Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things turning bad at work. Need advise. Go out on my own? Suck it up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things turning bad at work. Need advise. Go out on my own? Suck it up?

Things are turning real bad at work and Im not sure what to do. I have been working for an oil tool company for 9 1/2yrs. I started there as a machinist, then programming while running a machine and then within about 6 months added supervisor duties while running a machine and programming ( I have been a machinist/programmer/leadman etc since 1993 ). I moved up financially and the company treated me well. There were definitely some tough times, including when the Deepwater Horizon burned and the layed off all the cnc guys except me. During this time I had a boss above me that was over the entire machine shop. Without getting too detailed, he is very favored by the owner of the company.

Approx 2yrs ago they split the machine shop and put me as manager of the CNC Dept and the other guy ( the one that was over the entire machine shop previously ) Around the beginning of the year they put me over the entire machine shop but left the other guy as a manager, though he was not over anything. ( the owners favored guy ) We weathered the oil crash very well until April of last year. We layed off a couple of guys but things started picking up this summer and we hired a few.

Then the owner sold his flagship product line in July. It was the money maker, a rental.tool that had a high margins. Now we are left with a very good product line, but one that has a low margin, with high costs to make.

I can divulge too much but things are not looking good. We layed off 2 more guys this week and now I got a 15% paycut ( supposedly all salary got the cut ) and then was put on hourly. Too many chiefs and not enough indians. The operations manager asked me, the other ( favored ) manager and the QC manager what we want to do regarding who is in charge now. Every just sat there. Nobody willing to give up "power". They expect me to run a machine, program and run the shop. So I told him I cannot effectively do it all, (while the favored guy keeps his same minimal duties). So I told him I would just run a machine and program. The other two guys duties will not change.

So now, I will admit I am quite irritated I am back on a machine. Quite irritated that I have to compete with a guy that has the owners unwavering favor, and that no matter what happens, no matter what I do, my default duty is back where I was 10yrs ago.

Now I am looking for options. I do have a few options that I am exploring. Next post will explore these.

In 2013 I bought a CNC Mill ( VMC ) and started running jobs on the side. Made some decent money even though it was just part time. For a while after the oil.crash business stayed relatively steady. But this past year was super slow.

Slow business and having to pick up insurance costs at work has lead to.my wife having to work for the first time in our marriage ( part time, minimum wage )

Finally things have started picking up again for my business in mid December while things are getting worse at work. But who knows how long the work.will last? I am entertaining the possibility of quitting my job and going full time for my shop ( though I may very well get layed off first ). I am thinking that if I go full.time I will be able to.find more work. Some companies dont seem to like the idea of me being part time, though I am NEVER late delivering parts.

But quite frankly, I am scared. I have a wife and 4 kids. I already feel bad enough that she has to work now, if I go full time and go broke I will be devastated. Not because of myself, but for them.

Comment

Well, I live by this rule. Only you determine what kind of day you have. Being disgruntled will eat you up! Never quit a job until you have another one.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
        Things are turning real bad at work and Im not sure what to do. I have been working for an oil tool company for 9 1/2yrs. I started there as a machinist, then programming while running a machine and then within about 6 months added supervisor duties while running a machine and programming ( I have been a machinist/programmer/leadman etc since 1993 ). I moved up financially and the company treated me well. There were definitely some tough times, including when the Deepwater Horizon burned and the layed off all the cnc guys except me. During this time I had a boss above me that was over the entire machine shop. Without getting too detailed, he is very favored by the owner of the company.

Approx 2yrs ago they split the machine shop and put me as manager of the CNC Dept and the other guy ( the one that was over the entire machine shop previously ) Around the beginning of the year they put me over the entire machine shop but left the other guy as a manager, though he was not over anything. ( the owners favored guy ) We weathered the oil crash very well until April of last year. We layed off a couple of guys but things started picking up this summer and we hired a few.

Then the owner sold his flagship product line in July. It was the money maker, a rental.tool that had a high margins. Now we are left with a very good product line, but one that has a low margin, with high costs to make.

