Antler Restriction Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
    Me too. I've got a buck I've been after for 2 seasons now that won't score worth squat- and he's ugly as hell- but I swear he must've come over on the land bridge during the last ice age. I wanna get him just for that reason.
    If you get him please send me a pic.
    I love an old, gnarly buck. There is one coming through every few days on my property now that is probably 5. He fought so much the past two years he broke off points last year and half a main beam the year before. This year he showed up one night looking fit and healthy. Then the next he was missing an eye! The dude is a scrapper. I hope he makes it to next season. He'll be my target buck ALL season even though there are much "better" bucks that come through.

Comment

sorry but most of your deer including older deer are less then 13 inches is not true. Never ever seen a place with only narrow under 13 inch bucks. Sorry

Now 1-2 bucks ok. I have 1 and his offspring every year.

I would love to see pics of ALL of the bucks you have on camera

Comment

Originally posted by SAC View Post
        Ask anyone in the original 6 counties if AR has worked. Even the hardest headed Bohemians have seen the light.
        Originally posted by tl1197 View Post
        Quality and quantity are both benefits of AR. I've seen great results where I hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        x2!!!!

20 years ago people were pumped about 110 inch deer. Now 130-150's are being shot regularly every year

Comment

We took a 141 and 158 off our place this year in fayette county. Before the AR that wouldve never happend! We are part of the 6 original counties and its the best thing that has ever happened in our area. Ya some bucks need to be shot but you cant due to the AR and thats the way it is. No matter what we do their will always be deer that get by.

Comment

I have a feeling that once the refs have been in place 20-30 years, and people get used to more mature bucks, the AR’s will be lifted. Or, even better..... the AR’s will have allowed such a large portion of the population to reach a decent age that the 13” rule won’t really matter because people will know the bigger ones are out there.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
              I have a feeling that once the refs have been in place 20-30 years, and people get used to more mature bucks, the AR’s will be lifted. Or, even better..... the AR’s will have allowed such a large portion of the population to reach a decent age that the 13” rule won’t really matter because people will know the bigger ones are out there.

No, some people will always be the kind to shoot whatever walks out. The restrictions will always need to be there to protect the yearlings.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruttin&Struttin View Post
                If you get him please send me a pic.
                I love an old, gnarly buck. There is one coming through every few days on my property now that is probably 5. He fought so much the past two years he broke off points last year and half a main beam the year before. This year he showed up one night looking fit and healthy. Then the next he was missing an eye! The dude is a scrapper. I hope he makes it to next season. He'll be my target buck ALL season even though there are much "better" bucks that come through.
                I haven't ever even seen him, but here is on the hoof.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	24522929

Comment

|your perpetuating the genetics you dont want and killing off the genetics that you do want.....IMO

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                    The biggest problem with ar is you are harvesting your best deer with the best genetics and the letting the poor genetics deer survive breed and pass on more and more poor genetics. Let's say I have 100 head of cattle and 1 stud bull that sires the best calves every year and 3 other bulls that sire inferior calves every year. I need to make hamburger to feed my family so I am going to kill my stud bull and let the 3 other inferior bulls keep producing inferior calves. The same thing is happening to deer with only the best deer being harvested. there needs to be a way to harvest the inferior cull bucks without using your only buck tag.
                    A lot of AR counties were one buck counties before. So They still would either wait for the big buck or shoot the first one.

Comment

I hunted a lease last year. First and only year on the place.

One morning me and my buddy were talking to another guy about what we saw. He said he saw a young deer. 5 point and regretted not shooting him.

That’s the type of guy the AR is meant for.

I also know others who shoot the first thing with horns to step out in front of them.

Comment

Originally posted by SAC View Post
                        Ask anyone in the original 6 counties if AR has worked. Even the hardest headed Bohemians have seen the light.
                        Yes sir

Comment

Working...
                        X