Anyone ever made a foam kayak???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever made a foam kayak???

I hunt only public land, and water access has proven to be the easiest way to get away from the masses and into lower pressure pockets. But, capable kayaks/canoes are pretty dang expensive. Lots of the water access areas have steep banks and require a very stable craft. I have used (borrowed) a Nucanoe and a Hobie Pro and they seem to be the most stable 2 sit on tops on the market with a high enough weight capacity. Weight adds up quick when you have you, your gear, and a 120lb-190lb field dressed deer all on one craft. The Nucanoe is by far the most stable one I have ever tried out. You can stand on the top of the bow and bounce and not go over the edge.

I have seen several pictures/videos of guys building these foam kayaks. Most aren’t the wide, stable, flat top design I would need. But, I could be easily just change the design some. They seem to use either fiberglass or paint-on-canvas for the outer layer. I guess that I could probably get one done for about half of what a Nucanoe ($1549 msrp)or Hobie ($3,000+) cost new. Heck, I even saw one where the guy made it compatible with the mirage drive.

My needs would be high weight capacity, flat deck (for gear/deer storage), and high stability, and lightweight. I think all of these categories could be achieved with a foam yak...

Has anyone tried one of these? If you have, let me know what you think the pros and cons are with these builds.

For reference....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by IkemanTX; 02-22-2018, 05:43 PM.

Texaskayakfisherman.com have plenty of used kayaks that may be better option. Bought some from there with everything included. Look at older wilderness ride as well. Just giving you different options

Comment

There are lots of kayaks around that meet your requirements at a very reasonable cost. Some less than $500.

Comment

Originally posted by Wellborn Papa View Post
        There are lots of kayaks around that meet your requirements at a very reasonable cost. Some less than $500.

There are several flat top, sit-on-top kayaks, but almost none in that price range range with the stability and 500lb+ weight capacity...

Even used, high capacity kayaks end up near, or above, $1000

Comment

That is cool.
          If nothing else be a fun project for the kids and to say , I built a foam yak[emoji16][emoji106]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Check out jemwatercraft.com for plans and ideas. There are several guys who have built them over on the boat builder forum on TKF and I think a few of the members on here have built one as well. I’ve personally never done a foam one but have built several out of wood. TKF has tons of info on techniques and materials that you can read through and learn from. You will definitely save some money over buying one of the big name yaks but don’t forget to account for the number of hours it will take to build one from scratch! Most of the builders will tell you they have hundreds of hours into many of their yaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Archer4Life View Post
              Check out jemwatercraft.com for plans and ideas. There are several guys who have built them over on the boat builder forum on TKF and I think a few of the members on here have built one as well. I’ve personally never done a foam one but have built several out of wood. TKF has tons of info on techniques and materials that you can read through and learn from. You will definitely save some money over buying one of the big name yaks but don’t forget to account for the number of hours it will take to build one from scratch! Most of the builders will tell you they have hundreds of hours into many of their yaks.

Oh ya, I am quite sure it will take a long time. Time is much cheaper than dollars though. I don’t sleep well thanks to my work schedule, so I’m often up for 4-5 hours alone at night. Projects in the garage are a great thing. I hadn’t heard of TKF, I will check it out. Thanks for the input!

Comment

See if you can find a Cobra Fish and Dive. 600# rating. Brand new I believe there around a grand.

Comment

You may want to look at the Jackson Kayak Kilroy very stable sit in kayak

Comment

Originally posted by 14JKURX View Post
                    You may want to look at the Jackson Kayak Kilroy very stable sit in kayak
                    Those are right in the same price range as the kayaks I listed as out of the range I wanted to pay... it would be a great kayak for fishing, but the sit in style isn’t very good for piling gear and dead deer on top of. Not near as much flat deck space, which is what I like most about the frontier 12.

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                    See if you can find a Cobra Fish and Dive. 600# rating. Brand new I believe there around a grand.
                    For only a few hundred dollar difference, the cobra isn’t near as capable as the Nucanoe, nor as stable. Having sat, and stood, in one on the water, I’d just as soon wait several extra months to go with the frontier 12.

Comment

I’m following this one as I’m in a similar boat. If I’m going to spend $1500 on a nice kayak for better access to public land I might as well just put the cash into a lease and skip the kayak altogether. I didn’t know making my own was an option!

Comment

check southern paddler ,jems watercraft, and tkf they all have excellent build threads
                        Ive built 15 yaks and my advice is to build out of wood, sure will be a lot tougher.
                        ron

Comment

Check out Vibe Sea Ghost 13. $899 and 550lb rating

Comment

a small jon boat might also be a good option for you

Comment

Originally posted by josepht View Post
                              a small jon boat might also be a good option for you
                              yep, or a square back canoe

Comment

Working...
                              X