photographer. This is someone who has traveled all over the world and takes thousands of pictures every year. For this shoot I think he took around 1200 pictures (this was film)and in the article they might have used 2-3. I asked one day what he thought it took to be a good photographer and he said most pros are Type A personality and take lots of pictures. I'm not type A but I take lots of pictures. The camera can do things I'll never be able to use. So take lots of pictures and enjoy it. I bought Photographers Guide to the Nikon Coolpix 900. good manual. Hopes this helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X