box blind for bowhunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

box blind for bowhunting

I am gonna build me a box blind for bow & rifle hunting. The ones at the property now are a bit too tight for a bow.

Im thinking 4X4 . if you have built a 4x4 ,,, would you build it bigger? or is the size good??

Thanks , you folks are great! Its great to be able to ask questions & get info, without getting berated for not knowing these things at my age. and yall just help ,, thanks

I would go with a 6' x 6' with the windows being tall and narrow.

Make the windows narrow and tall with the hing on the bottom.

Comment

i would go with a 6x6x6, like the one in my avatar. so much space and comfort...it is bolted so it's easy to install and unistall easy to build.....

Comment

6x6 as well, 4x4 is not big enough to draw a bow in.

Comment

4X4 is too small for a bow.
          I built some that were 5X6 and 6 foot tall and they worked great.
          A 6X6, 6 foot tall won't increase the cost by much and is very roomy.

Comment

6X6 is the way to go.

Mine is 5X5 and is just big enough. I have to shoot from the middle of the blind on my knees. If I'm in a chair the top of my bow will hit the roof.

Comment

Yup. 6X6X6.5 for mine. I love it and put 48" vertical , hinged windows in it. I hunted ut of it Saturday morning when it was freezing outside. Very nice.

Comment

Depth is the more important dimension than width, IMO. I like to be able to sit so far back it's like flinging an arrow across a big room then out the window. Sitting farther back from the windows makes you less likely to get busted by movement too. Use the search function for the DIY forum - search the word "blind" and you will see many great designs that have been posted.

Comment

Mine is a 5X5 octagon and it fits pretty good...if I had it to do over again, I probably would've made it 6X6

Comment

Here's a shot of the front of one of mine I built, 6X5X6, floor entry. Next one will have a 3 sided Bay style front with 3 taller, narrower windows. I love this one ( 4 yr. old in this pic )
                    Attached Files

Comment

I would go 6x6x6 with tall narrow windows if it is on legs but on the ground the normal size will work

Comment

Echoing the sentiment above about 4x4 is not even close for drawing a bow.....

I have a 5x5 and it can be too small as well. My 6x6 is perfect......
                        Attached Files

Comment

I made mine 6x6 and 7 feet tall. I used 2x3s and 1/4" OSB. I have the details in Google Sketchup if you want them. Turned out quite well and I am very pleased with it. Take it to the lease in panels in the back (on the back) of the pickup, and then lag bolt it together in the field with a socket and a hammer.

Large windows for shooting a bow shooting. Covered them with mesh. PM me if you're interested in the detail drawings.
                          Last edited by TX_Kevin; 12-07-2009, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X