Double down users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
    The setup pays for itself quickly if you have the volume.

I realized the potential savings a few years ago and got set up this year. I'm in the hole now but soon this investment will save me $$$ on feed costs.
    My acrage allows about 8 protein feeders and numbers aren't real high so it would take quite a while to pay off for me. I've run numbers to try to justify it before

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
      My acrage allows about 8 protein feeders and numbers aren't real high so it would take quite a while to pay off for me. I've run numbers to try to justify it before
      how many tons of protein do you go thru a year?
      how many tons of corn do you go thru a year?
      what are you paying per bag per protein and corn?

we got a 30 ton with divider (ballpark $8500) and we have 7 feed stations on 850 acres. We do not have a feed buggy just a lil out of our budget with only 7 protein and 7 corn feeders to fill but we prefabbed a quik attach bin that goes on front of our tractor and raise it over the feeders and it pours the feed in there real quick. There was a significant drop in price once we went bulk from bagged.
      Last edited by BIG BONE; 05-23-2017, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
        All feeds are cheaper in bulk!!!!

Thats Cute....

Comment

Originally posted by FCTrapper View Post
          Thats Cute....

I'm sure your boss has better. [emoji6]

Comment

There is a lot to factor in when buying bulk vs bagged. Like Peyton stated if you have the volume it can be beneficial. Freshness is the key for me. Years ago the difference in bagged vs bulk at the mill was $25/ton(cost of bagging). In the 90's you could buy a GSI bin and pay for it in one year if you used 5 tons of feed or corn per month. The convenience of feed on hand was even more valuable. Today that cost vs savings is much more varied. The cost differential between bulk and bagged is about the same at the mill or store, the big difference is going to be in quantity and distance from the mill or feed store your ranch or lease is. The freight becomes the big issue today. Example is if you are getting 3 tons of bagged deliver 50 miles vs a 5 ton minimum delivered and the being delivery on the truck at the distance. If it is a full bag load with multiple stops to share the freight it might be cheaper. If it is a full/shared load on a bobtail vs a semi load of bulk it will be a huge difference in freight to you if you are the only stop. The final thing is the size of the feed store or company you are buying from is a factor in pricing and delivery rate/schedule. A smaller company with less volume and manpower vs a large company with more volume and manpower. The ingredients cost the companies making the pellets the same, the freight to get those ingredients to them cost more depending on distance from the place they are grown. Your quantity you use and your location from the store is going to effect the delivered cost. Most companies have a 5-6 ton minimum for bulk. IME people who switch to bulk use more feed than they did when it was brought in bag quantities.

Comment

Great set up Peyton.Jealous. We can't get bulk in Mexico even though we feed over 300 tons/year. So we have 2 Mexican s who spend most of their time filling feeders. Thats how you do it on the poor side of the tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                Great set up Peyton.Jealous. We can't get bulk in Mexico even though we feed over 300 tons/year. So we have 2 Mexican s who spend most of their time filling feeders. Thats how you do it on the poor side of the tracks.
                wow, that is some serious tonnage

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                  I was pretty much the first to start feeding DD on our lease and the first year I fed it, had a deer eat at my feeder all year long that set the ranch record widest deer killed at 30 inches. Coincidence? Luck? Not for sure, bet I'm still feeding it. Same price as other high end feeds also, so why not.
                  Thanks for the input. And that's what my thoughts are exactly. Same price then y not feed it. I mean hell its worth a try. Plus as long as the deer are tearing it up and at your feeder then I'd say it's worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG BONE View Post
                    how many tons of protein do you go thru a year?
                    how many tons of corn do you go thru a year?
                    what are you paying per bag per protein and corn?

we got a 30 ton with divider (ballpark $8500) and we have 7 feed stations on 850 acres. We do not have a feed buggy just a lil out of our budget with only 7 protein and 7 corn feeders to fill but we prefabbed a quik attach bin that goes on front of our tractor and raise it over the feeders and it pours the feed in there real quick. There was a significant drop in price once we went bulk from bagged.
                    Probably feed about 15tons protein max and not a whole lot of corn. Protein is $8.70 and can't remember off the top of my head what corn is

I also live close to the mill so I can buy 3.5 tons and use their feed trailer for free BUT have to schedule it and sometimes that doesn't work out well with others in line, and Mother Nature can ruin getting that heavy trailer in to areas if the rain falls just wrong after you've already got you day to use the trailer
                    Last edited by bphillips; 05-23-2017, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Started feeding protein for the first time on our ranch in South Texas and decided to give DD a shot. I guess the deer haven't quite figured out the feeder yet. Several pictures of deer walking around, but none eating out of the feeder.

Comment

Originally posted by stxhunter View Post
                        Started feeding protein for the first time on our ranch in South Texas and decided to give DD a shot. I guess the deer haven't quite figured out the feeder yet. Several pictures of deer walking around, but none eating out of the feeder.
                        Put some corn on the ground and into the tubes to get them started.

I always prefer mixing the bottom 150-200 lbs 50/50 but if you did not, then do the above

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                          Put some corn on the ground and into the tubes to get them started.

I always prefer mixing the bottom 150-200 lbs 50/50 but if you did not, then do the above
                          Added corn in the tubes and on the ground the first time around. When I went back a couple weeks ago did the same thing. Hopefully they take to it soon.

Comment

Originally posted by stxhunter View Post
                            Added corn in the tubes and on the ground the first time around. When I went back a couple weeks ago did the same thing. Hopefully they take to it soon.
                            stxhunter Whereabouts in Duval are you located? I just got on lease down in the Realitos area. Trying out DD but the hogs have kept the deer from getting to it. Still trying to figure the area out and deer populations. Still not sure what to expect.

Comment

I believe the fiber is only about half of the other protein brands so they probably don't feel full as fast. And as far as switching brands I believe if you switch to a brand that adds probiotics to their mix to aid in initial digestion you'll be fine

Comment

Originally posted by mjhunter82 View Post
                                stxhunter Whereabouts in Duval are you located? I just got on lease down in the Realitos area. Trying out DD but the hogs have kept the deer from getting to it. Still trying to figure the area out and deer populations. Still not sure what to expect.
                                I'm south of Benavides off 339, just North of Concepcion/716. I'm currently hunting on our family ranch, but have leased a couple of places in the area in the past. Hunting can be really hit or miss depending on where you're at and what your neighbors are like.

Comment

Working...
                                X