No announcement yet.

This elk taste like *#%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have killed 5 elk, 4 in Montana and one on Texas, the Texas one was the best tasting of the 5, but it was killed pre rut in an alfalfa field.

The first bull I killed was in Montana post rut and if I had never had elk before and judged it from that old bull I would have never killed another. I would up making it into sausage and jerky to consume most of it. Dog got lots of elk treats as well. That old bull during rut had 40-50 cows so lets say he left his seed on the mountain and fought a lot to keep that many cows so was rutted down bad when I killed him so I chalk up his taste to that, he was not that tasty. I would not expect a spike to have the same issues though.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
      This is same as Hudson in Austin it also seems like it has lots of sinue ground into it
      I learned this lesson last year. Don't take your meat to Klien's in Boerne. We ate maybe 2lbs of meat since last season and I have a freezer full of meat I need to throw away.

Comment

I’ve killed two bull elk. One was better than the other but neither were as good as a whitetail. Not sure what’s was wrong with them....

Comment

Originally posted by BonesandArrow View Post
          I learned this lesson last year. Don't take your meat to Klien's in Boerne. We ate maybe 2lbs of meat since last season and I have a freezer full of meat I need to throw away.
          Yep I switched to Cowcreeke in boerne over off 1376 ,
          If no one eats this elk soon I will be making a run to the San Antonio food bank

Comment

Schott's off Bandera Road a couple miles from Hwy 46. I have been using them for 12 years and never have had a problem.

Comment

The elk meat I’ve had has varied greatly. Some of it was very flavorful and tender, some just average, and at times I’ve had really sub par meat that was like chewing on a stirrup.

Skinny

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
                Diet plain and simple. Probably eating all those cedar berries, that will turn a WT nasty as well.
                We have been wondering that. I have now killed two mule deer up in the panhandle, in that area, is seems the deer really only have grass to feed on. No cedar or very few cedar. Those two deer have had no gamey flavor to them. I have thought for years, that acorns and cedar are two things that are likely making the deer I have shot in the hill country and other areas, taste so gamey.

Comment

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but shot a sika buck a few weekends ago. How do they taste?

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                    We have been wondering that. I have now killed two mule deer up in the panhandle, in that area, is seems the deer really only have grass to feed on. No cedar or very few cedar. Those two deer have had no gamey flavor to them. I have thought for years, that acorns and cedar are two things that are likely making the deer I have shot in the hill country and other areas, taste so gamey.
                    Not acorns. Been hunting the Post Oak Savannah eco region for a few years now and that is the main diet there. Hogs and Venison have no gamey taste at all and is the best game meat I have ever had.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
                      How do you turn elk into ground beef?
                      Whatever you know what I mean

Comment

Originally posted by tbeak View Post
                        Whatever you know what I mean
                        I've been trying to turn axis into wagyu all morning...

Comment

Originally posted by BonesandArrow View Post
                          What happened with Klein's I've been using them for a few years and have only had 1 small issue

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                            Something with handling/. Got to get them opened up and skinned fast. They will sour/spoil faster than whitetail. I've had elk from Texas. Shot it when cold. Shot 2 cows in neck. Both were gutted and opens up within minutes.
                            100% this.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                              That's what I'm thinking. He probably got some kind of ram or something.
                              Originally posted by slicktree View Post
                              What happened with Klein's I've been using them for a few years and have only had 1 small issue
                              The place is great. What Happened?

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                                This is same as Hudson in Austin it also seems like it has lots of sinue ground into it
                                Trying to avoid any drama here, so let me just say that Hudson's is the reason why I process my own deer now.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X