No announcement yet.

Time to get serious.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rained out this morning. Got a lull so came to stand. No rain right now but not much of a wind either. NNE for what there is but I just don't like it when it's this still. I've got corn at 10 yards in front of and to the left of my blind. The young bucks have been dominating the corn outside of the pen. If I can't get a doe to cooperate tonight outside the pen I may have to turn the Hoyt loose on one inside the pen. Though I want to get one with my recurve my daughter has asked me if I've killed any yet because they are almost out of meat.

Gary

Comment

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Slow night. Best buck was a 5yo 9 that I may have shot with my recurve but he has short tines and is more of a management buck.Click image for larger version

Name:	20161203_170341.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	24474225

Gary

Comment

Good luck... My first weekend trad hunt was in San Saba. I had a 2 hogs 1 turkey weekend, I love San Saba.

Comment

It is a target rich environment. That is an issue though because having them so close it puts a lot of eyes on you. I shot a doe at 9 yards who was running around snorting and scaring off the other deer so she could have the corn pile to her self. She finally gave me a broadside shot and I hurried it and hit her bad. Found her in the pond the next morning. Don't want a repeat of that so it's going to have to be perfect for me to shoot one.

Gary

Comment

Bottom limb hit blind floor when shooting at the short tine ten this morning. I'm admitting defeat here at my lease. None of my set ups are conducive to traditional shooting and trying to "make it work" isn't working. I will save a doe tag to see if I can take one at our new place that has a couple of set ups I can shoot from.Click image for larger version

Name:	20161204_073020.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	24474257
                I may try to spot and stalk some pigs as well.

Gary

Comment

Gary, feel free to PM your number to me and I can likely help you out with your blind- setups. Not to brag but I once killed as many critters as Bisch.

Comment

Originally posted by caughtandhobble View Post
                    Gary, feel free to PM your number to me and I can likely help you out with your blind- setups. Not to brag but I once killed as many critters as Bisch.

Ha! I once killed as many critters as Bisch too! Not having a good place to hunt sucks rotten eggs!

Bisch

Comment

I will have to rethink this for next year for sure. But I'm looking forward to the challenge. I may swing around to the ranch for a hunt or two before I go home and try for one there where I did set up accordingly.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                        Bottom limb hit blind floor when shooting at the short tine ten this morning. I'm admitting defeat here at my lease. None of my set ups are conducive to traditional shooting and trying to "make it work" isn't working. I will save a doe tag to see if I can take one at our new place that has a couple of set ups I can shoot from.[ATTACH]828721[/ATTACH]
                        I may try to spot and stalk some pigs as well.

Gary

Sorry to hear that! I'm pretty sure Murphy was a trad shooter, and that is where his Law came from!!!

Bisch

Comment

Well I am fortunate to have multiple hunting opportunities. There are always pigs if I don't get a deer so I will just have to follow the learning curve.

Gary

Comment

Got a new glove. Shot with it today. I like how much it protects my fingers but it took a little getting used to. I used my tag at my lease with my training wheels. I didn't get to practice much there and worked the last three days. Did get to shoot today and found I still could ride the bike. Daniel said my string was shipping. Looking forward to getting that. Hopefully next week I will take a day or two to go to our ranch where I have a tripod and blind I can easily shoot my recurve from and try again.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                              I have a Krivoman blind that I put my own windows in. They are low enough that it would work fine if elevated. That is a beef I have with just about all mfgrd blinds. They put the windows so high that you can see the sky fine, but they interfere with really close shots, esp when elevated. I don't care about seeing the sky. If most were the same size, but 6" lower, it would really help trad folks out.

Bisch
                              Now you know darn well my windows are that way. I shoot out of my blinds all the time at 6 to 8 foot platforms with no issues. Prob could shoot a deer at 7 yards out of the 6 and about 10 yards out of the 8

Comment

Originally posted by Krivoman View Post
                                Now you know darn well my windows are that way. I shoot out of my blinds all the time at 6 to 8 foot platforms with no issues. Prob could shoot a deer at 7 yards out of the 6 and about 10 yards out of the 8
                                Sorry, I was not implying that there was something wrong with your blinds! They are by far the best ground blinds I have ever hunted from. I do not have one elevated, so i don't know first hand on that. In just about all popups, the windows are too high for trad shooters. Something that the avg compound shooter has no issues with, can be problems for trad guys sometimes because of the different geometries of the bows.

Bisch

Comment

Working...
                                X