Going on our first cruise. Who to use??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are going on a family vacation doing our first cruise this summer. Porting out of Galveston and touching in Mexico and possibly Belize? What cruise line do y'all recommend for a family? I want to book it pretty soon but there are so many websites and cruise lines!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I say Royal C hands down.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
      I say Royal C hands down.

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Okay great, I looked at them and they seemed very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Carnival, just don't take any heart meds

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
            Carnival, just don't take any heart meds
            Carnival ships smell like dooooooo doooooooo

Comment

Depends on what your looking for. Food is defiently better on Royal but my opinion is it's a older crowd and everything shuts down early and not as "fun" if late nights and a younger crowd is your seen. Carnivals food is as good as expected when cooking for 2+ thousand people. Both have "doo doo" boats the thing to remember is look at how recently it was updated or how new it is. We have cruised plenty on both and honestly we prefer Carnival just because it fits us a bit better. You will have a blast on any of them just find what fits your group.
              Oh and my personal opinion is upgrade the room as much as you can..a balcony is nice if you can swing it.

Comment

Been on two

Royal and Carnival

Royal will be where we book our next one.

Balcony is a must. IMO

Comment

Definitely Royal Caribbean, I have been on several Carnival Cruises and its just one big party, and its cool if that's what you're looking for. But if you're looking for a laid back , family oriented cruise, then Royal is the way to go. Its going to be a little more expensive but worth it in my book....

Comment

Another vote for Royal Caribbean, especially if this is a family thing. Did the RC cruise out of Galveston to Cozumel, Caymans and Jamaica and was a good deal.

One point though, these cruises out of Galveston have alot of "on the water" time and not as much excursion time. I'm more of a "get out and see things" type of person so had a little more time on the boat than I would have preferred. I like to eat and drink a few beers with the best of them but got a little goofy by the last day offshore.

Comment

I say go where you want to stay and avoid a cruise altogether. If you like standing in line, mediocre buffet style food, high priced drinks, and crowds, then by all means take a cruise.

Comment

We have been on Royal,Carnival,Princess,and Disney....you get what you pay for.... Disney was by far the best...next was Royal,followed by Princess with Carnival bringing up the rear...for a family with small kids....No doubt,Disney would be the way.Royal seemed to be geared to us older folks,Princess was a kind of middle of the road and Carnival was the SMART CAR...it gets you where you are going without any frills.

Comment

As stated, Royal Caribbean is a little nicer.

I will say, cruises are not for everybody. Some people like them, others not so much. I'm not a huge fan. Just don't like being around that many people for that amount of time. While some of the excursions can be fun, many are very rushed due to the limited amount of time.

The drink passes are worth it if you plan to drink a lot.

Have fun. I had a guy tell me one time, there are 3 types of people on a standard cruise - the newly wed, the fully fed and the almost dead. Funny as it was pretty darn accurate.

Comment

Norwegian if there is one going where you want to go. It is the nicest of them all.

Comment

I'll be the odd man out here-

I've only been on two cruises, one Carnival (5 day) , one Royal Caribbean (7 day) .

The Carnival seemed to have more going on with no slack in things to do.
                              The RC was slow activity wise and at times boring IMHO.

I also give the entertainment not to Carnival. Some of the shows in the RC were just terrible, we and a lot of other folks got up and walked out of one in particular.

We also prefer the shorter cruise, by day 6 on the RC we were done.

The food was equal in quality with portion size going to Carnival.

We enjoyed both cruises but give the nod to Carnival.

The RC did have better port of calls, that's why we went on that one.
                              Flew to Puerto Rico and embarked from there.

I don't plan on doing that again, driving to Galveston is so much easier since its only an hour or so away from where I live.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by DaveC; 04-20-2017, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X