Feeder pen for exotics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeder pen for exotics?

We put a few cows on our place and Im tired of them wiping out my protein feeders and tearing them up. Thinking about welding up a 2 rail pipe feeder pen and was wondering what heights would be good for the rails. I want the exotics to be able to go under the rails but keep the cows out... we have axis fallow bb and stags. Any thoughts? Thanks!

In for suggestions too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Most Axis and Fallow will jump normal field fence (they do at my place anyway) not sure on the BB

Comment

Originally posted by blntrey3 View Post
        Most Axis and Fallow will jump normal field fence (they do at my place anyway) not sure on the BB
        Our Blackbucks do not jump the feeder pens

Comment

Red deer will jump as well. Our bb prefer to go under the fence. Cut out a few holes for them by leaving the top connected .

Comment

I hunted a ranch last December that had the problem solved. They had permanent pipe fences built for feed pens. They left a couple of gaps that were about 12-15" wide in the pens. That allowed blackbuck and other critters to just walk in, but the gaps are too small for cattle to walk through. I saw deer using the gaps as well as just jumping the fence into the pen.

You could do the same thing with t-posts and hog panels or whatever. I'd make sure and put the gaps in good shooting lanes.

Comment

Thanks for the info and tips guys! Will def be doing a permanent pipe pen just trying to figure out how high to put my rails. I have seen our red deer jump a 5ft fence but havent seen any of the axis or fallow jump it. Might just do a single rail to save a little cash. Yall think 4ft would be ok? Allowing some to jump and some to go under?

Comment

Don't worry about # of rails or rail height, just leave a 20" gap between the corner posts...calves will still get in, but cows won't...some folks call these fawn gaps
                Last edited by RodinaRanč; 06-15-2017, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X