No announcement yet.

Longbow vs Recurve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lot of good stuff here, it all boils down to what you like.

I started with a longbow so the longbow has a special place in my heart. I do shoot my Journeyman recurve better than anything I've ever shot, but I just love longbows.

I see you're from the Temple area, there is one of the best shots around in your neck of the woods. Try to make some 3D shoots and try some different bows out. Just remember when someone allows you to shoot their bow respect them and their bow.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Comment

I'd start with Recurve. I shoot both, but started my venture with a recurve. They tend to be a bit easier to shoot when converting.

Comment

Or you could just start with a Hill bow. If you master that, then you will be quite proficient with any of them.

Comment

I'd recommend you go with a recurve. Longbow shooting is more about the bow than the benefits. Recurves are a dime a dozen and there are plenty of folks around that shoot them. So, resources and sound advice are more readily available.

Not taking away in the least from the longbow, just that those of us who choose them over the recurve are willing to adapt to their quirks.

Comment

I shoot recurves better but actually prefer the ol school hill style longbows. For me its all about the challenge. I actually shoot a compound much better than trad. Bows. Longbow are harder to shoot than recurves for most people but they do have benefits. They are very quite shooting and are a lot lighter to carry, some will have some handshock. I think longbow are a little more dependable, less chance of limb twist, but you better be careful slamming truck door or ceiling fans in the house. It is also a problem finding a inexpensive pop upup blind for a 68" bow.

Comment

When you ask such a question on a public forum you will get a plethora of answers because we all have opinions and that's ok. You can read through them all but when it comes down to it only you can decide which one you prefer, so shoot them both for awhile and decide which you prefer or get one of each. Same goes with which bowyer or manufacturer you choose.

Comment

Originally posted by LostHawg View Post
                I'd recommend you go with a recurve. Longbow shooting is more about the bow than the benefits. Recurves are a dime a dozen and there are plenty of folks around that shoot them. So, resources and sound advice are more readily available.

Not taking away in the least from the longbow, just that those of us who choose them over the recurve are willing to adapt to their quirks.
                Amen...you said alot right there bud !

Comment

Originally posted by muddydog View Post
                  I shoot recurves better but actually prefer the ol school hill style longbows. For me its all about the challenge. I actually shoot a compound much better than trad. Bows. Longbow are harder to shoot than recurves for most people but they do have benefits. They are very quite shooting and are a lot lighter to carry, some will have some handshock. I think longbow are a little more dependable, less chance of limb twist, but you better be careful slamming truck door or ceiling fans in the house. It is also a problem finding a inexpensive pop upup blind for a 68" bow.
                  And thats why i build my own selfbows and make them @ 60"...fits alot of places.

Comment

I love shooting the longbow when I'm not shooting the recurve and vice versa.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowyer View Post
                      I love shooting the longbow when I'm not shooting the recurve and vice versa.
                      This!

Comment

FWIW I started on a recurve. I now shoot both. I'd recommend starting with a recurve for two reasons. One, I think they are easier to learn to shoot proficiently. Two, if you start with something like a Samich Sage, you can get a really decent recurve for not a lot of money. Once you get proficient withe recurve you can get a good longbow see how you like it. They're fun, they're light and I like shooting them, but I wouldn't start with one.

Comment

The grip is the difference for me, most recurves are available with a grip that will feel more familiar to a compound shooter while a traditional longbow has a dished grip and possibly nothing more than a type of locator grip. I think a hybrid is the best compromise going i.e a treestick from acadian woods.
                          Having said that i have an old style sarrels blue ridge i picked up this spring which i'm really starting to like.

Comment

Working...
                          X