My Wild Kitchen - New Post - A Non-Cajun's Review of Jarred Roux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Wild Kitchen - New Post - A Non-Cajun's Review of Jarred Roux

I'm about to start a controversial thread, I can tell, but this is my experience with store-bought roux. I apologize in advance for not being purist. And if anyone wants to come show me the ways of perfect roux every time from scratch I'd be a very eager student.

Click image for larger version

Name:	29 Wild Sausage Gumbo 420.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	25108833

Shoot I started using Kary's long ago. I know plenty of cajuns that use it or Dougets as well. Taking an hour to cook flour is silly when you can buy it already cooked for a few dollars

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybo31 View Post
      Shoot I started using Kary's long ago. I know plenty of cajuns that use it or Dougets as well. Taking an hour to cook flour is silly when you can buy it already cooked for a few dollars
      100% agree. Use either one of these

Comment

I started a thread on the Campfire awhile back about pre made roux. Apparently there are many Cajuns that use it. Don't fret.

Comment

I'm pretty good at making roux, but I don't mind buying Kary's .

Comment

It looks great to me. I love gumbo, but I never tried to make it before.

Comment

I use karys.

Comment

Originally posted by Coachs Wife View Post
                I'm about to start a controversial thread, I can tell, but this is my experience with store-bought roux. I apologize in advance for not being purist. And if anyone wants to come show me the ways of perfect roux every time from scratch I'd be a very eager student.
                I approve sista ; the only thing I would have done differently is brown the meat and cook down the onions, garlic, bell pepper until translucent. You're missing out on a lot of flavor by not doing this.

send me an email and I'll fwd you my gumbo recipe

blake (at) raginblaze (dot) com ; remove spaces and ( )

Originally posted by Ron View Post
                It looks great to me. I love gumbo, but I never tried to make it before.
                Ron, send me an email - see above

Comment

I wondered about that too. But for my first go around I dumped the instructions on the jar. So, same pot, saute and then add water and roux? Or saute in a separate skillet? Or does it matter? I would worry about getting any clumps out if it were already mixed in the same pot...

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

Comment

*followed, not dumped

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

Comment

I brown my chicken and veggies till translucent add chicken stock then add my roux. Sausage goes in about 20 min before its done. Add fresh green onions on top right at the end.

Comment

Working...
                      X