Deer stand plywood not lasting a year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys, unfortunately, smart siding, hardie, or anything over 3/8” ply is just too heavy for how these stands work, so I will have to look into this further.

If your having to replace them every year wouldn't the extra effort to use 1/2 that will last for years be worth the initial headache?

Comment

Most 1/4” is not rated for outside use. Go with a 1/2” siding like T111 or a treated product. If you plan on painting the treated your going to need to let the treated dry for a long time in the sun first.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
        We use 3/8” marine grade plywood on ours. We have a sign shop in town that sells it used for $8.00 a 4x8 sheet. It lasts forever.

We set this one up this weekend. Still needs paint.
        That's a steal!

Comment

Really odd for sure. I have 4 stands skinned with 9/32' regular plywood built in 2008 and 2009 and all four are still going strong. We repaint with semi-gloss exterior paint every 4 years. None of them are showing any signs of rotting or going bad. Of course we are dryer than you are but still we have been getting a lot of rain the last 4 years. One year is **** poor and Behr is a quality paint.

Comment

Hey there, the lumber just can't handle the sun exposure and humidity. Time for something else. I saw here on TBH a few months ago, a blind being build from the ground up. What he did may be your solution, and save you time and money over the long haul. He built a metal frame, plywood exterior, insulated the interior and added plywood. Then added sheet metal to the exterior on top of the plywood. That will last forever anywhere. If you searched the Green Screen, you may be able to find the member if you are interested in sheet metal he used.

Comment

Originally posted by SaintBlaise View Post
              Hey there, the lumber just can't handle the sun exposure and humidity. Time for something else. I saw here on TBH a few months ago, a blind being build from the ground up. What he did may be your solution, and save you time and money over the long haul. He built a metal frame, plywood exterior, insulated the interior and added plywood. Then added sheet metal to the exterior on top of the plywood. That will last forever anywhere. If you searched the Green Screen, you may be able to find the member if you are interested in sheet metal he used.

The plywood exterior is what seems to be giving him the problem.. sound like it could mold behind the sheet metal.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I will try to remember to pos5 up what is decided.

Comment

Use the smart board plywood. Be sure to caulk and paint all the ends and it will last for years.

Comment

I'd prime using Kilz:

KILZ® ORIGINAL Primer is a powerful stainblocking formula that blocks most heavy interior stains including water, smoke, tannin, ink, pencil, felt marker, grease, and also seals pet, food and smoke odors.

I'd put several coats of Kilz down first, and then paint with a high gloss exterior grade paint. Finally, I'd use the plastic (or aluminum) channel that Flywise referred to over the edges to seal them.

Good luck,

Dave

Comment

I use cedar boards and no paint. The four corner posts are cedars that I cut and the floor is treated 2&6 pine. No issues.

Comment

I know you want to go as light as possible, and think the SmartSide is too heavy, but it's actually relatively light compared to regular plywood, and only 3/8" thick.

Comment

Originally posted by Abctx View Post
                          I know you want to go as light as possible, and think the SmartSide is too heavy, but it's actually relatively light compared to regular plywood, and only 3/8" thick.
                          This. If you think LP Smart Side is too heavy then you haven't picked up a piece

Slap some Smart Side on and be done. Think of all the money you'll save on paint over the years

Comment

I would use tin for the exterior and insulation board on the inside.

Comment

If it needs to be very light use Coroplast. Get the outdoor rated stuff and it will last MANY years. Lightly sand it and paint with Krylon fusion paint.

I have some stands going on 10 years made from it.

Comment

Camo R-Panel
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X