No announcement yet.

Snake bite victims?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been bit by a few. Even had a king snake dump on me. That stinks something fierce. Almost lost my finger to a lizard we had about 5 years ago also. He was a jerk. he would bust out of his cage and chase people. Worse than any snake bit I have ever been the recipient of.
    I do think that a water mocasin is the same thing as a cotton mouth which are venomous.
    They are the same

Comment

I am deathly afraid of snakes and stingrays. Thanks guys. Gonna have bad dreams tonight now....

Comment

was bitten by a copperhead about 3years ago. The hospital I went to wouldnt give me any antivenom due to I didnt bring the snake in with me. It was around sunset when I was bitten and it felt like someone giving me a shot when the snake got me.

Comment

Half a dozen times, (all non venomous) only once when I didn't deserve it and that one was in a dark barn. I was pretty sure that it wasn't poisonous but had to practically empty the dang barn so I could ID the snake. I had just gotten to the farm and didn't want to leave yet unless I had too. It turned out to be a rat snake. The funny part was later that evening, I had pretty much forgotten about it, my 5 year old son who was with me all day had not. After we got home, he went inside and told everybody in the house that daddy had been bitten by a big snake. In a few quick minutes I have the wife, aunts, mother and a grandmother converging on me wanting to know the following:
          1. Do I need to go to the hospital?
          2. Why haven't I went to the hospital?
          and 3. What were you doing that made the snake bite you?

Glad I never told about the other times. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by neowmo View Post
            was bitten by a copperhead about 3years ago. The hospital I went to wouldnt give me any antivenom due to I didnt bring the snake in with me. It was around sunset when I was bitten and it felt like someone giving me a shot when the snake got me.
            Brings up a good point. As stupid as it may sound........Bring the snake with you to the hospital!!

Comment

no luckily i have never have and i'm glad. do not wish that on anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmiccowboy View Post
                I've been lucky. I've literally killed hundreds of rattlers that I saw first. Been hit by two that saw me first. Both times I knew I was taking a chance walking in knee high brush where I couldn't see the ground. Both times they hit me on the jeans/boot top and didn't get connected up to meat. The second time was a little scary. He didn't rattle but I heard his scales rub together as he struck and felt him hit me hard about 6" above the ankle...I standing broad jumped about eight feet and his fangs were tangled in my jean cuffs...that six foot snake came with me as I jumped. I basically shot him off my leg when I landed. He left a big wet spot of venom on my pants leg.
                i have a feeling if it was me, venom wouldn't have been the only thing leaving a "wet" spot on my jeans

Comment

Brings up a good point. As stupid as it may sound........Bring the snake with you to the hospital!!
                  Yep especially a rattle snake as there are sveral varities and th venom type can vary between the varities.

Comment

Originally posted by flufster View Post
                    when i was a kid i used to catch what we called "coach whips" but they were actually a type of racer, any how they were known to have bad attitudes and my mom told me i couldnt keep any more of them so i stashed one in a homemade box out at the back of our property....well one day i went to show it to a buddy and it got out....in the process of getting it back in the box, it struck and hit one fang on my finger and one on my thumb....to us kids, the only snake to have fangs was a rattlesnake (kinda like most TBH'ers think all snakes are rattlesnakes) so all my friends wanted me to call my parents so they could get me to the ER...well i weighed the options and it was either face my mothers wrath for not letting the snake go or falling over dead from a rattlesnake bite so i chose death......i just remember sitting on the steps of our front porch with about 5 of my friends staring at me to see if i died...lol.....i dont guess mom ever found out about me keeping the snake

now that is funny!! that is a boy who knew better, bet you turned out all right.

Comment

ummm nope

Comment

I have always been fascinated by snakes and handled several of them that crossed my path. I don't handle the poisonous ones as a rule, but I made one exception.

I had a small fenced back yard at a house in Jasper, TX. I would let my dogs go out to do their business and they usually chased squirrels and sniffed around out there. For about a week I noticed they would hop off the porch, take care of business, and be back at the door. The dogs were small and there was about 75 acres of swampland and timber that backed up to the house. After I let the dogs in I stood at the door looking at a feeder out back when some movement caught my eye. There was a 6 foot timber rattler coming up the steps where my dogs had been just minutes before. I know they were protected, so I got a big storage tote and just grabbed the snake by the tail and put him in. He was very docile and I had no problems relocating him to the Angelina National Forest a few miles down the road.

My only other bad experience was with a small chicken snake with an attitude. I was with my brother that is scared of all snakes. I was in the process of explaining to him that these snakes were pretty docile and help us by eliminating vermin when he tagged me. Point made!

Originally posted by Luddeke View Post
                        I am deathly afraid of snakes and stingrays. Thanks guys. Gonna have bad dreams tonight now....
                        I did an internship in Galveston one summer studying squid. We had to do nighttime seines at several locations around the island. One night we netted a small stingray(maybe 6-8inches diameter) and his barb became tangled in the net. This was pretty common and while I was trying to free him I sliced my thumb on the side of the barb. That was the worst pain I have experienced to date! I was tempted to kill him, but I took my share of the blame and released him unharmed. My hand swelled and became kinda numb. When I got back to the lab I called the ER and they said just run really hot water over it to help work the venom out. All of this from what amounted to a paper cut! I can't imagine being struck by one that drove the spine into my leg. I always shuffle my feet while wade fishing now!

Comment

I normally don't kill rattlers unless they hang out close to camp, otherwise I ain't seen one so big I can't just go around him.

Comment

yeah I forgot about the crutches... 2 weeks on them bad boys... the worst is that they cut a "S" shape into my toe maybe an 1" wide and ripped all the dead meat and nerves out, then they leave that open and they have to clean it twice a day..... I'm talking about ripping off the scap twice a day on a now half inch open wound.

Comment

I got bit by this niceun while turkey hunting in 1986 er so. I got a mostly "dry bite", but threw up twice ennyways....

Comment

Working...
                              X