Starting a small food plot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting a small food plot

I just got some land to hunt just south of Alvin. I am wanting to make a small food plot on it next spring (85 yards x 15 yards). I own no equipment so i will probably have to rent some. What all do i need? Tractor, disk, sprayer, some sort of drag?

I plan on doing soil tests and then lime if need be. Is a plot this size even worth it? there are deer on the property and there are pigs, We are surrounded by rice fields and some soybean. Also if anyone is doing food plots in the are what seems to grow well and work well for the deer?

Thats going to be about 1/4 acre. Depending on deer density and hog density a plot that small will be fairly easy to wipe out. If you have a density of either it won't be worth it. just my thoughts.

Comment

I agree with the others. Any hogs in the area? How about cattle? I hunt down in the Arcola/Manvel area as well.

Comment

from the sign there appears to be a fair number of pigs but not too many deer. I was planning on doing a hog panel fence. and no cattle

Comment

anyone else???

Comment

If you have small deer density and can fence the hogs out then you may have a shot.

Comment

any recommendations on the equipment I'll need or did i cover it pretty well in my first post? What should i be planting and what densities or does that all depend on the plant? Does anyone in the areas have any experience with plots? If nothing else i can contact The local seed places and see if they have any suggestions, i just don't really have any confidence in the pre-bagged stuff

Comment

If you can find someone with a tiller, that's the best/easiest way to break up new ground. Possibly rent a tractor with one. I would think that would be black land dirt down in that area, so should be pretty fertile. And if there's a lot of other ag around, that will help you out with deer having other options and not wiping you out.

As far as what to plant, it's up to you. If you're going to lime and fertilize as needed, you should be able to get most whatever you want established as long as you have the right amount of moisture. Most spring/summer mixes consist of beans/peas (soybeans, iron clay cowpeas, lablab) and cover crops like sunflowers, sorghum and sunn hemp. There are plenty of other options to throw in but these put out a lot of tonnage and provide bedding area as well (and are readily available through a local feed store).

Comment

would these be spring summer plants or do some of these translate in to fall/winter plots.

I've never done any plots so i'm trying to absorb as much information as possible here and from several YouTube channels

I really appreciate all the information

Comment

Originally posted by tward1604 View Post
                    would these be spring summer plants or do some of these translate in to fall/winter plots.

I've never done any plots so i'm trying to absorb as much information as possible here and from several YouTube channels

I really appreciate all the information
                    Typically no. Fall and spring plots are two different planting for two different seasons.

Comment

Right, I guess i didn't state my question very well. I was asking if all of the plants listed above were spring or if some of them were winter. This will be a long year waiting to get these plots going as we are waiting to get a better idea as to what is on the property before we put anything in.

Comment

This will give you an idea of your cool season and warm season seeds.

Comment

SO they have all the soybeans and rice they can eat... you have to offer them something else.

Clover, Lab-Lab, Milo in the Spring... Oats, Wheat, radishes and turnips in the fall.

I hunt soybean and wheat fields in NE Arkansas... your going to get limited traffic during the off season, but once things die off or go dormant, your food plot becomes a small hot spot.

You might be better served with creating a mineral lick, and offering protein...

Just my .02

Comment

I've just never had any luck with minerals, Which means i'm probably missing something there. And my budget doesn't allow to feed protein year round unfortunately. Plus i've always wanted to do some plots. I'll be looking in to your plant recommendations and maybe some sunflower added in, i know they love that out around abilene. Do you have to do ph tests every planting and re lime then too or just once type thing?

Comment

Working...
                            X