I can divulge too much but things are not looking good. We layed off 2 more guys this week and now I got a 15% paycut ( supposedly all salary got the cut ) and then was put on hourly. Too many chiefs and not enough indians. The operations manager asked me, the other ( favored ) manager and the QC manager what we want to do regarding who is in charge now. Every just sat there. Nobody willing to give up "power". They expect me to run a machine, program and run the shop. So I told him I cannot effectively do it all, (while the favored guy keeps his same minimal duties). So I told him I would just run a machine and program. The other two guys duties will not change.

So now, I will admit I am quite irritated I am back on a machine. Quite irritated that I have to compete with a guy that has the owners unwavering favor, and that no matter what happens, no matter what I do, my default duty is back where I was 10yrs ago.

Now I am looking for options. I do have a few options that I am exploring. Next post will explore these.
        I would start with having a clear and open conversation about where the company is, where its going and why. I would not have that conversation with one person but with everyone in leadership position including ownership.

I would look at it with the perspective of what can I do. How can I help and what can we as a team do to get through this hard time.

The idea of ownership having a manager that he likes the best can't be your focus. Its an uncontrollable and you need to focus on what you can do. Strong leader can lead from any position in the company. It's time for you to lead up the chain for you, your family and the company that you have invested so much time in.

Comment

cant really help with the job versus own business decision but prayers up for your family.

Comment

Career advise

Originally posted by BBBGP View Post
            I would start with having a clear and open conversation about where the company is, where its going and why. I would not have that conversation with one person but with everyone in leadership position including ownership.

I would look at it with the perspective of what can I do. How can I help and what can we as a team do to get through this hard time.

The idea of ownership having a manager that he likes the best can't be your focus. Its an uncontrollable and you need to focus on what you can do. Strong leader can lead from any position in the company. It's time for you to lead up the chain for you, your family and the company that you have invested so much time in.
            I was just reading the post but got some really good inspiration from these words. THANKS!

Comment

This is what I see
              The owner favors the guy but really has no faith in him or you would have never moved up to start with. The owner , ( if he is smart ) , would not want to lose you as he has already recognized your talent.
              Have a conversation and just ask them what value you bring to the table and if they have plans for you. Hopefully the economics will improve for you.
              There is two kind of leaders.
              Those who are installed there and those who rose there on their own merit. You know what category you are in.

Comment

I do not know anything about your job etc. Sounds like you can stay on and if NEEDED by all means venture out. Squeeze what you can out of them.

If it bounces back your still in if it doesn't and your cut you have the option to be your own boss. Best of luck

Comment

I would ride it out for now, while pushing hard on the side work. Days are getting longer, save all you can. If you do get laid off, look at prior weeks/months profit margins on the side machining, and re-evaluate going full time then. Tax deductions for business owners are great, especially a sole proprietor/ or small llc.

Comment

I would suck it up and stay where you are.......until I hustled enough jobs for your sideline business. Then go for it! Sure it's scary. But hunger and several mouths to feed are a great motivating factor. You have a great skill set that will always be in demand.

Comment

THIS ( all the above responses ) is why I posted this here. Excellent, thoughful ideas/answers. I sincerely thank yall.

Comment

Hate to hear this Bud. For some reason I thought you were a partner in that shop.

Comment

The best cure for red azz is trail dust!
                          The way I see it, they have no loyalty to you at at. I'd find another company and never look back. I've worked in the oil / chem construction and maintenance industry since the late 80's....so thats just how I'm geared.

Comment

I can't say what is right for you in this situation, but have been in similar stressful situations.

I agree with the previous poster that you can't let your focus be on the favored manager, but on yourself and what you can do to help yourself and the company. I was given the advice to always enter situations well and leave them well. So I would suggest not doing anything rash, but be open and honest with your employers about your concerns and hopefully they will be honest with you. Perhaps you work through the rough spot at work and things pick back up, or they may shut down even further and they may become one of your first customers in your own shop.

I am praying for a positive outcome for you and your family.

Comment

I would start putting out feelers for a new job while keeping a close eye on where things are going at your current position. Having a solid offer somewhere else will make the decision making much easier and a lot less stressful.

As for your side business, if larger, well established operations are struggling, a small operation with shallow reserves will struggle even more with the added stress of having not having a cushion to fall back on during slow periods. The time to jump ship and go from a part time side business to full time is when you get to the point of having long term contracts that exceed your part time production capacity for the foreseeable future.

Comment

Working...
                              X