Best V8 Engine Out There?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
    Do some reading on the 5.3 with cylinder deactivation, may change your mind wanting one.
    I've read up on it and didn't see anything that should scare me away?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I will put this blunt, they burn oil and are known to sear off cam shafts. Personally have seen this happen in 2 (5.3) trucks and 1 (6.0 vortex max) (2007.5-2013 year trucks). Personally drive a 2015 tundra with 162,000 miles, expect 300k before any major repairs.

Comment

Tundra!

Comment

I thought I remember people having issues with the 5.3 afm turning cylinders off/on causing problems with burning up cylinders. I was suprised to not see anyone mention if before.

Comment

My dad’s ‘08 suburban with the 5.3 smoked the motor at 165k. It was due to the afm I believe.

Comment

Another vote for more Chevy 6.2 offerings.

Guessing there could be a challenge with current or upcoming mpg regulations/taxes. Anyone know facts on this?

We were disappointed with the rear engine seal failure that occurred on the wife's truck with this engine at under 60k. S*#t happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                I've read up on it and didn't see anything that should scare me away?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                It's bad juju, Johnny.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard M. View Post
                  I thought I remember people having issues with the 5.3 afm turning cylinders off/on causing problems with burning up cylinders. I was suprised to not see anyone mention if before.
                  That's why I mentioned 5.3 without cylinder deactivation in my post above. I believe the issue has been resolved though.

Here is one way to not have to worry about it, an arm disabled. It keeps it working like the older engines, 8 cylinders all the time. https://rangetechnology.com/afm-disabler/

Comment

Originally posted by BETTERLUCKYTHANGOOD View Post
                    Chevy 6.2!!!!
                    Chevy needs to pull their head outta their back side and offer it in a 2500.

The 6.0 is better suited for pulling and has shown to be a strong performer in the 2500 HD. The 6.2 is tuned differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I'm a ford guy but my wife's 13' Tahoe has been good. The interior is a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
                        I have a 2004 GMC 2500HD with the 6.0 It has roughly 250,000 and still going strong so last year I bought a 2017 GMC 2500HD. It also runs great. It is averaging 16+ MPG. I highly recommend one.

-john

2wd? My running average is 9.14. That’s a bunch of stop and go. Tires are 285’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by kcnatural View Post
                          I'm a ford guy but my wife's 13' Tahoe has been good. The interior is a different story.
                          Dash? I helped my dad swap a new one in my moms. What a pain!

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar Angler View Post
                            Dash? I helped my dad swap a new one in my moms. What a pain!

I put a cap in my truck. FIL did the same on their Tahoe. Cheap plastic sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                              The 6.0 is better suited for pulling and has shown to be a strong performer in the 2500 HD. The 6.2 is tuned differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                              That's exactly right & why it's offered in the 1500 & the LT1 & LT4 configuration in the Vette & Camaro line up.

Again, the 6.0 is one reliable gasser if you can get past the mileage.

Comment

Do some reading on the 5.3 with cylinder deactivation, may change your mind wanting one.
                                I will put this blunt, they burn oil and are known to sear off cam shafts. Personally have seen this happen in 2 (5.3) trucks and 1 (6.0 vortex max) (2007.5-2013 year trucks). Personally drive a 2015 tundra with 162,000 miles, expect 300k before any major repairs.
                                Originally posted by Richard M. View Post
                                I believe that was all resolved in 2012 and up.

Comment

Working...
                                X