Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional Muzzle loaders

Who else enjoys their muzzle loaders.
    I have always hunted 90% with my recurve but am planning on spending a big portion of this season with a new .69 caliber October country rifle.
    225 grains of 2F should move a 480 grain round ball 1800fps
    Im fired up to use it.
    Should come in today or tomorrow

My October country .54 I have been using
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0207_2.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	25130308

Name:	buffml10.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	25130309

Name:	MLpig.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	25130310

Name:	IMG_0208.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	25130311

Tagged

Comment

a few more
      Attached Files

Comment

I have a 50 cal hawken that I like to hunt with, they are a lot of fun to shoot.

Comment

Good pictures Buff. I've killed dozens of deer with a traditional muzzle loader since I killed my very first deer in 1977 with a .50 cal. Since '89 my primary has been a Lyman Great Plains rifle in .54. The last few years I've hunted some with a scoped Thompson Center Pro-Hunter in .50 cal, but I haven't enjoyed it as much as my traditional muzzle loaders.
          I've posted these pictures before.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Phillip Fields; 10-11-2017, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Love my .54 Renegade, killed a New Mexico elk with it 40 years ago.

Comment

question for you guys...I just became interested in a muzzleloader and thought I would go with an inline but now I am getting more and more interested in going the traditional route.Everyone talking about the inline muzzys says get stainless and break open because they are a booger to clean...what does one look for when looking to get into the traditional market? like I need any more choices haha I had just made up my mind on a inline and now this gets in my head

Comment

I have one I inherited, but have never shot it. I need a lesson.......

Comment

Originally posted by ckamp52 View Post
                  question for you guys...I just became interested in a muzzleloader and thought I would go with an inline but now I am getting more and more interested in going the traditional route.Everyone talking about the inline muzzys says get stainless and break open because they are a booger to clean...what does one look for when looking to get into the traditional market? like I need any more choices haha I had just made up my mind on a inline and now this gets in my head
                  Go with a .50 or .54 in a T/C or Lyman
                  Traditional is more fun but pretty much a 50 yard gun with patched round balls.
                  The inline are not much different than a regular rifle 100 or 150 yards is no problem

It is comparing a recurve to a compound

Comment

If you can find one that.still has a good.barrel a TC Renegade in .54 is a.great choice. Shorter than a traditional hawken and you can throw a big chunk of lead with mini balls.

Comment

I have several but really enjoy my Hopkins and Allen under hammer .50 cal. When the Central Texas Black Powder Assoc. was still going we had monthly matches. Off hand out to 100 meters round ball only. Those were great shoots. and a round ball will kill at 100 yards. If you get started you will get hooked.

Comment

With my Lyman Great Plains Rifle (pictured above) I have taken several deer at 100+ yards shooting a patched round ball. My load is a .530 round ball, patched with .015 pillow ticking lubed with Thompson Bore-Butter, 110 grains FFg black powder, and a CCI #11 percussion cap. I did change the open sight to a peep sight.

If you decide to go traditional decide what bullet you want to use. If patched round ball choose a rifle with a twist rate around 1" in 60". If you want to use a sabot or an elongated bullet opt for a twist around 1" in 28". A lot of modern traditional muzzle loaders were built with 1" in 48" twist which will do a fair job of shooting either patched round ball or elongated bullets.

For deer/pigs I would choose a .50 if I was going to use sabots or elongated bullets. If I was going to use patched round balls I would opt for .54, a .50 will cleanly take deer size game with a round ball but I prefer the extra weight of a .54 (230 grains) round ball over a .50 (175 grains).
                        Last edited by Phillip Fields; 10-11-2017, 06:07 PM.

Comment

thanks for the info guys. Hmmm what to do, what to do. I was planning on making a purchase Friday but now it looks as if I need to do some more research

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                            With my Lyman Great Plains Rifle (pictured above) I have taken several deer at 100+ yards shooting a patched round ball. My load is a .530 round ball, patched with .015 pillow ticking lubed with Thompson Bore-Butter, 110 grains FFg black powder, and a CCI #11 percussion cap. I did change the open sight to a peep sight.

If you decide to go traditional decide what bullet you want to use. If patched round ball choose a rifle with a twist rate around 1" in 60". If you want to use a sabot or an elongated bullet opt for a twist around 1" in 28". A lot of modern traditional muzzle loaders were built with 1" in 48" twist which will do a fair job of shooting either patched round ball or elongated bullets.

For deer/pigs I would choose a .50 if I was going to use sabots or elongated bullets. If I was going to use patched round balls I would opt for .54, a .50 will cleanly take deer size game with a round ball but I prefer the extra weight of a .54 (230 grains) round ball over a .50 (175 grains).
                            This ^
                            He knows what he is talking about.
                            Lyman Great Plains is a great option I had a custom one with a green mountain target rifled barrel and I prefer my Lyman GP. All around great rifle.

Comment

I got these two on a trade for a 30-30 I love shooting the Lyman 54 cal. The hawken I still haven't shot it .[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Working...
                              X